Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

I placed my preorder at Entertainment Earth. You can save $10 off $50. Wonder how I'm gonna get the Eli Wallach variant?

These are a home run in my opinion. If these came out in the 70s or 80s, I'd have thrown a fit. I just wish the card art were more inspired.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I think the figures are a nice pistache of vintage, well done with just a hint of limitations at the time. (even the Star Trek TMP figures, which are sculpted by the amazing Bill Lemon, have a little clunk to them).

I don't like the card art but honestly, I've hated ALL the 1966 style guide art, it's all sort sort of mundane and bland for such a colourful program.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• rykerw1701
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        ^There's a chunkiness to them for sure. I think this is Funko realizing "Retro" doesn't mean "ugly Happy Meal cast-off" and doing a throwback feel right. These kind of remind me of the Playmates Trek figiures, only smaller.

Chris
        Oh no, don't say that. I'd have to buy these and immediately throw them into one of the giant boxes of Playmates Star Trek I have in the basement!

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy

I don't like the card art but honestly, I've hated ALL the 1966 style guide art, it's all sort sort of mundane and bland for such a colourful program.

It is indeed. That dull orange base color doesn't do the style guide any favors, and isn't in the spirit of the show. I also would've like to see unique cards for each character, instead of just Batman on all of them.

Artist Christopher Franchi is pretty good when Batman 66 is concerned, and he did a mock up of a card art, just for fun. (This will NOT be used) But I like something along these lines better.

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

I prefer his art but i can't support a man with views on women such as his. He had a tirade on facebook a while back and he has some issues.

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

I didn't catch that particular one, but yeah, I've caught just enough comments to know that he's not my type of friend.

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Turned me right off the dude, normally i can separate an artisan and their beliefs but it was pretty vile.

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Yecch...

I had no idea, nor do I want to read it.

Comment

• MeWantMegos
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Apr 4, 2010

How do you get $10 of EE purchase of $50 or more? Is there a code?

If I had a minor complaint I would say the figures are a little too squat for my taste. Someone here mentioned that was in keeping with their retro style. Which is a fair point. But a bit too squat.

I wonder why they decided to do a mostly realistic approach to these figures and not give them their full Funko treatment. Not a complaint mind you. They've gone full "retro" on all figures. When I think of Funko I think of their Alien, Back to the Future, Buffy, Firefly and Big Trouble lines. These are more action figures like their Suicide Squad line. Often their figures don't look like the actual actors. Instead, they often suggest the character in a more generic way. These do. But it's not the Funko I think about. (Again, not a complain just wondering why this approach.)

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

I think the "ReAction" way of doing things for Funko is over. I honestly prefer this style.

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

I think the "ReAction" way of doing things for Funko is over. I honestly prefer this style.
                        I am currently building an action figure line from absolutely nothing, with almost no money, and without a Kickstarter.

If they behave in the same way I am...then that "old way" to the "new way" was their goal all along.

Save money every step of the way.

And, if you're lucky (and make good decisions), you have very nice versions of the same thing you started with to begin with.

The less accurate sculpts were part of that process. And, in the judgement of time gone by, not that big of a deal...

I mean that in the context of that it got us from "BTTF Fox" to "'66 West".

And it achieved this by producing figs that while resembling the half-baked inaccurate sculpts of classic Kenner Star Wars, offered the greater thing, a product aspect that is just as important now, as it was then: : Ultimately recognizable "pieces of the franchise" that it was selling....some of it even having barely anything to do with the figure, and more with the packaging.

Would we have gotten so many franchises in a favored action figure format to choose from without the weak sculpts and limited articulation aspects? Absolutely not.

And, frankly, until someone, maybe Funko themselves, make better BTTF or Gremlins etc figures in that scale, I'm not getting rid of those guys in my collection.
                        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• phil
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 11, 2007

If you look at some of the early stills of West in the costume he does have a slightly out of shape look and I think the figure depicts that.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

I think the "ReAction" way of doing things for Funko is over.
                            Just as well, unlike Super7, they never really got it. To Funko retro Kenner style too often meant intentionally bad sculpts on random non retro licenses.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

I actually like the style guide art for Batman '66. It was actually done by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez (Praise Be His Name). I don't like the colors in some cases (making Joker's suit green to match the animated opening is just dumb), but overall, it's nice.

I think Funko's packaging looks like something that MIGHT exist in '66 which is why I dig it.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

• ODBJBG
                                Permanent Member
                                • May 15, 2009

I don't get the complaints about the card. I think the card looks PERFECT! The gaudy mock up someone posted looks like crap IMO. Mattel's cards were bad, FTCs aren't great, but these Funko cards really evoke the show to me.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎