X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Godzilla vs Gojira

For the sake of convenience I'm going to refer to the 1956 Godzilla King of monsters as Godzilla and the 1954 original as Gojira.

I've always loved Godzilla but thanks to TCM I finally seen Gojira.

Wow, Gojira is so much better !!!

It's almost "epic"

One thing I don't understand about the editing, why do they cut out the theory of how Godzilla came to be ?

Gojira had a nice theory that's I've never heard before, basically Zilla was an unknown deep see creature that was mutated by atomic blastes.

Godzilla's poor editing made it seem like he was a dinosaur that was woken up by an A bomb.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

They are both very good. Gojira is the better film and much darker. But I think Godzilla is a more fun monster movie.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• phil
      Persistent Member
      • May 11, 2007

Gojira is one the grimmest monster movies ever. It's also a great film.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by phil
        Gojira is one the grimmest monster movies ever. It's also a great film.
        Agreed, And you've got to remember, it's grimness lies in the fact that, by and large, it was a Japanese commentary on the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki vaguely hiding under the veil of a monster movie when the actual monster IS the grim spectre of death by nuclear destruction.
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• B-Lister
          Eccentric Weirdo
          • Mar 19, 2010

I like both for different reasons,

But Gojira is the better film.
          Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎