X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

My new aquarium

When my wife and I moved into our place in '94, I had set up a 135 gallon freshwater aquarium. Kept Angelfish and Discus with live plants, driftwood and rocks. Even had freshwater clams for a while. It was beautiful. But we eventually had to get rid of it to make room for a computer desk. I had to settle for a 2 gallon aquarium that I kept in the kitchen. Well, after many years of asking/begging, my wife allowed me to move up to 3 1/2 gallons. Hey, you take what you can get.

Got a male Betta as Lord of the tank. Some rocks, Anubia plants and driftwood. Got an under-gravel filter. Light is low enough to the water that it keeps it warm enough where I don't need to add a heater. Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia levels are good.

This is Beowulf:

Added a Zebra Nerite Snail to keep him company:

Please post pics of your aquariums, if you have one.
    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Used to have a huge one back in the 70's

One night the filter caught fire while everyone was sleeping.

We all woke up with black soot on our noses even though were we all in different rooms.

Luckily it just smoldered and didn't start a fire.

My mom said THAT'S IT !!! NO MORE FISH !!!!! and the tank and fish were gone

We wound up getting a parakeet

Comment

• J.B.
      Guild Navigator
      • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Mikey
      Used to have a huge one back in the 70's

One night the filter caught fire while everyone was sleeping.

We all woke up with black soot on our noses even though were we all in different rooms.

Luckily it just smoldered and didn't start a fire.

My mom said THAT'S IT !!! NO MORE FISH !!!!! and the tank and fish were gone

We wound up getting a parakeet
      That's funny and scary at the same time, Mikey.

My friend had a 60 gallon freshwater tank which had a 6" Bala Shark that ran things.

One night, when everyone was asleep, that Bala decided to jump out the tank. The family dog saw this silvery thing flopping around on the ground and started barking its head off. My friend woke up from the barking and was able to save the Shark.

Comment

• YoungOnce
        Career Member
        • Aug 29, 2007

That is beautiful. Aquariums are so relaxing. We used to have one... Didn't know better and we put a little eel in it. It ate all the fish, then after that, it jumped out every night. I hated putting that thing back in each time. Too much like a snake.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
          Persistent Member
          • Apr 28, 2013

Love aquariums. My cousin had two large tanks with discus fish. I dont think that is what they were but they were shaped like that. He added a fish without quarantining it first and it had something that wiped out all the fish in that tank. He started up again but it cost him a few thousand dollars in fish. I know those little Bettas live in shallow water in the wild but I'm sure he loves all the room you have given him!

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 13, 2016

Beautiful Fish!
            To be honest live fish terrify me. Yes, even little tiny ones.
            But it is a very nice aquarium. ....full of scary fish.
            -Diana

Comment

• LordMudd
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 22, 2011

True story. I had a pet squirrel for 9 years. We would wear terrycloth bathrobes and let him climb us like trees. There were 4 cabinets down one wall of the den, which I still have, then turn the corner to an old stereo cabinet with a polished top that he liked to "swim" on. It was about 2-3 inches higher than the cabinets. One day he got away from us at the end of the cabinets and at a dead run made the corner and belly slid the length of the stereo.

We had the fish tank down off of the bar for cleaning.

As his momentum faded, he looked down at this tank of water below him. His legs shot out to catch the sides of the tank.

He just wasn't quite wide enough.

CCC.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 20, 2011

I've got a 20 Tall currently up and running that I've had for probably 23 years. Fish have come and gone in it, but one of its original residents, a plecostamus, is still there, just swimming back and forth.i have no idea how fish years equate to people years, but he's as old as the tank is, so I'm guessing he's a pretty old dude (or chick) by now. He's about eight to nine inches long from stem to stern and the tank is a bit of a squeeze for him. I bought a 65-gallon setup at PetSmart back on Black Friday that I haven't had a chance to get up and running yet (still need to reinforce the tank stand with 2 x 4s since 65 gallons of water clocks in at about 600 pounds, give or take), but when I do, I'll take some pics and post 'em.

And Diana, if little, live fish scare you, this pleco, who's heavily armored and has a fin on his back that would make the Batmobile jealous, would likely send you screaming into the night! LOL!
                sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Boy_Wonder_1978
                  Career Member
                  • Apr 30, 2015

Nice tank and beautiful fish. I'm getting a nano saltwater tank pretty soon.

For now, here's my Juwel 450 litre with my 6 Red Belly Piranha. Please excuse the lotions and potions mess underneath the stand. They just need to be put back in the cupboard where they belong.

IMG_0626.jpg

Comment

• J.B.
                    Guild Navigator
                    • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Boy_Wonder_1978
                    Nice tank and beautiful fish. I'm getting a nano saltwater tank pretty soon.

For now, here's my Juwel 450 litre with my 6 Red Belly Piranha. Please excuse the lotions and potions mess underneath the stand. They just need to be put back in the cupboard where they belong.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20509[/ATTACH]
                    Love the Piranhas. What do you feed those rascals? I think they're illegal in California.

Comment

• Boy_Wonder_1978
                      Career Member
                      • Apr 30, 2015

They get fed a little bit of everything really. Shrimp, Fish, steak, beef heart and chicken on a rare occasion. Very rarely with chicken as it can mess around with the water parameters. I give them Cichlid pellets every now and then, but they make a hell of a mess when they're passed back out again.
                      I've read that Piranha are banned in the US, but if I've got it right, only in certain states. Would that be correct?

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Pretty!

We used to have a lovely aquarium before kids.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ODBJBG
                          Permanent Member
                          • May 15, 2009

Groovy.

Comment

• J.B.
                            Guild Navigator
                            • Jun 23, 2010

I remember my baby sitter had this guy in her tank. No wonder her fish always looked stressed. Love how they added Cardinal Tetras in the artwork.

Comment

• gummi
                              Career Member
                              • Dec 2, 2009

Nice looking tank! It's great to see a betta not being kept in an 8 ounce container.
                              "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎