Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GRRRRR...Thor plastic model kit cancelled AGAIN!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

GRRRRR...Thor plastic model kit cancelled AGAIN!

First Round2 cancelled it, and now Diamond Select.

Joe Jusko already did the box art and from what I was told the tooling is done, yet this amazing model keeps getting shelved for some reason. I am totally bummed...was so looking forward to this kit.
  • TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 18, 2015

Wow, I can't imagine why this would have happened twice.
    The hands that grip.

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
      Career Member
      • Sep 5, 2005

Originally posted by TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
      Wow, I can't imagine why this would have happened twice.
      Not enough orders to warrant production is the typical reason, particularly with Diamond.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

It's a real shame that model kits are seemingly on the way out. Revell and MPC both sponsored a nationwide model contest a few years ago and had several categories including a youth category, which had something ridiculous like only five entries. Five. In a nationwide contest.

I've tried to get many of my friends and relative's kids interested in building models. Not just figures either...anything that might spark their interest. Some complained that they don't "do" anything...others complained that building and painting something was "too hard" or "like work". It's truly pathetic.

I can't believe a kit of a popular Marvel character who has a new movie coming out this year can't generate enough interest to sell several thousand units.

When Aurora went into production of their Frankenstein kit back in 1962, it was based on a then 30 year old film, and they sold so many the factory had to put on two extra shifts. They were putting out three kits per minute, 24 hours a day. Producing 8,000 Frankenstein kits a day for an entire year. That's just insane.

Boy how times have changed.
        Last edited by enyawd72; Mar 25, '17, 12:13 AM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Model kits are dead here, but not elsewhere. Look at what you can get from Japan. The Aurora kits were cheap and Monsters were huge on TV then. TV movies and comics were the sources of entertainment for American kids then. Now, it needs an emoji to get a kid interested for more than a second or two.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

When I was in Jr. High and High School, I was totally into model car kits. I used to buy a couple at a time and combine them, adding the tricked out engine and suspension to a vintage 40's or 50's car, using the left over parts to make junkyard cars or demolition derby cars and to experiment with painting techniques. It was really a lot of fun, but the way I remember it, the kits were pretty cheap. I recently looked at some car kits to see what they were offering and couldn't believe they had gone up to 25-30 bucks! And that was at Wal-Mart. If I was a kid today, I doubt I would bother with that hobby and would much rather spend that on game downloads or whatever. I mean, I was looking to see if a kit caught my fancy, but I don't want to spent that much either! Haha!

Oh well. Nothing lasts forever.
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎