Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678

Thread: Star Wars Forces of Destiny dolls.

Images
    Hmmm. When I saw them in Target a while ago, they were in the "girls" aisle with the Disney toys. Admittedly, I'm more focused on Imaginext when I toy-shop.
    WANTED: POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top portion; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors; vintage Galahad box; minty Wolfman tights; Black Knight sword; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; POTA knife-sword; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes.

Images
    I haven't really followed this line the entire time it's been out, but I first noticed it and have mostly seen it (in stores like Wal-Mart and Target) next to DC Super Hero Girls and the Descendants. In at least one Wal-Mart, these types of lines were the "transition" aisle from traditional girl toys to boys, but these lines were on their own aisle. In a Wal-Mart recently (and I looked to see, because of some of the discussion in this thread), I found one aisle had this Star Wars line (kept separate from the other action figures), Monster High, and DC Super Hero Girls all on one aisle, facing the growing number of nano metal figs and other figurines, including the Funko Pops. The figurine type stuff was separated by the various more or less, so some Star Wars were there, as well as several other options.
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I don't know where you shopped, but here in Wal Mart and other store sI saw them, they were not with the other Star Wars stuff except at TRU (which hey they made such good decisions they are going out) but in with the girls toys dolls, with the Descendants stuff, next to Monster high and DC Super Hero Girls, and they sold well there (I saw them, asked my wife if she was interested, she was, and went back to find they had sold out and had to wait for them to restock before buying the first few for her as a Christmas gift and the rest for her birthday. By the time they went to clearance, there were only a handful left and some characters ha sold out before hitting that deep discount. Not sure what Target did, our Target in this town closed about 4 years back because of poor sales and it's a half hour drive to the closest Target), but it seems where to display them was a retailer by retailer decision and not a line wide decision by Hasbro or Disney, because here where they did what you said they should, they sold well.

-M
    Every store I saw them in. Target Walmart and TRU alike had them placed dead center of the "boys Toys" Star Wars aisle. Target typically had them taking up the prime center 6' dead center right under the big Star Wars sign. And I would be astonished if they moved so much as a single piece of merchandise for weeks or months. The display was always packed solid in the same display orientation. No changes. Never signs of 1 or 2 pieces being sold. Either they did instant restocks as soon as they sold one, or they were moving none. And this was in multiple stores around me. I've done retail and inventory consulting, and I tend to twig on this sort of thing. At least near me (Southeast US) these things were not moving at all. The only figure that seemed to get a little bit of interest was Sabine Wren. I'm not saying this to in any way dump on anybodies favorite toy line. The toys were actually a really neat idea. One that they should have done better with. But I don't think I have ever seen quite this bad a failure of marketing and merchandise planning as this line. If your local store had the good sense to put them over with the Disney Princess and Monster High dolls then Good For Them. They seemingly figured out how to sell them. But that would not appear to be an order that came from Hasbro product management. That was likely somebody local with an ounce of common sense. What makes it worse is we see the exact same mistake comitted with the Marvel "Fan Girl" dolls by Hasbro management. Mattel managed to pull off an upset with their DC Super Hero Girls dolls by putting them in front of girls where they can be bought. Hasbro keeps ignoring common sense rules of how shoppers actually behave.

Quote Originally Posted by patches View Post
    Every store I saw them in. Target Walmart and TRU alike had them placed dead center of the "boys Toys" Star Wars aisle. Target typically had them taking up the prime center 6' dead center right under the big Star Wars sign. And I would be astonished if they moved so much as a single piece of merchandise for weeks or months. The display was always packed solid in the same display orientation. No changes. Never signs of 1 or 2 pieces being sold. Either they did instant restocks as soon as they sold one, or they were moving none. And this was in multiple stores around me. I've done retail and inventory consulting, and I tend to twig on this sort of thing. At least near me (Southeast US) these things were not moving at all. The only figure that seemed to get a little bit of interest was Sabine Wren. I'm not saying this to in any way dump on anybodies favorite toy line. The toys were actually a really neat idea. One that they should have done better with. But I don't think I have ever seen quite this bad a failure of marketing and merchandise planning as this line. If your local store had the good sense to put them over with the Disney Princess and Monster High dolls then Good For Them. They seemingly figured out how to sell them. But that would not appear to be an order that came from Hasbro product management. That was likely somebody local with an ounce of common sense. What makes it worse is we see the exact same mistake comitted with the Marvel "Fan Girl" dolls by Hasbro management. Mattel managed to pull off an upset with their DC Super Hero Girls dolls by putting them in front of girls where they can be bought. Hasbro keeps ignoring common sense rules of how shoppers actually behave.
    Or it was someone in the southeast at your stores without a lick of sense to put them with the girls toys, because pretty much everyone but TRU (and anything and everything about TRU's business strategy should be in question because they are closing their doors) around here, and back home in New England where my mom lives, had them with the girls toys. And they moved moderately well in those places. So my anecdotal evidence counters your anecdotal evidence and neither of us really knows what recommendations Hasbro made in how to display them or which strategy was the norm over a larger area.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Or it was someone in the southeast at your stores without a lick of sense to put them with the girls toys, because pretty much everyone but TRU (and anything and everything about TRU's business strategy should be in question because they are closing their doors) around here, and back home in New England where my mom lives, had them with the girls toys. And they moved moderately well in those places. So my anecdotal evidence counters your anecdotal evidence and neither of us really knows what recommendations Hasbro made in how to display them or which strategy was the norm over a larger area.

-M
    I can't speak with National. But I do speak with one of the regional ToysRus Product Managers out of the McDonough center. She told me that for that sort of thing shelf positioning is determined by Hasbro and the IP holder. Although she had seen some merchants finally quietly say heck no and put the stuff where it will sell. Hasbro or the similar merchant effectively owns or leases those shelves, not the stores. They are not supposed to get creative (unless of course it works. Then it was the plan all along.) But we are getting too far into the weeds here. I'm happy that somewhere somehow some manager with common sense managed to put the toys in the hands of an appreciative audience. It just seems that most from the national and regional levels did not. It's not just anecdotal, Hasbro released their shareholders report last month. It mentioned a few of the lines, and the ups and downs. Looking at the detail sheets FoD looks to have done fairly poorly. With almost no re-orders from merchants. It's also where you see the pattern of TLJ selling much worse than TFA or Rogue One. (That one was a failure of art design. There was nothing in the movie that was particularly "toyetic". The space ships all looked like half finished trash heaps. The characters all felt like half finished trash heaps.)

The one other, I hesitate to call it odd, thing about the FoD dolls is which sold well? Sabine Wren, the badass Mandalorian purple haired chick in full painted up Battle Armor. She was certainly the coolest looking of the dolls. But she was probably the least well known of the characters to the female fans target audience. Yet she is the hardest to find as TRU blows them all out on clearance.

Images
    More new episodes up on YouTube. Wonder what Mark thinks of working with someone else besides Carrie Fisher as Leia?

Images
    They just tied this series into the Solo movie. I won't say much and leave it at that.