X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WannabeMego
    Made in the USA
    • May 2, 2003

New Spider-Man: Homecoming Trailer

Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

How good is Keaton that he can make the Vulture interesting? I like how he's trying to mimic certain traits, such as the neck arch and scratchy skin. The costume is still Zach Snyder's Condorman hyper-busy.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

IDK...it's missing something. I think it needs more Iron Man.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

Maybe it's because we've already seen Spidey done on the big screen to the Nth degree, but I get zero Spidey-fan tingles from this at all. I am glad to see a rift develop between Parker and Stark so that, eventually, Parker's own genius and talent will give him THE suit he deserves without any Stark tech.

Keaton's Vulture seems interesting if a little over-the-top and cliched as a villain. With his fantastic acting ability to play two sides of a coin, I'd've much rather seen him as Norman Osborne in a supporting, but growing role, leading up to his becoming the Green Goblin.

MARVEL is on the verge of over-exposure with RDJ, Jr., especially when he appears as Stark more than Iron Man. The scene where he steps out of the armor like it's his own personal Lear jet made me cringe a bit, too. For all his supposed "lessons learned" in IM 3, he seems to be getting more and more French showery and arrogant.

And as for the homemade Spidey suit, did they really have to resurrect that POS Scarlet Spider outfit from the late eighties/nineties? Ugh.
        Last edited by emeraldknight47; Mar 28, '17, 11:02 AM.
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

Keaton would have been a great Osborne/Goblin.

Since I passed on the last reboot, I hadn't considered how over-exposed the franchise has become. Can't do the origin. Can't lay the groundwork for OsCorp.

Yeesh. I just remembered that Robo-Rhino. WTH...

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

My cinematic Spider-Man universe began with Spider-Man and ended with Spider-Man 2

Nothing since has captured the spirit of the original comics like those two films did.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

You guys are a bunch of grumps.

This is going to be a fun movie. And ASM 2 was pretty awful outside of Garfield and Stone. They were great. The rest was Batman and Robin-level cringe-worthy in spots (the German scientist was Staight Outta Schumacher). So stop and remember that when you see what's going on here.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Looks great to me.
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I feel like there's this movement online to turn against the Marvel movies all of sudden.

I'm not saying that's what's going on here, but it seems to be "in" to now say "Go away Marvel. We're tired of all the fantastic, enjoyable movies you've given us. Stop it already." I don't get that in the least. As long as they maintain the overall quality of the films (which they have), keep 'em comin'!

And I HOPE beyond hope that JL is good and FUN. I think Wonder Woman looks great. JL looks BETTER than BvS. So I'm definitely not of the mind you have to hate one to love the other or vice-versa.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

^I'm totally with you, Chris. I don't get the pushback. When the Marvel movies stop having me grinnin' like a little kid, then I'll join the cacophony of hate. But I've yet to be disappointed. In fact, I stopped this trailer after Spidey skimmed the swimming pool because my spoiler alarm started spiking.

Why is it so cool to hate Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man? He just nails that character. His performance is the perfect mixture of snarky wiseguy, genius, hero, and deep, emotional and moral conflict. Don't know what more people want. I'm just happy that I got to be born in the fabulous 1970s so I could enjoy Marvel's TV properties, and live now to enjoy the cinematic spectacle.

And heck, if Justice League finds its footing, I'll be the first to wave the victory flag. DC deserves it for a change. But we have movies with BLACK PANTHER, VISION, THANOS, etc.... that are serious when they need to be, yet fun and lighthearted. But folks are unhappy.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^So it's not just me? You see it too?

Since I'm a Cap guy, I kind of dislike the Iron Man character a bit, but I'm supposed to. I don't hate RDJ or the character in general. I think he does a great job of it, and he has a valid viewpoint...but I just tend to think more like Cap, so I'm "against" him. But that was the whole point of Civil War; you were supposed to "choose a side". Spider-Man was in many ways meant to be one of our window characters in that world. I think we're going to see him pull away from Tony's way of thinking, bringing it all full circle.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

I don't think anyone hates RDJ as Iron Man. Quite the opposite. In fact that's part of his problem...he's so good he tends to steal the spotlight away from other characters when he's on screen.

I'd just rather he not be so involved with Spider-Man's story, that's all...I'm worried Spider-Man will be reduced to a supporting character in his own movie.

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Looks awesome...that kid was perfectly cast. Love his mannerisms, suit, animated eyes, the whole package...looks like they finally nailed Spidey here. I never really warmth up to Toby "Screams like a Girl" Maguire much, in fact, I can't stand him now (thanks to his truly awful characterization in Spidey 3), although his first two movies are pretty good, just never personally dug him as Parker/Spidey. Andrew Garfield made a solid Spidey but awful Parker.

But this kid makes the perfect Parker/Spidey combo.

The only thing I'm not too crazy about is Robert Downey/Stark. Sure, maybe a cameo would've been okay. But they are making it like Starks is the reason Spidey exists...like he created him or something. Heck, I personally think Parker is more brilliant than Stark, only disadvantage is his lack of wealth and resources. The only one smarter than Parker is Reed Richards in my opinion.

Keaton as a mech-Vulture doesn't bother me...he looks fine...menacing and crazy in fact.

But that's just me...
                          Last edited by Hector; Mar 28, '17, 1:19 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            I feel like there's this movement online to turn against the Marvel movies all of sudden.

I'm not saying that's what's going on here, but it seems to be "in" to now say "Go away Marvel. We're tired of all the fantastic, enjoyable movies you've given us. Stop it already." I don't get that in the least. As long as they maintain the overall quality of the films (which they have), keep 'em comin'!

And I HOPE beyond hope that JL is good and FUN. I think Wonder Woman looks great. JL looks BETTER than BvS. So I'm definitely not of the mind you have to hate one to love the other or vice-versa.

Chris
                            I haven't been around the web enough to comment on the suggestion a movement is on to pan Marvel movies, but I would suggest some of that might be coming from the frustrated minority on the DC side who haven't found their mega-blockbuster yet. That being said, I can only speak for myself and I try to be honest about what I see, be it a trailer or a film. I can LOVE movies that had lousy trailers and vice versa. So an early opinion on this Spider-man trailer (or posters) does not necessitate a flunking grade after I see the film. I can only articulate an opinion based on the information they feed me. And yes, you are right that Marvel has had an excellent run of making solid films, so why doubt them now? It's not a matter of doubting so much as reacting. Nothing lasts forever and as much as I want to drink the Kool-aid that says every Marvel product will be ideal, I know that isn't realistic.

Michael Keaton is in this, so I'm in a theater seat opening weekend for that reason alone. I like Stark's exchange with Peter when he says, "If you're nothing without the costume then you don't deserve to wear it." That's great . I love that. But I cringe at him saying, " Why can't you just be a regular friendly neighborhood Spider-man?" Again... Marvel is taking all the iconic moments for Spider-man and crediting them all to Stark. I disagree with that approach, but it doesn't mean I'll "hate" the film. I just don't like that catered-to inference that Stark is creating the Marvel universe off the cuff. It's a bit too much creative license to give him all the credit as if everyone in that world is a moron without him. It's an opinion, but not a final judgement. Most films we see, even ones we like, have story points or treatments we would like to see differently. But my criticisms do not always forecast bad reviews once the final product is seen.

Now with Snyder and his DC work, I feel different. Once you've seen enough of a man's portfolio, you have an expectation and Snyder never surprises me. So based on prior experience, I don't hold any hopes for a good JL movie simply because WB keeps using an inept director best suited for subject matter unrelated to these characters. He is essentially ashamed of their comic book roots so he constantly tries to reinvent them to the point of being almost unrecognizable. Essentially he just keeps remaking the Watchmen with a bunch of reluctant heroes with bad personalities and lousy attitudes. I can assure you I won't see this in theaters, as I did not see BVS in theaters. When I saw the "directors cut" of BVS it was every bit the convoluted garbage I knew it would be. I already know JL will get a crap critical review because Snyder does not make good movies. Critics will bash him again and I will wait for this travesty to come out on DVD. Ultimately I am a life long comic book fan so I feel obliged to see all of this stuff. I just know when to avoid some of it in theaters. Marvel is no where near the train wreak DC product is in theaters. So Marvel is still plenty fine in my book. But it doesn't mean they are above criticism.
                            Last edited by MIB41; Mar 28, '17, 2:48 PM.

Comment

• drquest
                              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                              • Apr 17, 2012

Please, please, please oh please don't kill Michael Keaton off... I hate when they think they have to kill the villains off in the movies and I want more Keaton!
                              Danny(Drquest)
                              Captain Action HQ
                              Retro shirts and stuff
                              More retro shirts
                              Stuff For Sale

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡