X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

Space Ghost is GOOD!

So after seeing MIB's original post about how bad the FTC Space Ghost figure was, I was shocked to see that he's a quite good figure by FTC's standards.

First and foremost, the body sucks. The head doesn't fit proper on the body and the black body causes the suit to be transparent. The suit itself is fine. It's not particularly thin or anything, it's just the black body that causes an issue.

But let's face it, all Re-Mego bodies suck sans Type-S. FTC's are some of the worst, but this one's got nothing particularly wrong with it other than the head not fitting to if flush. But I was never going to keep this figure on there anyway.

A quick swap to Type-S and he already looks a million times better. But there is still a gap where the costume sits on the body. This is part of the design and although it's a bit annoying, this is why FTC went with the black body.

So a couple of quick brushes of black paint on the very top part of the neck and BOOM, problem solved. I like MIB's idea of using another white jumpsuit and using the top half to add more beef to the neck cowl, but frankly this works just fine.

I also snipped a little off his belt since it's longer than it needs to be.

The head sculpt is pretty great. Not sure what the complaints there were about. It's probably a hair too big, but it's definitely not FTC huge. In fact, it's pretty spot on scale wise, he just has a bigger neck than most. The sculpt is solid as is the paint work.

It probably took me a total of 10 minutes to swap bodies and paint the small amount of area on the neck. So I don't think Space Ghost is a bad figure at all. You have to ditch the body, but you have to ditch the body with 99.9% of Re-Megos anyway, so I don't see much to fuss about here.
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

I agree the body was a big contributor. Look at my enhancement thread. I put him in a Dr. Mego body, but I did change out the outfit.

I was so frustrated with that Space Ghost figure, I decided to dive in and try and enhance him. I was fairly satisfied with my alternative. I ordered a white Dr Mego body and white jump suit. The first thing I noticed when I put the Space Ghost head on was it sat perfectly on the shoulders. I mean there is ZERO gap space...and

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

sorry, its still looks like crap. Really disappointing.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ODBJBG
        Permanent Member
        • May 15, 2009

Nah he looks pretty great. Not Mezco Space Ghost great, but exactly how a Mego Space Ghost should look.

Almost forgot to include a pic of him without his boots. I'm sure FTC gave him boots to help him stand, but he stands fine with a Type-S body.

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

He looks great! Nice job. I might pull the trigger on him afterall.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Can't believe how bad the suit looks on a type s. baggy in the crotch, a the feet and the shoulders. Then there is the too short hemmed sleeves that FTC really needs to stop doing. Not sure how that is a good look for any figure.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• greensavage2000
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 9, 2013

That's really nice. I like yours and MIB41's fixs. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                Permanent Member
                • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                Can't believe how bad the suit looks on a type s. baggy in the crotch, a the feet and the shoulders. Then there is the too short hemmed sleeves that FTC really needs to stop doing. Not sure how that is a good look for any figure.
                Your comments are absurd. There is NO bagginess anywhere on the figure. Certainly not in the feet, crotch or shoulders. It has enough material so that it can move around, but it's fit like a glove. Look at it compared to literally any Mego costume, exact same fit, though this is actually a tighter fit on the Type S.

Likewise, the sleeves aren't "hemmed too short" They actually go down over the cuffs. I just didn't bother to stuff them into the gauntlets since I'll be switching out for some fists soon and the gauntlets are a bit of a pain to get on and off.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jun 22, 2011

I like my Space Ghost just fine. I agree he's just how a Mego Space Ghost should look. The gap at the neck is the only thing I see that doesn't really look that good. He doesn't need the boots either but still they look fine.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                    Persistent Member
                    • Apr 18, 2006

I am looking forward to getting Space Ghost, it's good to see that the issues with the look of the figure are an easy fix. I also appreciate those who took the time to post photos with honest opinions and what they did to fix the figure, so many new figures coming out and not as many photo reviews lately. Thanks to you and MIB for taking the time.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                      Often invisible
                      • Jul 18, 2002

Thank you for the review. I was interested in Space Ghost when it was announced, but lost interest with the original photos. I have an old custom that I'm thinking might look better with a costume upgrade. I do like the new gauntlets, I think I made my old ones out of electrical tape! Haha!

Do you suppose they'll start selling the outfits for these? I have to admit, I'm a big fan of this practice.
                      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                        Permanent Member
                        • May 15, 2009

It might be nice. I wish the gauntlets were a bit more like the gauntlets they already sell. The fit on these is very tight. But the buttons are actually sculpted on which is fantastic.

Comment

• Goblin19
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 2, 2002

I like my Soace Ghost figure. The neck is really the only thing that bothers me. I wish they could have nailed that.

Comment

• jacoblb
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 7, 2009

I agree the figure rocks now. I won't be in a hurry to buy though since there's added expense involved in making important alterations.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 29, 2007

Space Ghost looks great! Just ordered mine!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎