X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by The Re-Rooter
    I'm in that boat too. It's so hard to see characters you have loved forever and specific story lines or even characteristics that was built over 6 decades (give or take depending on the character) to have Snyder act as respectful as a sharpie-wielding child doodling on Action Comics #1.
    It like HURTS me to see characters reduced to this. I would be embarrassed to be part of this film.
    -Diana, The Re-rooter
    Too true. I'd give anything to see Capt. Marvel and Aquaman handled with the same reverence as Superman '78 and Captain America: the First Avenger.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MegoSteve
      Superman's Pal
      • Jun 17, 2005

I look at those uniforms and think they are all way overdesigned, except for Wonder Woman, who of course doesn't have as much clothing on as everyone else, so her costume has less surface area on which to attach patterned fabric, shaped pieces of plastic and metal, anime armor, and basketball texture grip nubs. It's like with the advent of high definition, we cram every pixel of every frame with the maximum information possible or else someone might get bored. I liked the 300 and Watchmen well enough, but man, the DC characters deserve to be set in real, relatable places where there's some color, not some fictional landscape devoid of life where everything is just CGI rendered rubble, craters and flames super-sharpened and HDR-filtered and toned in these desaturated colors never found anywhere in the real world. It's all just so oppressive and unfun.

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

I like colorful, spandex Superheroes... but that's way old fashioned.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

That Superman dude was the shortest JLA member out there, lol...
          sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I think the thing that bugs me is they all look like they got their costumes at the same store. Which i also hated about Jim Lee's unnecessary "NU 52" re brands as well.

Why do people with different skills, incomes and backgrounds have the same look? They're not Power Rangers.

It'd be nice is some characters were muted and some popped. I can understand a really complicated Cyborg but the Flash needs to be about movement.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

^That's exactly right.

I use Alien as the standard. Ridley had Giger, Moebius, McQuarry all working on different segments so the designs contrasted but the set lighting and exposure created unity. By using one design studio, and having the director involved with those designs, it creates a symmetry that works for a fashion line but not for story.

The problem is the designer sees a total level of distinction we don't, so it requires him to explain the function, which is how they've justified the Flash aesthetic. That's usually a sign of failure.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 3, 2009

Comment

• MRP
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2016

^If I didn't already know who these characters were already, only 2 would be instantly recognizable based on their appearance in this poster-Batman & Wonder Woman, and for a company whose characters' popularity is based on their iconic stature in American pop culture and instant recognizability, that is a massive fail on every level.

-M
                  "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                    Persistent Member
                    • Sep 3, 2009

Comment

• MRP
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2016

Well a) I already said WW was recognizable, and b) Superman is not in the poster so that part is irrelevant. But if I didn't know that was Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman who were in that poster already, those wouldn't have been my top 3 guesses (maybe not even top 10) as to who they were. I understand some things need to be changed/updated when adapting to another medium, and I even like some of the updates, but the costume updates for the League outside the Trinity are poorly thought out design failures on several levels beyond just the inability of audiences to recognize who the characters are supposed to be.

-M
                      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• MRP
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2016

My favorite comments about the Justice League costumes I have heard form co-workers who aren't comics fans..1) when did Robocop join the Justice League? I don't remember him form the cartoons. and 2) I know they cast that dude from Game of Thrones because the show is popular and they want to glom onto it's popularity, but why did they make him steal a costume from that show and make him wear it in a super-hero movie?

This is part of the nature of the failure of the costume design and its lack of recognizability. It doesn't say Justice League, DC or even super-hero to a mass audience, it just reads as a muddled confused mess that looks like its copying other franchises.

-M

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

The new future Flash costume from the TV show totally owns the Fractal Tech Gear look from the JL movie. I like the helmet, but the Transformers like split metal look doesn't look very functional at all.

I can see Cyborg looking Apokoliptian, since in this version his armor comes from a Mother Box. But the rest shouldn't look like they all went to central casting and got outfitted.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

He does look like Robocop. It's the side angle only showing the red laser eye.

Since BvS, it feels like every decision is made as to how not be Marvel.

Tell you what...if Thor is really as Kirby heavy as it appears...and JL is avoiding Kirby New Gods designs...Ragnarok is Nov 3rd, JL is Nov 17...and JL2 will be the end of Snyder. WB will never be able to explain why they didn't force him to agree to a DCU style guide.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

WW I'm excited for, but the rest of this is dreck. It's a sad, frustrating time to be a DC film fan, even as they're refocusing the comics.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                                Persistent Member
                                • Sep 3, 2009

Originally posted by MRP
                                Well a) I already said WW was recognizable, and b) Superman is not in the poster so that part is irrelevant. But if I didn't know that was Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman who were in that poster already, those wouldn't have been my top 3 guesses (maybe not even top 10) as to who they were. I understand some things need to be changed/updated when adapting to another medium, and I even like some of the updates, but the costume updates for the League outside the Trinity are poorly thought out design failures on several levels beyond just the inability of audiences to recognize who the characters are supposed to be.

-M
                                hey i didnt post it as a rebuttal to your post ,truth to tell i didnt even see your reply ,too busy cutting and pasting from better informed posters on other sites

i just thought it was cool art and others might appreciate it

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎