X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • libby 1957dog
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 3, 2009

Originally posted by MRP
    According to the Hollywood Reporter, the trailer was viewed 136 million times in the first 24 hours shattering the record for a trailer viewing for Disney, by surpassing the views for both Beauty & the Beast and The Force Awakens.

http://movieweb.com/thor-ragnarok-tr...marvel-disney/

though speculation is, it will hold the record only until Satr Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi's trailer hits as part of Star Wars Celebration.
    -M
    how accurate is it counting FB and Twitter views though . as i understand it ,it autoplays, and that it is still counted as a view,even if you scroll past it. They plastered the trailer across multiple character pages, like IM and CA, so it would naturally have got more views.

But that said on you tube yeah its doing really well. and is i said not crazy about thors "goofy "performance so far ,but im sure ill enjoy it on some level

add in the fact that this is the first footage we have seen from Thor

just glad these comic book films regardless of who makes them are still creating massive interest and great bo .and not the fatigue thats been predicted

and probably more important to me anyway , great figures and merch

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

The trailer got a lot of coverage due to dropping cold on a Monday. That was either clever or lucky.

I don't put much stock in PR numbers. That's like the Netflix/Marvel ones touted by fan sites, which are based on social media metrics that don't mean jack. Especially when it comes to Marvel who've always been suspect for guerilla marketing. Studios hiring firms to control social media reaction is not new. The one time real Netflix viewing numbers got out was for DD S1 and first week viewing was in the realm of Agents of SHIELD.

I don't doubt Thor did well. I doubt it did better than JL or WW. This is the diff between Disney/Marvel and WB. The former knows how to promote, the latter reacts like deer in headlights.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 3, 2009

thanks again for your insite , interesting about the controlling of social media by studios ,that certainly plays into my theory ,or crack pot paranoia ,

about the "its not that i win ,but everyone else has to lose " mentality shown by some message boards i frequent ,it seems some on there have a "top red " mentality

on my football teams fan site red cafe , you get the poster ,referred to as the" top red ",who blindly praises every thing about the club and gives no credit and pours abuse on any opposition team or player in the hope they are seen as a superfan

i think that the appetite and long wait for good star wars produce has fed into to some of this negativity that the dccu is getting generally,

" i'm a biggest and best fan because i hate everything not star wars and their little brother marvel "

and they try and in some way are succeeding to kill of the competition ,that and the fact that warners have and are making films that are divisive to fans and public alike doesn't help them at all ,but it is what it is

to be clear im not implying any on this board are indulging in this type of thinking ,on the whole we all love the comic book guys from any company or most wouldn't be here , and are fair and even in their assessments and criticisms and concerns ,

but its a big world out there and the "thread crapping "that i seeon the sideshow boards film and figure sections by certain posters certainly fits this profile

makes me wonder how marvel movies would fair if they weren't owned by disney and considered competition

as for me im like mego , i like em both
        Last edited by libby 1957dog; Apr 14, '17, 4:58 AM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ They were doing fine before Disney bought them up, so I doubt there would be much of a difference. The model they used of universe building worked and is still working. DC tried too hard to jump in fast to get caught up it left them floundering for direction.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

WB also made the mistake of getting behind an "aueter" in Snyder, hoping to catch the Nolan-lightning in the bottle once more. While Marvel has been criticized for pushing strong directors aside in favor of more workman-like "jobbers", you can't deny it makes for much better universe-building.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• WannabeMego
              Made in the USA
              • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
              ^^^ They were doing fine before Disney bought them up, so I doubt there would be much of a difference.
              I agree...Marvel wasn't stealing or threatening any market that Disney had...that is why Disney acquired them.
              Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by WannabeMego
                I agree...Marvel wasn't stealing or threatening any market that Disney had...that is why Disney acquired them.
                It's been discussed quite often in many places (moreso on business oriented sites than fan sites though) that Disney's primary motivation for acquiring both Marvel and Lucasfilm was to address their traditional longstanding weakness of developing properties that succeed in the "boys toys" market. Their own attempts to break out into those markets with things like Tron, John Cater, etc. were only the most recent examples of their failure and inability to crack that market, and in acquiring Marvel and Lucasfilm, they acquired 2 major successes in that market with proven records in film and merchandising of that property in areas where their own portfolio was weak. The moves by Disney were calculated to strengthen their overall portfolio in the area they had been weakest. Getting proven sellers in that area under their corporate umbrella instantly turned an area of weakness into one of strength and possible dominance in that area.

-M
                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

They weren't doing fine before Disney bought them. Outside Spidey and X, no studio was willing to move on any other characters, mainly due to Hulk, FF and Punisher, but Elektra and the offshoots like Mutant X, gave everybody cold feet on secondary and tertiary characters. That forced Arad to convince Perlmutter to secure their own credit line, 800M against all the ip they stilled controlled. Iron Man was a success but it's return was eaten by Inc Hulk. So after Marvel moved on with Cap and Thor, they were caught that their ROI was enough to pay the loan, but not enough build their own financing.

Arad wanted to continue, believing Avengers would pay off the loan and shore up their financing, but Perlmutter did not, which is why he brought in Maisel, whose career was mergers/acquisitions. Ike felt one bomb in the midst of the occurring recession would break the company up between creditor and studios, so he had Maisel find the best suitor. They thought it would be Universal or Fox, but Disney came in with a ridiculous offer directed at Perlmutter. Universal and Fox were not going to let Ike own shares or allow Marvel to be independent the way Iger was willing to. Arad protested, then left. Ike sold.

While it's true Disney wanted Marvel to gain a lost market, Iger gave up a lot because his comic industry lineage goes back to the Golden Age. It would be like Julius Erving's grandson buying the Lakers or Celtics.

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                    Plus at times,he came off as an idiot. Don't think comic or movie Thor have yet.
                    Have you read Neil Gaiman's take on Thor in The Sandman? Talk about an idiot. Gaiman's Odin and Loki are badarse though.

Led Zep's "Immigrant Song" is perfect for a trailer of a film called "Ragnarok", that was awesome!

Comment

• YoungOnce
                      Career Member
                      • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      ^The Batfleck reaction trailer was hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

WB has to be squirming a bit. The weakest Marvel franchise just dropped a winning trailer that has nearly everyone...even those who wrote these films off, really pumped to see this. Meanwhile the Justice League trailer, the first look at the centerpiece of their shared universe got the response "hey it looks lighter than BvS...so that's something, right?". People in general still seem more legitimately excited by Wonder Woman's film.

I actually hope JL IS lighter and more enjoyable, but I'd much rather see the color palette and tone of Ragnorok applied to the DCU, and we can leave Snyder-vision behind.

Chris
                      Bingo on all points. Yessiree.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by cjefferys
                        Have you read Neil Gaiman's take on Thor in The Sandman? Talk about an idiot. Gaiman's Odin and Loki are badarse though.

Led Zep's "Immigrant Song" is perfect for a trailer of a film called "Ragnarok", that was awesome!
                        I was going mostly by what I've seen on History Channel. Dude tried drinking an ocean.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

Thor is a very multi-faceted god in the Scandinavian-Teutonic-Anglo-Saxon myths.
                          He is not idiotic like Gaiman portrays him in that Sandman story.
                          Any close reading of the Prose Edda and Poetic Edda will reveal that he absolutely isn't "all brawn and no brains" in any way whatsoever.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                              HULK SMASH!
                              • Apr 3, 2010

Official Trailer:

And in other Marvel movie news...
                              Michelle Pfeiffer has been cast as Janet Van Dyne and Laurence Fishburne as Dr. Bill Foster AKA Black Goliath in "Ant-Man and the Wasp."
                              Last edited by Bruce Banner; Jul 23, '17, 7:01 AM.
                              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

Geez, this movie looks like a lot of fun! And I actually like that poster! It has an actual design!

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎