X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

New SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING posters...

Despite all of the hullabaloo going on about the new JL trailer, just to give SONY/MARVEL STUDIOS equal time, here are the three posters they've just released for the new MCU-based Spider-Man movie. Just to let everyone know that I'm really NOT a MARVEL snob, I pretty much HATE all three of these images.

Whereas the JL posters are dark and a bit lacking in a sensahuma, I think the design team behind these went a little too far in the opposite direction and gave us some of the most juvenile and poorly conceived SPIDER-MAN movie posters of all time. I get that Spidey is a teen-ager (I've only known that since I was, oh, let's see---five), but the teen-aged Spider-Man I knew was a loner, never an Avenger, certainly NOT Tony Stark's *****(rhymes with "witch," but I can't type it here) or his freakin' lap dog, nor was he ever a slackabout wearing a crappy jacket and listening to headphones. This is Spidey IN the MCU and, if these posters are ANY indication, I'm gonna hate this P.O.S. waaaay more than the JUSTICE LEAGUE. These posters indicate to me that the "Disneyfication" of Spider-Man is very nearly complete; can it be long before the rest of the MCU and the Marvel Universe, in general, suffers the same fate...

Spidey having to hang on to the top of the sign like a common construction worker? Not MY Spidey...

Spidey hanging around on Avengers Tower looking like a faithful cocker spaniel who's just dropped his cell phone (and, again, gripping the sign rather than "clinging" to it)? Nope, not MY Spidey, either...

Spidey being a typical millennial slacker? Just add a stupid backwards or sideways baseball cap. Definitely NOT NOT NOT MY Spidey...

Sam Raimi---where are you?!?
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

Is this sarcasm? It's so hard to tell tone on the internetz...

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

I can't help but love this Spidey. It's the Romita eyes. So faithful to Romita's look.

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

I agree. I think Marvel has reduced Spider-man to almost a sidekick for the Avengers. I have no problem with Spider-man sharing the same cinematic universe with the Avengers as he would in the comics. But to weave his visual identity as the iconic Spider-man as originating through the eyes of Tony Stark is really taking a bit too much creative license for the sake of keeping the universe...eh...tidy. Having Stark as his pseudo-mentor is really demeaning to the Parker character well past how he was originally written. It's especially irritating to see the Avengers Tower in EVERY poster shot. Yes, he finally has the Romita eyes and I'm all for that, but that's about where it ends too in terms of the classic Spider-man.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

I dig his look...but hate that Spidey is Stark's pet project...good grief...
          sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 20, 2011

Like everyone else who first saw Spidey in the CIVIL WAR trailer (a movie I have not yet screened), I was tickled poopless by the (finally) Romita animated eyes on Spidey, I just HATE the fact that those (I presume) and everything else on the Spidey suit is basically Stark tech. Peter Parker, as written by Stan Lee, Roy Thomas, Len Wein and pretty much every other writer has a genius-level intellect, not on Reed Richards level, but definitely on par with Stark, just not so much in the fields of technology and cybernetics/cyberengineering. For that reason alone, Stark's additions to the Spidey suit should have been a few minor tweaks, at best. And ENOUGH with shoving Stark and Avengers Tower down our throats; why not just replace it with a big, metal phallus and make Parker gay and in love with Stark?

P.S. Absolutely ZERO sarcasm on my part regarding this post.
            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

There's already a Deadpool spoof of the third poster on Facebook.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

As long as there are no scenes of Peter Parker strutting down the avenue to the tune of Staying Alive I'll be ok with this.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I like them. There have been 5 previous Spider-Man films. This one has a different flavor, partially out of necessity, and partially because Marvel had to pay some coin to workout a deal with Sony to get Spidey in their films. So they integrated him in a way that was essential to the ongoing storyline. It made sense.

I think we're going to see Spidey step out of Tony's shadow in this one, and maybe possibly move over to more of Cap's way of thinking in the next Avengers movies. The sign mentioning Brooklyn may be a nod to that.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

Psyched for this. It's by far the best Spidey movie suit so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Marvel Studios handles the character in his standalone pictures.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      As long as there are no scenes of Peter Parker strutting down the avenue to the tune of Staying Alive I'll be ok with this.
                      Amen to that...

sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

I'm so psyched for this, actually.

Best suit
                        Actor is potentially best
                        He was awesome in Civil War
                        SONY was messing it up, big time anyway

More, please.

I mean, if the biggest complaint of integrating him into the well established MCU is that he is too affiliated with Stark... can you imagine being told as a kid, that these two guys were gonna be in a major movie together?

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

Yeah... at least they didn't go with the Iron Spider suit. Not yet, anyway.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎