X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phil
    Persistent Member
    • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by ODBJBG
    I don't get the complaints about the card. I think the card looks PERFECT! The gaudy mock up someone posted looks like crap IMO. Mattel's cards were bad, FTCs aren't great, but these Funko cards really evoke the show to me.
    I also like the low key packaging. I think it fits the era of the show.

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Werewolf
      Just as well, unlike Super7, they never really got it. To Funko retro Kenner style too often meant intentionally bad sculpts on random non retro licenses.
      The only thing "intentional" about the bad sculpts was not investing extra work and/or money to improve them (which was acceptable by many's yardsticks because of the familiar "missing of the mark" all to often found with vintage toy sculpts).

Now they have the money.

Now they are improving them.
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

I think Funko's packaging looks like something that MIGHT exist in '66 which is why I dig it.
        I can dig that approach, although I think the Batman would be more comic like.

The only thing "intentional" about the bad sculpts was not investing extra work and/or money to improve them (which was acceptable by many's yardsticks because of the familiar "missing of the mark" all to often found with vintage toy sculpts).
        Personally, I think a lot of their output looked rushed.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I don't really care for the muted gray they went with for Batman in this stock art. I don't understand that as it doesn't match the show itself or the animated opening. Had they went blue, you would have got a clearer comic vibe.

I hate to address Funko's ReAction figures again, but some of them were just horrible. The Universal Monsters line was a standout overall, but in some cases they looked great (Invisible Man, Wolfman) and others looked very generic with only the colors really telling us who they were (Frankenstein's Monster, unfortunately). And then there's Biff Tannen. Ugh.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• ODBJBG
            Permanent Member
            • May 15, 2009

The lines that Funko took their time on, look fantastic. The problem was that after a bit, Funko flooded the market with a ton of Reaction figures and as such, rushed a ton of half assed sculpts that otherwise probably wouldn't have been approved. If you look at their ET or their Gremlins stuff next to the BTTF stuff, it's a MASSIVE difference. GZremlins and ET look great and perfectly retro, whereas BTTF and many others look like crap they just threw together.

Some of the lines that had stuff thrown together still looked okay because the characters were recognizable enough that you could get away with any old thing, but most, especially the civilian heavy lines, weren't.

It wasn't the retro soft sculpting that hurt them, it was the rapid output they tried to do and thus didn't spend the time on getting things right.

The Batman stuff looks great though. Hopefully the final products look that good.

Comment

• Teemu
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 15, 2010

Funko's Reaction Dark Crystal and JAWS are pretty good

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

As is their Big Trouble in Little China, and as previously mentioned E.T. and Gremlins. They ended waaaay better than they began, for sure.

I think I'd like the Batman packaging better if they went with bright green and images from the opening animated credits.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  I hate to address Funko's ReAction figures again, but some of them were just horrible.
                  I agree. There were some really good ones like Universal Monsters and Nightmare Before Christmas. But others, like classic Star Trek, look really phoned in. I also have to mention again all the non retro licenses like Pulp Fiction and Boondock Saints showed they really didn't get the concept.

Luckily it does look like they learned from their mistakes and the Batman 66 line looks great.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

They seemed to put great effort into license I liked such as the Monsters and Jaws, the ones I couldn't have cared about seemed to be mediocre. The only misfire for me was Star Trek, it was weirdly inconsistent and I can't think of a company in the 1970s that would have put out such odd looking items.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

Their E.T. 3 pack is one of my favorite things they did. It's a real beauty. The Jaws figures were a dream come true. I'm still bent they couldn't get likeness approval for Phoebe Cates' character in Gremlins, because that line is also a highlight, even with the Billy Peltzer figure.

Comment

• phil
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 11, 2007

I don't think I''m going to collect everything in this line but I all ready ordered the Batmobile set and the four ndividual figures I was most interested in. The line looks good and fun.

Comment

• Teemu
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 15, 2010

Hopes for a plastic (not cardboard) Batcave playset w/Alfred,and Batgirl's cycle...

Expect Joker,Riddler,Pengin,Madhatter,Egghead,O'hara and Shame in Wave 2

As long as the line sells,they have plans

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

Anyone have a good means of getting the variant Eli Wallach Mr. Freeze? (Other than eBay)

Comment

• rykerw1701
                              Persistent Member
                              • Aug 27, 2007

The variant Mr. Freeze has already got me hesitating to get into this line. The better online retailers will be hit or miss as at least Entertainment Earth seems to plan to distribute them randomly. Getting one at retail would be a major pain at best and likely fruitless, and ebay is going to be expensive. It's feeding the scalpers.

So it looks like a really great, fun line, but this variant thing is irritating.

Comment

• phil
                                Persistent Member
                                • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by rykerw1701
                                The variant Mr. Freeze has already got me hesitating to get into this line. The better online retailers will be hit or miss as at least Entertainment Earth seems to plan to distribute them randomly. Getting one at retail would be a major pain at best and likely fruitless, and ebay is going to be expensive. It's feeding the scalpers.

So it looks like a really great, fun line, but this variant thing is irritating.
                                Not being able to complete a collection is annoying and seems to get worse each year. I was hesitant to get into this line but decided to just go with what I really wanted rather than trying to get everything.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎