X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

WGA asks members for strike authorization

We may be looking at another writer's strike in movies & television as the negotiations between the Writer's Guild of America nad the production companies have broken down and the Guild has sent a letter asking members to authorize a strike.

Deadline provided a copy of the letter sent to members...

Dear Colleague,

The initial two-week bargaining period agreed to by your Guild and the AMPTP concludes at the end of the day today. We do not yet have a deal. We will continue to bargain in good faith to make such a deal. But, at this point, we want to let you know where we stand.

We began the negotiations with two truths about the current state of the business at the heart of our proposals:

First, that these have been very profitable years for the companies. This past year they earned $51 billion in profits, a record.

Second, that the economic position of writers has declined sharply in the last five or so years. Screenwriters have been struggling for a long time. They are now joined by television writers, for whom short seasons are at the core of the problem. In the last two years alone, the average salary of TV writer-prod ucers fell by 23%. Those declines have not been offset by compensation in other areas. In Basic Cable and new media, our script fees and residual formulas continue to trail far behind those in broadcast – even though these new platforms are every bit as profitable as the old model.

In light of all this, we sought to tackle a number of issues that directly affect the livelihoods of all writers.

–We asked for modest gains for screenwriters, most particularly a guaranteed second-step for writers earning below a certain compensation level.

–We asked for a rational policy on family leave.

–We sought to address chronically low pay for Comedy Variety writers.

–We asked for 3% increases in minimums – and increases in the residual formula for High Budget SVOD programs commensurate with industry standards.

–We made a comprehensive proposal to deal with the pernicious effects of short seasons. This included a lim it on the amortization of episodic fees to two weeks, a proposal that sought to replicate the standard that had been accepted in the business for decades. It addressed, as well, the continued problems with Options and Exclusivity. And it sought to address the MBA’s outdated schedule of weekly minimums, which no longer adequately compensates writers for short terms of work.

–Finally, we sought to address script fee issues – in basic cable and streaming – but also in the case of Staff Writers. Unconscionably, our lowest paid members are now often held at the staff level for multiple seasons, with no compensation for the scripts they write.

What was the companies’ response to these proposals?

No, in virtually every case.

–Nothing for screenwriters. Nothing for Staff Writers. Nothing on diversity.

–On Family Leave they rejected our proposal and simply pledged to obey all applicable State and Fe deral laws – as if breaking the law were ever an option.

–On short seasons, they offered a counter-proposal that addressed the issue in name only – thus helping no one.

–They have yet to offer anything on minimums, or on HBSVOD.

–They have made some small moves on Options & Exclusivity – some small moves for Comedy Variety writers in Pay TV. But that is all.

On the last day of these two weeks, the companies’ proposal has barely a single hard-dollar gain for writers.

$51 billion in profits and barely a penny for those of us who make the product that makes the companies rich. But that’s not all.

In response to our proposal to protect our Pension and Health Plans, this has been their answer:

Nothing on Pension.

And on our Health Plan, two big rollbacks.

First, they have demanded that we make cuts to the plan – $10 million in the first year alone. In r eturn, they will allow us to fund the plan with money diverted from our own salaries.

More, they’ve demanded the adoption of a draconian measure in which any future shortfalls to the plan would be made up by automatic cuts in benefits – and never by increases in employer contributions.

This, too, is unacceptable. The package, taken as a whole, is unacceptable – and we would be derelict in our duty if we accepted it.

Therefore, your Negotiating Committee has voted unanimously to recommend that the WGAW Board of Directors and WGAE Council conduct a strike authorization vote by the membership.

Once again, we are committed to continue negotiating with the companies in good faith to get you the deal we all deserve. We will continue to update you as things progress.

Respectfully,

The Negotiating Committee Members of the WGA West and WGA East

Chip Johannessen, Co-Chair
    Chris Keyser, Co-Chair
    Billy Ray, Co-Chair

Alfredo Barrios, Jr.
    Adam Brooks
    Zoanne Clack
    Marjorie David
    Kate Erickson
    Jonathan Fernandez
    Travon Free
    Howard Michael Gould
    Susannah Grant
    Erich Hoeber
    Richard Keith
    Warren Leight
    Alison McDonald
    Luvh Rakhe
    Shawn Ryan
    Stephen Schiff
    David Shore
    Meredith Stiehm
    Patric M. Verrone
    Eric Wallace
    Beau Willimon
    Nicole Yorkin

Howard A. Rodman, WGAW President, ex-officio
    Michael Winship, WGAE President, ex-officio
    David A. Goodman, WGAW Vice President, ex-officio
    Jeremy Pikser, WGAE Vice President, ex-officio
    Aaron Mendelsohn, WGAW Secretary-Treasurer, ex-officio
    Bob Schneider, WGAE Secretary-Treasurer, ex-officio
    Let's hope a fair settlement can be reached before it comes to a strike. I remember the last one killed some movie projects I had been interested in and messed up a lot of shows I had been watching, and resulted in a glut of "unscripted" television i.e. reality shows from which network broadcast tv has never truly recovered. There seems to be enough money being made for everyone to get their fair share, but corporate greed always seems to muck these things up.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • Sideshow Spock
    valar morghulis
    • Mar 8, 2005

I primarily remember the one that lasted for months in 1988, since Letterman was a staple in my college life at the time. It hurt.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
      I primarily remember the one that lasted for months in 1988, since Letterman was a staple in my college life at the time. It hurt.
      you didn't like watching him get a shave and talk to an exterminator?
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

This is what gave us Star Trek V. Just sayin'.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• LadyZod
          Superman's Gal Pal
          • Jan 27, 2007

We got a Dark Shadows reboot once. That was ok.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
          Check out my art:
          Art Portfolio@Redbubble
          Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• LordMudd
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 22, 2011

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            This is what gave us Star Trek V. Just sayin'.

Chris
            and the first season of TNG. It did open the door for more fan writers in Trek.

CCC.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

As a worker in Ohio...one of those wonderful "at will" employment states where workers have zero rights and get crapped on constantly I have very little sympathy for the WGA. I'm sure they already make more money than most of us ever will.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

^ What? It seems, considering your sentiments, that you'd be supportive of worker solidarity. But when a union strikes, you're dismissive. It comes off as sour grapes, sorry.

I think good writing is the cornerstone of entertainment and worth proper, relative compensation.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎