X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
    Personally, I think a lot of their output looked rushed.
    They indeed looked rushed.

They looked like vague cartoony "Real Ghostbusters"-esque likenesses (moreso, I believe, than the vintage Star Wars line, which many including myself chalked up the poor resemblances to actual actors).

They (the ones in question) weren't appropriate for collectors who demanded more investment in accuracy of the face sculpts.

It all comes down to their lack of concern in higher quality sculpting.

As you mentioned, I think they are about finished with that mindset.

The reason why I'm so vocal on this is I'm just trying to point out (maybe not so incidentally, as Mego themselves were guilty of this) that early on Funko/Super7 weren't all that concerned with the sculpts, yet they still made progress simply because they rocked grabbing licences and created toys/collectibles where the sum was greater than the parts.

Sure, you couldn't really see MJF in facial features of the McFly figure... but it could sell on the aspects of the retro card and the other retro resemblances from a beloved franchise alone.

I find that aspect of the toy industry fascinating... it says a lot about manufacturers, media franchises AND collectors.
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Falstaff13
      Persistent Member
      • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by rykerw1701
      The variant Mr. Freeze has already got me hesitating to get into this line. The better online retailers will be hit or miss as at least Entertainment Earth seems to plan to distribute them randomly. Getting one at retail would be a major pain at best and likely fruitless, and ebay is going to be expensive. It's feeding the scalpers.

So it looks like a really great, fun line, but this variant thing is irritating.
      And will there be a George Sanders variant as well? They make efforts to get some of the options, and I hope they cover all.
      Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
      Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• phil
        Persistent Member
        • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by Falstaff13
        And will there be a George Sanders variant as well? They make efforts to get some of the options, and I hope they cover all.
        I would have preferred a George Sanders Mr. Freeze over the other two.

Comment

• Falstaff13
          Persistent Member
          • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by phil
          I would have preferred a George Sanders Mr. Freeze over the other two.
          I think I just want a George Sanders figure!
          Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
          Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

^lol Me, too.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• rykerw1701
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 27, 2007

Looks like the Batman Screen Test version is also a chase figure, according to 13th Dimension. I will say at least we know this going in, so if you get frustrated or pay too much to get a complete collection you have no one to blame but yourself.

Comment

• phil
                Persistent Member
                • May 11, 2007

Making the Screen Test Batman a chase figure is stupid. I would think it would be popular with collectors because it is something different. I was looking forward to that one. I may have just decided not to bother with this line after what I've already pre-ordered.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^Funko released that excellent First Appearance Superman figure ONLY in their Legion of Collectors subscription service. It's mind-boggling to think they limit sales on stuff like that.

I got one, and I love it, but that thing should be at retail!!!

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

Making the Screen Test Batman a chase figure is stupid. I would think it would be popular with collectors because it is something different.
                    Wouldn't "different" make it a prime candidate for being a chase figure?

And isn't this B'66 line more for a broad market than a more focused "collector" mentality like some other recent 3 3/4 figure lines?

I mean, I'm a huge superhero nerd, Batman '66 included. I consider myself to almost be "collector" level hungry (although I'll never collect carded figures)...but even I never knew there was a "screen test" outfit.

I suppose this line is possibly just as much for the MOC retro-esque collector as it is for more mainstream Batman fans.

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    ^Funko released that excellent First Appearance Superman figure ONLY in their Legion of Collectors subscription service. It's mind-boggling to think they limit sales on stuff like that.
                    I am guessing that it was a notably easy decision to limit a figure that doesn't fall into the mainstream buyer's expectations of what they'd expect in this line.

On the flipside, I suppose because the variant is of Batman himself, that'd add value to having it more available.

How I see it though, is that Batman '66 was a widely recognized property from '66-'17 and not a cult film franchise (or some other rarer franchise of that nature)... so, better to avoid something strange in a more mainstream line like Batman '66, that'd make that line's less nuanced buyers go "Hmmmmm".
                    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• phil
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 11, 2007

Are these even going to be available at regular retail?

Comment

• Teemu
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 15, 2010

Are these even going to be available at regular retail?
                        I would say yes...I will be keeping a lookout for that chase Freeze at TRU

Comment

• rykerw1701
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by Teemu
                          I would say yes...I will be keeping a lookout for that chase Freeze at TRU

And so will non-collectors looking to scalp the figures. And to be honest, if I was in TRU with my 9 year old son and saw a couple of these on the pegs by chance, I'd likely keep one for me and throw the other one up on eBay. But I won't roam the toy stores or toy aisle's looking for any chase figure. I don't have the time or inclination. And whereas before I was thinking about being all in on these figures, now I'll just get a couple to add to the mess over my work bench and be satisfied with it. So really, these chase figures are saving me a lot of money and clutter. So thanks, Funko!

Comment

• LordMudd
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 22, 2011

And so will non-collectors looking to scalp the figures. And to be honest, if I was in TRU with my 9 year old son and saw a couple of these on the pegs by chance, I'd likely keep one for me and throw the other one up on eBay. But I won't roam the toy stores or toy aisle's looking for any chase figure. I don't have the time or inclination. And whereas before I was thinking about being all in on these figures, now I'll just get a couple to add to the mess over my work bench and be satisfied with it. So really, these chase figures are saving me a lot of money and clutter. So thanks, Funko!
                            You run the risk of getting stuck with a figure no one wants and losing money to get rid of it. On the other hand, I will occasionally pick up extras I know others in a group are looking for but having trouble finding.

CCC.

Comment

• Teemu
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 15, 2010

I won't be chasing after it, it will come to me

Comment

• palitoy
                                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                                • Jun 16, 2001

I got my shipping notice for the batmobile. Mildly excited.
                                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎