Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LadyZod
    Superman's Gal Pal
    • Jan 27, 2007

How did I miss out on the Jelly and jams discussion?

I once had the TSA confiscate a tiny jar of apple butter from my carry on out the Lexington airport. I checked the size and it was on the approved sizes and container list. I think the TSA agents saw my tasty apple butter and decided to abuse their power and eat my butter on their toast for lunch. I will go to my grave with this theory.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
    Check out my art:
    Art Portfolio@Redbubble
    Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• emeraldknight47
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by LadyZod
      How did I miss out on the Jelly and jams discussion?

I once had the TSA confiscate a tiny jar of apple butter from my carry on out the Lexington airport. I checked the size and it was on the approved sizes and container list. I think the TSA agents saw my tasty apple butter and decided to abuse their power and eat my butter on their toast for lunch. I will go to my grave with this theory.
      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

I found out yesterday about a place across the bridge called the Louisville Armory

Louisville's premier indoor shooting range. We offer training and private events. Our gun range is open to the public.

which is a fairly large and well-reviewed shooting range where you can rent guns and purchase ammunition, so this sounds like it might be a good way to test the waters, so to speak. Their pistol rentals are $10.00 and the lane rentals are $12.00 for 30 minutes and $18.00 for an hour. Prices on the ammo range depending on what type you purchase.

Going to have to check this place out.

P.S. Hector, it definitely sounds like you have a full and well-rounded life, my friend! Don't ever give any of it up! Didn't know you were a fellow graphic designer, so that's cool. The bow is another item I would love to learn to shoot, but alas, the arthritis in my fingers would not allow me the strength or steadiness required in something as precision-based as bow shooting.
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
          Dude, you don't need to explain a damn thing to anyone about whether you should own guns or not...it's your RIGHT.

Why can't people just keep their bloody judgmental holier than thou ideology to themselves?
          As someone who will never own a gun, let me chime in that I completely agree. The insinuations and shaming going on in this thread are completely uncalled for...

Comment

• emeraldknight47
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 20, 2011

Just checked out your home gym, Hector! Man, it's better equipped than the YMCA branch up the street from me!

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by sprytel
              As someone who will never own a gun, let me chime in that I completely agree. The insinuations and shaming going on in this thread are completely uncalled for...
              Thank you, Sir.

I'm all for personal individual rights. Gun ownership is legal in the United States as long as you don't have a criminal record and are a responsible gun owner, plain and simple. I even have certain beliefs that fellow gun owners would disagree with me on (I don't think fully assault auto machine guns are necessary or concealed carry on, due to how popular road rage is nowadays for example), but I'm not going to judge, condemned, or passively aggressively mock anyone for it. Everyone has different opinions, and that's fine...as long as we can disagree with each other respectfully, that's all.
              sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                I found out yesterday about a place across the bridge called the Louisville Armory

Louisville's premier indoor shooting range. We offer training and private events. Our gun range is open to the public.

which is a fairly large and well-reviewed shooting range where you can rent guns and purchase ammunition, so this sounds like it might be a good way to test the waters, so to speak. Their pistol rentals are $10.00 and the lane rentals are $12.00 for 30 minutes and $18.00 for an hour. Prices on the ammo range depending on what type you purchase.

Going to have to check this place out.

P.S. Hector, it definitely sounds like you have a full and well-rounded life, my friend! Don't ever give any of it up! Didn't know you were a fellow graphic designer, so that's cool. The bow is another item I would love to learn to shoot, but alas, the arthritis in my fingers would not allow me the strength or steadiness required in something as precision-based as bow shooting.
                Renting guns is also a good option...but careful with buying bullets there...they can sometimes be more expensive at the range than a gun shop.
                sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                  Just checked out your home gym, Hector! Man, it's better equipped than the YMCA branch up the street from me!
                  Well, thank you, it was a labor of love...just like collecting dollies...

sigpic

Comment

• tjmower
                    • Mar 12, 2017

The best thing you can do is go to a range and rent the various guns you are interested in, and shoot them. You may like the looks of a gun, but it may not feel right to you, you may not like the way it shoots, etc. There's a lot of variables. And there really is not right or wrong answer. People argue about what kind of gun is best, but it's mostly just a matter of preference. The best gun for you is the gun you are most comfortable with and most likely to shoot. No sense in buying a gun you're not going to want to shoot or hate having.

Going to the range and shooting is a lot of fun, and does take a lot of stress out. I enjoy throwing lead down range and poking holes in paper targets. It's fun, and it is a major stress relief. Plus, it's good self defense training. It's not for everyone, but if it's something you enjoy then have at it. Just be careful, practice gun safety, and smart gun ownership. If you decide to buy one, you should take a gun safety course.

I own many guns and have a cpl here in Michigan. I rarely actually carry, but as a business owner there are times when it is good to be able to do so.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 20, 2011

Made a visit to one of our local gun shops yesterday afternoon. Holy Toledo, there were guns galore! I wanted to snap a couple of photos, but the shop prohibits photography in their premises and, as a newbie, I wasn't about to break that rule. The people working there were very pleasant and knowledgeable and let me try out a few in my hand for size. I like the romance (if you can call it that) attached to a revolver, but man, the couple of them I held were way heavier than I expected them to be, I'm guessing because they are mostly metal. I tried one out for size, but noticed that the trigger seemed particularly uncomfortable for my finger (it doesn't help that I have short, stubby fingers).

Then I tried holding a few semi-automatics. I liked the feel of the Glock 9 mm in my hand, but I really fell hard for the Sig Sauers; it felt like my hand had been waiting on one of those for a long while without me even knowing! I really did dig the P320 Compact Carry version. Small and lightweight, but still gave all fingers a place to rest on the handle. I'm sure I'll likely be looking at more in the future.

Another question for those of you "in the know" when it comes to gun; are used semi-automatics as safe as a new one or is it just a matter of how well the previous owner took care of it? With revolvers, it seems like there would be a lot less to go haywire on a used version.

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 13, 2016

JUDGE! JUDGE! JUDGE!
                        lol, just kidding. I completely agree with you, Hector.
                        My husband had to sell all of his guns a few years back when money was tight and I got him a gun (well, a gift card to a gun shop cuz the model I knew he wanted was out of stock) for Christmas. I'm a horrible shot so I like using a 20 gauge loaded with buck shot.

-Diana, The Re-rooter, who prefers shotguns lol

Comment

• LordMudd
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 22, 2011

Originally posted by Hector
                          Thank you, Sir.

I'm all for personal individual rights. Gun ownership is legal in the United States as long as you don't have a criminal record and are a responsible gun owner, plain and simple. I even have certain beliefs that fellow gun owners would disagree with me on (I don't think fully assault auto machine guns are necessary or concealed carry on, due to how popular road rage is nowadays for example), but I'm not going to judge, condemned, or passively aggressively mock anyone for it. Everyone has different opinions, and that's fine...as long as we can disagree with each other respectfully, that's all.
                          Even today I would be tempted to buy a fully auto M16 a1. I remember the first time they handed it to us we were all like Damn this is heavy, but by the time I got out you could wear it on your back all day and forget it was there. I have no interest in the AK or any other auto, it is just a matter of what you know. The 9m I got was for work, or I never would have bothered.

CCC.

Comment

• Man of Action
                            Persistent Member
                            • Oct 26, 2006

Go with the Sig, or Glock. Prolly best to buy new for your first gun. Used guns can be problematic, untill you become completely familiar with the internal workings best to get new. Guns are not a good place to try and save a few bucks. A nice relaxing hobby to go along with shooting is reloading. You can shoot alot more, save a few bucks. I shoot 500 rounds a month, I really like the Glock 19 Gen 4. If you have arthritis in your hands or wrist, i would not recommend revolvers, as they have a bit more recoil.. Good luck, have fun, stay safe😎

Comment

• SKotK
                              Career Member
                              • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by The Re-Rooter
                              JUDGE! JUDGE! JUDGE!
                              Oh, you mean this one?

Taurus-Judge.jpg

This guy fires shotgun shells, if you so desire. Quite a fun one to shoot. Bit of a kick to it, of course.

I don't own any guns at present, but that doesn't stop me from getting in target practice every so often.

--SKot
                              Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• trekercollecter
                                Museum Patron
                                • May 22, 2008

I have a Walther PPQ .40Cal that I love! Holds 12 rounds and weighs in at 1.5lbs. Great home def. or CWP carrier. Very smooth action and can lay some serious destruction on your target. I got mine on a special at $575.
                                TC.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎