X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

Movie poster question

I'm pretty sure Dwayne will be held go to on this question but I thought I'd ask the community. What is considered a standard size? I'm decorating my new house, specifically the media room, with framed vinyl and framed movie posters.

I've seen two size options, 24 x 36 or 27 x 40. I want all of these to be uniform in size so what is the most popular, accessible?

I'll have space for six posters, I just need to figure out which ones truly represent me and that I absolutely love. Any help on sizing is appreciated!
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Ask and ye shall receive...LOL. The current standard size for a "real" as in theatrical one sheet is 27x40. 24x36 is the size for most reproductions. However, one sheets older than 1980 or so are actually 27x41. At some point the industry standard changed and they shaved an inch off.

Other standard U.S. sizes no longer made are:

mini window card (8x14)
    lobby card (11x14)
    jumbo lobby card (14x17)
    window card (14x22)
    jumbo window card (22x28)
    half sheet (22x28) horizontal
    insert (14x36)
    rolled one sheet (30x40)
    rolled three sheet (40x60)
    door panel (20x60)
    subway posters (54x41)
    three sheet (41x81)
    six sheet (81x81)
    24 sheet or billboard (246x108)

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 13, 2016

I would go with 24x36 personally. Frames are more accessible unless you want pricey custom frames ( I don't like spending much on frames if I don't have to).
      It's still a large enough size to be eye-catching without engulfing the wall.
      I have a really large framed Batman Returns framed poster I was given as a gift and it is so "overwhelming" that I haven't been able to even hang it in the last 2 houses I've lived in.
      That's my 2 cents, cuz that's about how much its worth. :P
      -Diana

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

For your purposes RA, 24x36 reproductions are much easier to find frames for. If you prefer originals, they do make 27x40 frames for current size one sheets, but if you're looking to frame that 1977 Star Wars one sheet...anything older than 1981-1982 or so is gonna require a custom job.

If you want a cool original poster from an older film I highly recommend inserts. They look fantastic in groups, are pretty affordable, and don't take up nearly as much wall space.
        Last edited by enyawd72; Apr 4, '17, 4:39 PM.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Personally I love 14 X 36 inserts.

They fit in cheap Walmart frames (frames need to be sliced down to make a neat look)

Being a bit obscure and not in crazy demand they're the least counterfeited.

Lastly, they look great and fit almost anywhere ... Right now I have a 1962 Taras Bulba in my bathroom and it looks fantastic

Last edited by Mikey; Apr 4, '17, 7:24 PM.

Comment

• Goblin19
            Talkative Member
            • May 2, 2002

Walmart has decent 27x40 frames for about 20 bucks.

Comment

• Random Axe
              The Voice of Reason
              • Apr 16, 2008

Since most printing vendors use 24x36 I'll stick with that for now. Along the perimeter I'll have these all at the same height. My actual toyroom in the sub basement won't gave such rules or restrictions. Now I have to figure out which posters...

Comment

• JRT!
                Museum Super Collector
                • Sep 6, 2015

Ikea also has decent prices on the 27x40 frames. It's where I got mine for all my movie posters. Well,not ALL per se,as I have hundreds and hundreds of movies posters,lol! I change'em out every once'n'awhile,and only have the really great ones on permanent display. The art deco Rocketeer I truly love,I also like the first teaser poster for the first Spider-Man movie,the whole ad campaign they had to scrap because of 9/11. I also have a repro of the iconic SW poster,and first BttF movie. But the rest of the posters are about to be changed out. Time for some new ones,methinks.

Comment

• drquest
                  ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                  • Apr 17, 2012

I've purchased a few 27X41 sized frames from this company. They load from the front and are very nice.

I have my original Revenge of the Jedi and Raiders of the Lost Ark in these.

http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/
                  Danny(Drquest)
                  Captain Action HQ
                  Retro shirts and stuff
                  More retro shirts
                  Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Random Axe
                    The Voice of Reason
                    • Apr 16, 2008

I have space for six posters in the main media room so I think I've got a decent list and good mix. These are films that are important to me or just have a special meaning. I'm going with

Tropic Thunder
                    Superman 1978
                    Star Wars original
                    Fifth Element
                    Top Gun(julies choice)
                    Big Trouble in Little China

That's the plan now. Most are available through Amazon.

Comment

• sprytel
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 26, 2009

Big Trouble in Little China!

I'd find a way to include Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, but all very respectable choices.

Comment

• LadyZod
                        Superman's Gal Pal
                        • Jan 27, 2007

Since all my one sheets are theater used, they normally have signs of wear at the corners (pin pricks) so getting a 27x40 frame is fine. I just fold half an inch on the top and bottom.

Most 1 sheets from the 1980's and back have ample bleed space for folding.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                        Check out my art:
                        Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                        Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• Captain Big Trousers
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 14, 2012

My father was given some (random) movie posters by a cinema manager around 1978, so he wallpapered them to one of my bedroom walls.

I had a black box for a head back then, as was the fashion at the time.

Anyway, I've always thought it was a good idea, so I made this wall at our last house...

Posters chosen purely on design and colour.
                          Even My Henchmen Think I'm Crazy.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎