• Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    ^Well, you and I would know...
    Yee Haw. Or should that be Hee Haw?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Stark is filling the Mr Fantastic role for the MCU, but the MCU's portrayal of Stark doesn't fit to be the conscience. Great Power/Great Responsbility. Stark hasn't got much right. He should be a Demon In A Bottle/Armors Wars Stark by now. Maybe that's coming. I'm not betting on it. The mentor role for Spidey works better with Cap.
      I think we're going to see Peter's ideologies clash with Stark's. It's right there in the scene in Civil War in Peter's apartment where Peter tells him if you have the power and do nothing it's your fault. That's essentially Cap's message coming from Spider-Man's mouth.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 13, 2016

Originally posted by hedrap
        He should be a Demon In A Bottle/Armors Wars Stark by now. Maybe that's coming. I'm not betting on it. The mentor role for Spidey works better with Cap.
        TRUTH. Demon in a Bottle is my favorite classic Iron Man Story line and I feel it is a core definer of Tony Stark. I thought that Iron Man 3 was going to go into it, but they went the PTSD route instead (Not like it really matters, 3 kinda got ret-conned anyways. And if ANY of the events in Stark's life was going to give him PTSD, wouldn't it be from all the time he spent as a prisoner in the Middle East where he almost died?! Just sayin).
        IMO, I think they are afraid to go to much into that story line because Iron Man/Tony Stark is "cool" and well received by audiences. He builds Ultron and the main stream audiences still love him. Demon in a Bottle could be seen as controversial and Marvel isn't big on taking risks.
        Gotta give DC films that. They play friggin Russian Roulette with their films/characters and just hope something sticks. Which is way more stupid I think, but you gotta have serious stones to do that. Or be idiotic enough to let Snyder take over your Universe....
        -Diana

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

It's right there in the scene in Civil War in Peter's apartment where Peter tells him if you have the power and do nothing it's your fault.

And that was also a nice tip of the hat to Spider-Man's Origin Story. It was all we needed to hear to know that, yes, this particular Spider-Man also had an Uncle Ben whose murder could've been prevented by Peter. The Stark/Parker mentorship didn't feel the slightest bit forced in Civil War; I see no reason to think they won't make it work for Homecoming.

Quite honestly, I don NOT want to see another Uncle Ben death scene again. I'm a little nervous about that because..... Small SPOILER below....

Hot Toys is promoting a Pre-Stark Peter-made costumed Spider-Man figure, which suggests we could see origin material again... Maybe in flashback. I just don't hope that they dwell on it, because we all get it by now.

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hedji
            And that was also a nice tip of the hat to Spider-Man's Origin Story. It was all we needed to hear to know that, yes, this particular Spider-Man also had an Uncle Ben whose murder could've been prevented by Peter. The Stark/Parker mentorship didn't feel the slightest bit forced in Civil War; I see no reason to think they won't make it work for Homecoming.

Quite honestly, I don NOT want to see another Uncle Ben death scene again. I'm a little nervous about that because..... Small SPOILER below....

Hot Toys is promoting a Pre-Stark Peter-made costumed Spider-Man figure, which suggests we could see origin material again... Maybe in flashback. I just don't hope that they dwell on it, because we all get it by now.
            I thought the homemade suit was post-Stark because Tony takes his suit away from Peter? That was my impression from the trailer.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 20, 2011

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
              Mine, as well, Dwayne. But I have a feeling that circumstances will force Tony to give him the suit back at some point.
              sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Oh. Crud. I didn't watch the whole trailer. Avoiding spoilers. I heard it shows a lot, so I may have to exit this thread.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

SPOILERS (if you are being REALLY non-spoilery)

Looks like he does go back to the homemade suit he had in that VERY brief scene in Civil War following Stark shutting him down. But I'm guessing he "earns" it back before movie's end.

My son LOVES the homemade suit, and there is a cosplay version of it in the works at our home.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• WannabeMego
                    Made in the USA
                    • May 2, 2003

Extended Clip:

Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

It's official. They've released this entire movie now. Just recut these trailers and you have the full 2 hour plus running time.

Same with Wonder Woman.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

I think we're going to see Peter's ideologies clash with Stark's. It's right there in the scene in Civil War in Peter's apartment where Peter tells him if you have the power and do nothing it's your fault. That's essentially Cap's message coming from Spider-Man's mouth.

Chris
                        So they made Stark his mentor, so Peter can prove Stark's philosophy is wrong. I'd say that's really interesting in a sort of Anti-Batman/Robin context...

...but then I remember we're talking about Marvel. There's no way they're going to deface Stark. At best, it will be halvsies. Peter will be right that you must act, but Tony will be right that you can't jump in headfirst and inexperienced. And it will all be one to grow on.

Actual character development would be Tony is still mulling over Civil War and Peter's approach aggravates him into taking the costume back. Then, Peter proves through ingenuity he could be as smart as Tony and not need his support. That would send Tony into a Demon/Armor Wars menatlity, which could be how RDJ retires. But none of that is happening.

Comment

• VintageMike
                          Permanent Member
                          • Dec 16, 2004

I like it simply because they have the teenage Spidey vibe right and IMO the "early years" teenage spidey , has some of the character's best material. I say this also as someone who is a huge Spidey fan. I just want to see Spidey done right and much. much less concerned about RDJ/iron Man in this flick.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

A few stills:

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• huedell
                              Museum Ball Eater
                              • Dec 31, 2003

Looks like the Vulture character (via Keaton) is going to show why Captain America (while admirable in many respects) might be heading towards disaster with his "Screw the govt. & screw the stability of America's capitalist democracy. I'm gonna get what's mine because I have a family, so I can do anything I want criminal or otherwise without empathy towards the other side" attitude.
                              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎