Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New closeup look at MPC Pirates of the Caribbean reissues!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

New closeup look at MPC Pirates of the Caribbean reissues!

Round2/Lindberg has confirmed that "Hex Marks the Spot" is only the first of the entire lineup of 1972 POTC kits to be reissued.

The kits will retain their original "Zap Action" features and pirate medallions, and will include all new decal sheets for ultra detailing!

"Set adrift and drudges weak Pursuit of yer gold and sapphire lot What ye find is not what ye seek When a HEX marks the spot." Emerging from the depths of the
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Wow, those are awesome. I wish I had more time and money.

Comment

• SpaceCrawler
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 20, 2008

Nice to finally see close ups. They look good, but I wish they had spent the extra money to license the box art. That's nearly half the value of these old kits.

Sean

Comment

• tay666
        Career Member
        • Dec 27, 2008

I'm pretty sure that Disney doesn't want to license the box art.
        I know Round2 has been looking into these kits for a long time now. If they could have made licensing work, they would have.

Comment

• SpaceCrawler
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 20, 2008

Originally posted by tay666
          I'm pretty sure that Disney doesn't want to license the box art.
          I know Round2 has been looking into these kits for a long time now. If they could have made licensing work, they would have.
          I asked Round 2 on their Facebook page and they said the art was available for licensing but they felt it was too expensive. So not only does the art exist still but it's available for licensing from Disney. I would have paid a bit more per kit to have reproduction boxes because these kits are not really great on their own- half the value is the nostalgia factor for people who had them as kids (like me), which includes box art (which was pretty great) and Disney park/ride connection. In my opinion companies are missing the point of re-releasing these old kits or toys when they don't also reproduce the boxes/packaging.

Sean

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by enyawd72
            Round2/Lindberg has confirmed that "Hex Marks the Spot" is only the first of the entire lineup of 1972 POTC kits to be reissued.

The kits will retain their original "Zap Action" features and pirate medallions, and will include all new decal sheets for ultra detailing!

http://www.collectormodel.com/round2....k0GbpiS4.dpbs
            Thanks for the link. I don't remember the pirate medallion and coin from the original kit--is this new or was it in the original kit?

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• tay666
              Career Member
              • Dec 27, 2008

Original.

Comment

• tay666
                Career Member
                • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by SpaceCrawler
                I asked Round 2 on their Facebook page and they said the art was available for licensing but they felt it was too expensive. So not only does the art exist still but it's available for licensing from Disney.
                So, that's the current company line. Ok.
                All I know is back in 2013 while chatting with one of the R2 guys over drinks at a show I was told they were looking into them. Really wanted to reissue them. But the hold up was the mouse. They wanted so much for licensing that it would at least triple the cost of the kits. He got the impression that they really had no interest in bringing these back, but if someone was willing to cough up stupid money to do it, then they would allow it.

Personally, I don't care. I just want to build the kits again.
                I've already got a few of the boxes. And once these come out, the price of originals will come way down. Once the builders are satisfied the only ones that will really hold any value will be ones with minty boxes.
                I'm happy with less than minty, so I am sure I will be able to pic up some original packaging fairly cheaply.

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by tay666
                  I was told they were looking into them. Really wanted to reissue them. But the hold up was the mouse. They wanted so much for licensing that it would at least triple the cost of the kits.
                  And that right there is why I can't stand Disney...when is it EVER enough for them? That type of corporate greed just makes me sick. I'm glad R2 didn't pay their extortion money. No matter what name is on the box, these are still Pirates of the Caribbean...so now instead of getting something, the mouse gets NOTHING, and we still get the same models. Win-win in my book.

I was even informed by Barnes and Noble that whenever they have a sale on DVD's and Blu-Rays, all Disney, Marvel, and Star Wars titles are excluded by order of the mouse.

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 15, 2010

Thanks for sharing the original kit instructions with the pirate medallion and coin.

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• tay666
                      Career Member
                      • Dec 27, 2008

If anyone wants to see more of them, I've got scans up on this part of my site

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎