• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott metzger
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 9, 2007

Batman wave 5 thoughts...

Just got these:

Batgirl: pretty good job on an update. One problem with the plastic gloved arms is that they are consistently loose at the elbows, and that pops up again here. They look good, though. THe boots work as long as the painted yellow bat ears shape on the legs stays aligned well; the leg material does have a tendency of slipping up, which wouldn't be a big problem if they had simply made the yellow go down a little further. The cape is nice and full and posable. The head had potential, but is a bit squashed front to back as seems the norm now, and she still has that sort of blank, deer in the headlights look we saw from the early prototype. Still, a good, if not great, figure.

Catwoman: Same had as the black version we got a little while back, but the problems with it are better hidden here. The cape hides the hunched forward neck when you have her looking straight ahead (the hole for the neck plug in the head is still at an angle that makes her look up if the neck is straight). Some squashing, but the hair in the back helps distract from it. The costume is very well done here, except for another frequent problem: the wires in the cape weren't sewn into the seam right. They popped out the bottom on both sides and I had to work them back in. The wires are a great feature and add a lot to the display value of the figures, but more and more they are sticking out on arrival. The way the costume is tapered with some extra seams to fit right is impressive, and I like the choice of the more detailed boots to standard hero boots here; they work better for this costume. Definitely the best figure in this set, despite the few problems.

Ivy: Yeah, the costume is kind of a mess. I see what they were going for, but the execution fell short, and she has a hard time posing without flashing you as the top slips down constantly. Had they simply gone with a screen print leaf pattern, I think the costume would have been among their best; the rest of the design works nicely. The leaf band with the elastic looks good, but it slides off easily. And the head is definitely the wrong choice; Daisy doesn't work on any level here. Either the IG head or the standard female would have been a better choice.

Two-Face: Aside from head squash, the sculpt here is really good. This is a classic 70's Harvey all the way, and the details are just nasty enough without going into the more modern total gross-out approach. He's got the guyliner problem, though; again, black lines under the male eyes are not working, and it looks especially distracting on the scarred side. THe costume is again classic, with everything two-sided (as opposed to the utterly boring modern look in a cranberry blazer. Yeesh!). He's a reeaaaaly close second to Catwoman as best of the wave, and likely would have edged her out if she hadn't gotten such a great and distinctly sewn costume. If it wasn't for the head squash, I'd likely get an extra.
  • rodkeith
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 16, 2008

Just ordered these last week, looking forward to them. Appreciate the review! I'll see if they have any of the same problems (or brand-new ones).

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 13, 2016

I am looking forward to tearing apart the Ivy and fixing her.

-Diana

Comment

• lilbrosj66
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by scott metzger
        Just got these:

Batgirl: pretty good job on an update. One problem with the plastic gloved arms is that they are consistently loose at the elbows, and that pops up again here. They look good, though. THe boots work as long as the painted yellow bat ears shape on the legs stays aligned well; the leg material does have a tendency of slipping up, which wouldn't be a big problem if they had simply made the yellow go down a little further. The cape is nice and full and posable. The head had potential, but is a bit squashed front to back as seems the norm now, and she still has that sort of blank, deer in the headlights look we saw from the early prototype. Still, a good, if not great, figure.

Catwoman: Same had as the black version we got a little while back, but the problems with it are better hidden here. The cape hides the hunched forward neck when you have her looking straight ahead (the hole for the neck plug in the head is still at an angle that makes her look up if the neck is straight). Some squashing, but the hair in the back helps distract from it. The costume is very well done here, except for another frequent problem: the wires in the cape weren't sewn into the seam right. They popped out the bottom on both sides and I had to work them back in. The wires are a great feature and add a lot to the display value of the figures, but more and more they are sticking out on arrival. The way the costume is tapered with some extra seams to fit right is impressive, and I like the choice of the more detailed boots to standard hero boots here; they work better for this costume. Definitely the best figure in this set, despite the few problems.

Ivy: Yeah, the costume is kind of a mess. I see what they were going for, but the execution fell short, and she has a hard time posing without flashing you as the top slips down constantly. Had they simply gone with a screen print leaf pattern, I think the costume would have been among their best; the rest of the design works nicely. The leaf band with the elastic looks good, but it slides off easily. And the head is definitely the wrong choice; Daisy doesn't work on any level here. Either the IG head or the standard female would have been a better choice.

Two-Face: Aside from head squash, the sculpt here is really good. This is a classic 70's Harvey all the way, and the details are just nasty enough without going into the more modern total gross-out approach. He's got the guyliner problem, though; again, black lines under the male eyes are not working, and it looks especially distracting on the scarred side. THe costume is again classic, with everything two-sided (as opposed to the utterly boring modern look in a cranberry blazer. Yeesh!). He's a reeaaaaly close second to Catwoman as best of the wave, and likely would have edged her out if she hadn't gotten such a great and distinctly sewn costume. If it wasn't for the head squash, I'd likely get an extra.
        NO! I was so hoping this wouldn't be another "flat-head" female sculpt. Seriously, what the heck is with the guy that does these? Does he not read the boards? All we want is a decent, feminine looking, normal headed, non-angry drag queen looking, even eyed, non-lantern jawed sculpt. Is that too much to ask? Seriously. I'm asking! Well, I ordered her so I hope it isn't too bad. Fingers crossed.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 4, 2011

So I got my Batgirl and Two-Face figures. Passed on the Ivy and Catwoman, because, not to sound boastfull, but I have my own customs that I like better. Anyhoo, LOVE Two-Face. I think FTC did a great job on him. Batgirl, while not horrible, does have a few issues:
          1. Her head is too lose on the neck post
          2. Her eyes are crooked and all wonky looking.
          3. And this is more QC than anything, mine arrived with a snagged costume.

I'll be requesting a replacement for her from FTC.

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

Comment

• Slarivier
            • Sep 21, 2014

Hm, I actually like the mouth on this Batgirl better than the preview picture. I might order her, unless others have the same quality issues as you're having. I hope you get it resolved

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎