X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Figure8
    Museum Patron
    • May 18, 2016

So many figures - how do you rank them?

While browsing old threads I found a really 'ancient' one where people ranked their favorite FTC figures. Since then their output has exploded. I'd like to know how you rank their figures now. What are your favorites and your biggest disappointments? And what do you think about FTC's performance in general?

Here are my Top 5:

1. New Shazam: They really got this one right - a great likeness surpassing any previous incarnation

2. Green Lantern: Finally they gave us Hal Jordan, and he's very close to what I imagined. Thanks for that!

3. SF Flash: A surprise hit for me. I wasn't really interested in the line, but I couldn't resist another Mego-like Flash. Now I actually like him better than the regular version.

4. Kresge Mary Marvel: Not an obvious choice, but I believe she's just what Mego might have made, including the recycled head.

5. TV Batman 66: Just very high quality here, no issues at all. If only this line would be the standard ...

Now what do I think about FTC's efforts in general? To me it's a mixed bag. Am I happy someone's keeping the hobby alive and expanding the 'Mego universe'? Definitely. I just wish they'd really adress the biggest issue: head sculpts. Heads are too big and/or wobbly and frankly I find nearly all of their sculpts more or less amateurish. Bad sculpts have made me pass on figures that were high on my wish list, e.g. Martian Manhunter and 'Neal Adams Batman'. Even FTC's better efforts like Shazam and Green Lantern aren't quite what they could be IMO. If those sculpts were customs I would praise them, but they're supposed to be done by professionals and going for 30 $ apiece. It's really not that much of a challenge to make a Flash or Green Lantern suit. I want a convincing sculpt to go with the suit. One that doesn't make me wince and that makes these figures fit in with the original WGSH line. Mego didn't nail the characters every time, but their sculpts were obviously done by professional artists. They understood what a human face looked like down to the bone and muscle structure,while FTC's heads often look like someone just drew a rough sketch on a flat surface ...
  • mego maniac mark
    Career Member
    • Aug 3, 2010

For me, I think the Batman 66 figures are the best. Followed by the Super friends.
    The remake of the originals are nice, but unnecessary to me. Some of their originals
    Are hit and miss.
    One thing is sure no matter how polarizing their figures are, I am happy they have kept the mego
    action figures alive and well. They have executed so many things we thought we would never see.
    On the other hand, some of us may wish they never saw some of these figures m
    mego's befo ho's

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

For me, Batman '66 and the Superfriends are easily the cream of the crop. Jonny Quest and Scooby Doo are next followed by the Monkees. The most disappointing was my recent purchase of Space Ghost. Since it was coming from the Hanna Barbera line, I was expecting similar quality as Scooby Doo and Quest so that was a pretty big miss. Hoping they don't have similar issues with Blue Falcon. The base superhero lines have been hit and miss and I'm officially burned out on any variants. It would require a hoarder mentality to collect all that stuff. Not for me.

Comment

• jeffbearco
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 27, 2011

My favorites of the really recent figures would be Johnny Quest. I think they got the likenesses and the costumes GREAT!
        I am also a fan of the Super Friends line.

As for disappointments, I'd say they have all of the pieces to make a great Flash figure, but so far every figure has had at least one miss to them. I'd like one Flash that has the smiling head, the costume with the belt in the right position but with the symbol with a white background, the yellow boots with the wings that aren't sticky, and the 66 Robin gloves in red. All of the pieces are there on one figure or another. They have just never come together and I don't want to invest $50 to get the figure I want.

The figure I'm looking forward to the most? That will be Wonder Woman. There is the potential for this figure to be great! But I'll admit I'll probably buy it no matter what if only to encourage them to continue making female figures. If they get her right, I'd love to see a good Supergirl figure. The Mary Ellen head with blond hair would be perfect for this! For that matter, the Mom Walton head with black hair would probably make a great WW.

The vehicle I want most? The Green Arrow Car in different colors!

JeffBearCO

Comment

• warlock664
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 15, 2009

Some of my favorites:

1. Green Lantern - love it, a home run!
          2. Plastic Man - after adding a flesh-colored Tarzan bodysuit he's perfect!
          3. Two-Face - he's arriving tomorrow, but from the pics he looks great!
          4. (a) Captain Marvel (Shazam) - the updated CM is perfection
          (b) Billy Batson - again, he arrives tomorrow, but looks like he stepped off the comics page
          5. Jimmy Olsen - I'm not even a big fan of the character, but FTC nailed him

Comment

• Teemu
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 15, 2010

Best FTC collection

100_8066.jpg100_7974.jpg

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Hands down the 66 line is just about perfect. I've added in Scarecrow, Ra's and Harley to expand he line. I really like Jonny Quest, but just can't seem to pull the trigger. Superfriends looks good, but not much interest, same or Scooby. Space Ghost eally bums me out, just an all around fail, like the alleged Neal Adams Batman.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

For me the Super Friends knock it out of the park, '66 Batman is nice but I'm not as big a fan as others here.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Figure8
                  Museum Patron
                  • May 18, 2016

[QUOTE=jeffbearco;1323930]
                  As for disappointments, I'd say they have all of the pieces to make a great Flash figure, but so far every figure has had at least one miss to them.

I understand your frustration. I like both Flash figures but none of them is perfect. Mistakes like that misplaced belt just seem so unnecessary. I hope FTC avoids similar blunders when/if they make a new 8 inch Kid Flash - a figure I'm really looking forward to. I never had the Mego Kid Flash, but he seems pretty close to perfection. IMO they should work with the original sculpt and just change his hair color to red. Wonder Woman is a big challenge for FTC since their previous female figures left a lot to be desired. But maybe FTC will surprise us in a good way this time.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎