X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

Anyone own a pistol or handgun?

Hey there, gang! Thinking of investing in my first ever handgun/pistol primarily for heading out to the target range and unleashing some pent-up stress by firing off a few rounds (only after taking several classes on care, cleaning and handgun safety, of course).

Just wondering if anyone here on the boards owns or has owned a decent handgun/pistol and can give some tips to a newbie looking for his first handgun. I've done a bit of research on the Sig Sauer P320 and it seems like a versatile handgun.

Any advice/input greatly appreciated.
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.
  • toyman
    Just Another Collector
    • Sep 1, 2008

I have the Sig P226 Navy Seal Edition in 9MM and a Sig Mauser in a 45 and both are very dependable, don't jam when you rapid fire them. The 9mm will of course hold more rounds but I like the knock down power of the 45. The most important part of owning a handgun is keeping it well cleaned and lubricated, after of course taking the classes to be a responsible owner. I for one believe in and urge everyone to get a permit and carry whenever your out, its a crazy world we live in my friend. I also have several other manufacturers if you need info on any others.

Comment

• Emgee
      • May 5, 2009

Would you post on a gun forum if you were thinking of starting a Koi Carp collection or on a knitting forum if you were going to buy a pony? The answer should of course be 'no' so why would you post on a site primarily frequented by men who still buy dolls (Me included) about the merits of specific handguns. This is staggering to me and nothing at all to do with the fact that I am from England either. Go to your local gun club and speak to people in person if that's your bag.

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Emgee
        Would you post on a gun forum if you were thinking of starting a Koi Carp collection or on a knitting forum if you were going to buy a pony? The answer should of course be 'no' so why would you post on a site primarily frequented by men who still buy dolls (Me included) about the merits of specific handguns. This is staggering to me and nothing at all to do with the fact that I am from England either. Go to your local gun club and speak to people in person if that's your bag.
        Hate to break your illusion but this forum is multi-faceted - note the subtopic titles. This is a general topic section, hence the discussion tends to go off-topic from the normal subject matter of the forum. People do live their life outside their collections. I encourage you to embrace one for yourself so you might be less "staggered" by the content.

Comment

• alex
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 15, 2009

I dont think I have ever seen a gun, apart from a museum or policeman .

Comment

• LadyZod
            Superman's Gal Pal
            • Jan 27, 2007

Glock 9mm. Low kick. Semi. Can empty a clip in about a minute with no jolt.

For home defense you don't need anything bigger or badder. This will get the job done especially indoors.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
            Check out my art:
            Art Portfolio@Redbubble
            Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

So much for my planned in depth discussion on rare and exotic jellies and jams of the world.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Only handgun I ever shot was my buddy's pop's .38 Special

We used to sneak it out when he wasn't home and do target practice shooting snapping turtles in his pond

Gun had a nice feel in the hands, not too heavy and not too light.

Comment

• Goblin19
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 2, 2002

And I have an exquisite lint ball collection...alas.

Comment

• drquest
                    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                    • Apr 17, 2012

I just got my FOID card (requirement in Illinois). I've been looking at a Glock 17 9mm. The Glock 19 seems a little small for my hands. I'd also consider a 1911 .45 (not sure what manufacturer for that one).
                    Danny(Drquest)
                    Captain Action HQ
                    Retro shirts and stuff
                    More retro shirts
                    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 20, 2011

Thanks for the amount of information so far. One of the fellas I work with is a gun owner and he has also mentioned several of the ones already brought up. Still in heavy research mode, so all this input is invaluable. I have what I consider to be smallish hands for a person of my age and build, so finding one that's comfortable to grip is likely going to be one of my hurdles.

Emgee, I appreciate the honesty of your post, but it's exactly because this is a board where we talk about everything from apples to zebras that I asked my question of the fine folks here. All the outside interests other people have whether it be gardening, cars, lint ball collections or Dwayne's interest in rare jams and jellies (a subject I'd like to hear more about), are what make this place a potpourri of invaluable information and opinions.
                      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

^I'm enjoying a particularly mouthwatering jar of Swedish lingonberry right now. It's like a delicious blend of red raspberry and cranberry. Fantastic on English muffins.

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Agreed. Now let's talk about cooler stuff like popping pimples and blackheads.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by LadyZod
                            Glock 9mm. Low kick. Semi. Can empty a clip in about a minute with no jolt.

For home defense you don't need anything bigger or badder. This will get the job done especially indoors.
                            I have a Glock 19, compact, lightweight, low maintenance...no frills...nothing fancy, great gun.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Yes, gun owner here...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢