X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Good bye...

...as I'm about to head on to Redwood Park...and trail hike the Bike Route...8.22 miles...

I'll be back later...and tell you if I made it...

sigpic
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Envious.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Pre-walk meal...one banana, one tablespoon of peanut butter, potassium and protein...and taking plenty of water, as I have a hydrating backpack. Will also a sandwich bag of beef jerky.

See ya later...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
        Envious.
        I want you to get well...so you and I can go to Yosemite one day, Brian. I know you Canadians have tons of forests, but California is warmer...

See you soo, buddy...
        sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Hector
          I want you to get well...so you and I can go to Yosemite one day, Brian. I know you Canadians have tons of forests, but California is warmer...

See you soo, buddy...
          Thanks man, I just bought a new pair of Timberlands, it's totally happening.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

Enjoy, Hector and be careful!

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Just got home.

Yup, did the 8 mile trail walk...took me 3:45 hours. Stopped halfway for a 10 minute pitstop...had some jerky.

1pm-4:45 pm.

Then after the hike...went to Subway...and ordered me a foot long cold combo cut sub. Man, I'm usually pretty snobbish when it comes to sandwiches...I like to frequent Italian delis...but wanted something fast, low calories, and cheap...and man...did it hit the spot, yum, lol...

A bit tired, nothing really sore except my left foot arch, as I have flat feet...I do wear these special insoles...perhaps time for new and improved ones...love my shoes though, Brooks Beasts, I have a dozen pairs, they rule...highly recommended if you have flat feet.

Now I'm going to watch Passengers...rented it through Redbox.

Thanks for reading...

Last edited by Hector; Mar 23, '17, 9:51 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                Thanks man, I just bought a new pair of Timberlands, it's totally happening.
                Hell yeah!

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                  Enjoy, Hector and be careful!

- Ian
                  Happy to report...no chupacabra sightings...

sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I can't imagine attempting that--good for you!
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

It takes a while to get to that point. Three months, three to four times a week...in the beginning, walking for an hour or so...then you slowly increase the distance. 1.5 hours...then 2 hours...and before you know it...6-8 miles, 3-4 hours come rather easily...it's just a matter of getting into the groove over a period of time...your stamina and muscle just keeps increasing.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

The foot long Subway Hero has 1100 calories...I opted for the cold cut combo instead...720 calories.
                        sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 20, 2011

Man, I wish I lived near you, Hector, so I could soak in some of your positive vibe energy---and have someone to hike with! Plus---California, right?
                          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Hector
                            Happy to report...no chupacabra sightings...

Hahaha Well, that's a relief! Glad all went well!

- Ian
                            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                              Man, I wish I lived near you, Hector, so I could soak in some of your positive vibe energy---and have someone to hike with! Plus---California, right?
                              Man, that would rule. Most of my friends don't wanna walk...just one...but we have different schedules, but we do meet once in a while. I went with him and his wife to Yosemite two years ago, it's about a 3 hour drive from me...

Redwood Park is obviously no Yosemite, but it's a very nice regional park just 10 minutes away from, and it does feature plenty of good old California redwoods, it's a great local park...

A hidden redwood forest lies off Redwood Road just a few miles over the ridge from downtown Oakland.

574 reviews and 1765 photos of REDWOOD REGIONAL PARK "Once in awhile, something truly miraculous happens in this world that can cause you to once again believe in a better tomorrow. One such miracle occured right here in the east bay in 1934 when the East Bay Regional Parks District was set up. You may say, so what? It's a park district, they have trees and trails right, what's the bother? Well, what makes this miraculous was the era they did it in. In the 1930s concerns over the environment or conservation was the province of a few "fruitcakes" who were to be ignored. Progress was marked in building everywhere on every scrap of land. And this was also during the depression. People were homeless, starving, begging for food and work by the tens of millions, and here a few dreamers and idealists wanted to remove some land forever from any earning potential and give it to the commonweal. Such a way of thinking was quite alien to many in this country back then and yet these "fruitcakes" persevered in their vision and did it. They acted even though they knew what they were doing would take generations of patient toil, no instant gratification here; they were thinking about generations yet to be born. Today there are about 65 parks with more coming on line, thousands of miles of trails, and a massive diversity of experiences in each place. It is part of the reason each of us who lives in the Bay Area is lucky, you only need to travel a half-hour to escape the city and find yourself in wild lands with hawks and massive oaks and quiet; it will be often the only chance many of us encounter something wild, something green and alive. Miracles don't happen often but when they do we should take a moment to honor those who manage to pull them off and I'm glad my 400th review could be written in praise of these farsighted men and women who took a chance to do the right thing those many years ago, for us."

One of the trails...

One of the entry roads...

Redwood Park is just not just redwoods...

There's an awesome planetarium on a section of Redwood Park, the Chabot Space and Science Center...

Specialties: The mission of Chabot Space & Science Center is to be a place for students of all ages to learn and be inspired about the Universe and our Planet Earth. Established in 1883. Founded as an observatory in 1883, today Chabot offers visitors the very latest in hands-on, interactive exhibits, displays, and Planetarium shows that explore the mysteries of the universe and of life here on earth. Combined with a full program of activity-filled classes, field trips, workshops, Space & Science Camp, outreach programs and special events, Chabot Space & Science Center has become the Bay Area's go to destination for visitors of all ages who want to discover and learn about space and earth sciences. Set amid beautiful redwood parkland in the hills above Oakland, yet just 2.5 miles off the freeway, Chabot is also home to Nellie, Rachel and Leah - our three magnificent telescopes and the largest on the west coast open weekly to the public. Here visitors of all ages can experience for themselves the wonders of the cosmos as they gaze through the telescopes at distant stars and planets.

Lake Chabot is the park next to Redwood Park...

This picture tells you the topography of Oakland. The section next to the water is often referred to as the flatlands...you see that is not nearly as woodsy and green as the Oakland Hills, were Redwood Park is located...

Northern California is Redwood country...but outsiders are still shocked to see something like this existing in Oakland...

Of course, Redwood Park's redwoods are puny compared to Yosemite's Giant Sequoias...

Last edited by Hector; Mar 24, '17, 4:44 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎