Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LordMudd
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 22, 2011

When I got my security commission I needed to find a good 9m. Went thru 10 shops before I did. Most important advice I can give is make sure it fits your hand. If your little finger hangs off of the stock because there is no room for it, you will not be able to control it properly when you shoot.

CCC.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by enyawd72
      ^I'm enjoying a particularly mouthwatering jar of Swedish lingonberry right now. It's like a delicious blend of red raspberry and cranberry. Fantastic on English muffins.
      I've bought a jar of that at the WORLD MARKET and, yeah, it is yummy! I could probably just eat it out of the jar with a spoon, but that, that would be wrong....
      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Hector
        Yes, gun owner here...
        LOL! I kinda figured that to be the case, Hec!
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by LordMudd
          When I got my security commission I needed to find a good 9m. Went thru 10 shops before I did. Most important advice I can give is make sure it fits your hand. If your little finger hangs off of the stock because there is no room for it, you will not be able to control it properly when you shoot.

CCC.
          Excellent tip, thanks for sharing! One of the reasons I'm looking closely at the Sig P230 is because of the interchangeable grip section. This is a gun I want both my wife and I to train with and her hand is much smaller than mine. Having grips that can make the same firearm usable for both of us is a plus.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by drquest
            I'd also consider a 1911 .45 (not sure what manufacturer for that one).
            I've held one in my hands --- it's massive and weighed like 50 pounds empty

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
              LOL! I kinda figured that to be the case, Hec!
              Here are my awesome Marlin 336 rifle...and Glock 19 Punisher...

sigpic

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                Career Member
                • Jun 8, 2015

Hey there, gang! Thinking of investing in my first ever handgun/pistol primarily for heading out to the target range and unleashing some pent-up stress by firing off a few rounds (only after taking several classes on care, cleaning and handgun safety, of course).

Just wondering if anyone here on the boards owns or has owned a decent handgun/pistol and can give some tips to a newbie looking for his first handgun. I've done a bit of research on the Sig Sauer P320 and it seems like a versatile handgun.

Any advice/input greatly appreciated.

Emerald, if you wanna release stress, how about joining a gym and working out, or learning boxing, Karate, MMA??? great exercise and you get in better shape and you learn a skill. Much safer than having a gun around.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Much safer with gun in hand, than Karate in soul...

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

People that open carry always make me laugh

It's like why don't you two go get a room

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Hector
                      Here are my awesome Marlin 336 rifle...and Glock 19 Punisher...

Nice Glock you've got there, Hec; looks well balanced. Do the textured surfaces on e front of the handle ever get uncomfortable or do they just provide better grip? I didn't see a lock anywhere amongst your paraphernalia; is this one of those pistols that locks internally? Love the little Punisher skull near the sights, as well. What does a decent sized box of ammo run for that one?

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan
                        Emerald, if you wanna release stress, how about joining a gym and working out, or learning boxing, Karate, MMA??? great exercise and you get in better shape and you learn a skill. Much safer than having a gun around.
                        I've actually been to the gym on several occasions and was going religiously until I fractured the whole front of my left foot and broke two toes powerwalking the track. The other methods you mentioned are good stress relievers, as well. But owning a pistol, being trained and confident in it's use and knowing that I'll have my wife trained on it, as well, feels like it will give me not only some stress release when I go to the range to shoot, but also some comfort knowing that my wife and my furkids have a measure of safety at home when I'm not there, which is most often late at night and in the wee hours of the morning because of the weird shift I work.

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Nice Glock you've got there, Hec; looks well balanced. Do the textured surfaces on e front of the handle ever get uncomfortable or do they just provide better grip? I didn't see a lock anywhere amongst your paraphernalia; is this one of those pistols that locks internally? Love the little Punisher skull near the sights, as well. What does a decent sized box of ammo run for that one?
                          Glocks don't have standard safety locks like other guns. I don't have a safety lock for it because I don't have kids...plus my guns are kept in my backyard cottage (secured with a entry door with two bolting locks and a security steel door with another two locking bolts). Glocks are really lightweight...lighter than Rugers and Sigs for example. They are super comfortable to handle and grip. It's not as "pretty" as other guns, but it's my favorite handgun nevertheless...nothing fancy about the Glock, just a very effective weapon...and can take dirt and grime better than the others. Keep in mind, they are all kinds of different Glocks. A 9mm is more than fine. A .40 caliber has more stopping power, but the ammo is more expensive. Also, look at your state laws. Here in California, I can only use 10 rounds per cartridge. Other states you can just go crazy, lol.

Also, is you are going to go to the range a lot, I highly recommend you buy lots of magazine clips...as you don't want to be individually loading clips once you empty...it's a drag. Get yourself a bunch, it will make life much easier...

Oh, and get a magazine loader too, especially if it's brand new, as ammo can be a pain in the butt to load into clip.

I also have a 38 long barrel Smith & Wesson and a 357 Taurus short snub revolvers..and you already met my Marlin 336 rifle in a previous post...

As far as prices...50 rounds of 9mm costs around $15 or so. However, for home protection, get hollow point ammo, 50 round goes for $25 or so, but those are recommended for better stopping power plus they don't go through...if you know what I mean. But don't use hollow points for the range.

For the range:

Non-Magnetic 9mm Ammo by Federal American Eagle For Sale at BulkAmmo.com - 50 Rounds of 115gr FMJ available online.

For home protection:

Buy Federal Premium Hydra-Shok 9mm 124 Grain JHP Online Now! Ammunition Depot offers a wide selection of bulk ammo for game, target practice, and self-defense.

Yes, I dig my Punisher logo...my Glock has night sites too...as you can customize your gun with all kinds of goodies.

Hope that helps...
                          sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 20, 2011

You, good sir, as always, are a great font of invaluable information and I appreciate all the time and effort in your posts.

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

I've actually been to the gym on several occasions and was going religiously until I fractured the whole front of my left foot and broke two toes powerwalking the track. The other methods you mentioned are good stress relievers, as well. But owning a pistol, being trained and confident in it's use and knowing that I'll have my wife trained on it, as well, feels like it will give me not only some stress release when I go to the range to shoot, but also some comfort knowing that my wife and my furkids have a measure of safety at home when I'm not there, which is most often late at night and in the wee hours of the morning because of the weird shift I work.
                              Dude, you don't need to explain a damn thing to anyone about whether you should own guns or not...it's your RIGHT.

Why can't people just keep their bloody judgmental holier than thou ideology to themselves?

As you know, I walk a bloody marathon every week...6-8 miles a day, four times a week, tough trail walking in the forest...have my own home gym. Have my classic muscle car. I collect toys. Watch movies. Love eating at restaurants. Love traveling. I read books. I'm a graphic designer. Love art. I love too cook. I love to grill and barbecue outdoors. I love wildlife...animals of all types...I own guns, but I'm not a hunter. I take care of a sick loved one. I live life. And yes...I own guns too, mostly for target range, it's a fun activity. WHY THE HELL NOT? I'm also into archery, have a cool compound bow, but no crossbow, lol. And here's the shocker, I lean more to the left than the right...but I own guns, there. I live in a low crime neighborhood. Never been home burglarized. But I'll be brutally honest here. If I ever, and I mean EVER...catch an intruder attacking my family or myself with a weapon, whether it be a knife, bat, or even a gun...you better believe I'm going to defend my family with my last breath...and that intruder better pray he's Jason Bourne or John Wick, otherwise...he won't be on Earth breathing our previous oxygen for much longer. You can take that to the bloody bank. I lift weights, I'm a big strong dude, wrestled in high school, played football. I've boxed in the past. But all that is useless in certain life and death situations. Humans are far more dangerous than any tiger or grizzly. What if there are multiple intruders? You better be a Shaloin Master...or come from the planet Krypton, lol. Heck, Batman uses weapons, so there, lol.

Yeah, lazy gun owner here...

That skinny guy on page two is not me, that's a stock photo...and my heavy bag hangs off my avocado tree, lol...

P.S. Whomever disagrees with me being a gun owner...please spare me the judgmental sermon, it will mean absolutely nothing...save your typing for another topic. Thanks.
                              Last edited by Hector; Mar 29, '17, 1:46 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

You, good sir, as always, are a great font of invaluable information and I appreciate all the time and effort in your posts.
                                Happy to help!

If you are a complete newbie, I highly recommend you take a beginners class on guns/shooting. They will teach you not only about safety, but also how to clean them, etc.

Guns are to be respected. Even if the gun has not an attached clip, has no bullet in the chamber, etc...always handle the gun like it's loaded, always. Always point down too. Get a lock, especially if you have kids. The range offers all kinds of classes. I myself would like to take a skeet shooting class...using a shotgun, but that 'should down the line...as my free time is limited right now...have not gone to the range in a long time...taking care of mom...and exercising...are about the only two things I'm doing the most nowadays.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎