Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many VHS tapes do you have in your home right now?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LadyZod
    Superman's Gal Pal
    • Jan 27, 2007

I fear for my life when I walk into my husband's den of VHS tapes.

He's got 21 boxes with 72 tapes in each... boxes stacked in the walk in closet. There there are the several hundred just sitting on shelves. Total about 1000 in clamshells or HTF prerecords. The rest are transfers from 16mm or whatever else he got into before we got married.

I live in fear of that closet.

( I won't regale you on the tales from the Laserdisc/CED area.)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
    Check out my art:
    Art Portfolio@Redbubble
    Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• apes3978
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 19, 2005

I'd say around 75-100: I'd have to count to be sure...

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
        Career Member
        • Jul 30, 2012

I've downgraded the library from several hundred to roughly under 100. I've had to throw out several due to mold developing on the tape inside the cassettes. Most are stuff that I recorded from TV going back to 1985 with the original commercials and network TV promos. I'm hoping to get what I have left transferred over to digital along with my radio aircheck cassette library.

Comment

• Brue
          User without title
          • Sep 29, 2005

20 or so of things not available on DVD (some were never legitimately released on VHS)

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
            Career Member
            • Jun 8, 2015

Originally posted by LadyZod
            I fear for my life when I walk into my husband's den of VHS tapes.

He's got 21 boxes with 72 tapes in each... boxes stacked in the walk in closet. There there are the several hundred just sitting on shelves. Total about 1000 in clamshells or HTF prerecords. The rest are transfers from 16mm or whatever else he got into before we got married.

I live in fear of that closet.

( I won't regale you on the tales from the Laserdisc/CED area.)

I have 400 mostly from from record shows or that I have tape traded over the eons. SOme I filmed as I was bootlegging gigs! some from old tv'shows. Need to convert all of it before the tapes all fade away.

Comment

• SKotK
              Career Member
              • Mar 11, 2014

I have a whole shelf full of them...plus a few more Star Wars-related ones in a box in the other room.

Mostly it's stuff that doesn't exist on DVD, or at least not in that form. And the majority of that is music-related or music video releases...for some reason, a lot of music on VHS never fully made the transition to DVD, and there's still a ton of stuff that has never been released on digital. Now that we've moved beyond DVD, Blu-ray is even more unlikely for most of it, and now that physical media is going the way of the dodo even that remote possibility is going away.

I tried really hard to get rid of VHS tapes I had that I now own on DVD. For the most part I did, but there's a handful I still can't part with. Occasionally there's something on that tape that is different or didn't make the DVD for some reason.

Then of course there's a few home-taped things...some concert footage, skateboarding footage from back in the 80s, road trips, etc. I have some of it transferred to digital, but I still can't get rid of the original media in case I need to go back to it or want to do a better quality transfer.

Originally posted by Hedji
              Does anyone know if the Star Trek blooper reel ever made it to any of the Blu Ray releases?
              Sadly, no! Even though they released a whole vault full of archive footage on "The Roddenberry Vault" Blu-ray, none of the blooper reel stuff that has been floating around for decades is on there - not a single frame of it! There are a handful of other bloopers in there, but for the most part it's outtakes, deleted, or extended footage. Still can't get a proper explanation of why the original blooper reels weren't on there. I have a couple VHS tapes I bought recently with them on there, but that stuff really needs to be cleaned up and mastered properly off the original reel or negatives, if possible.

--SKot
              Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Thanks SKot! I thought I was crazy and just must've missed the Trek bloopers on a release. They would've been perfect for the Roddenberry Vault.

Comment

• SKotK
                  Career Member
                  • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by Hedji
                  Thanks SKot! I thought I was crazy and just must've missed the Trek bloopers on a release. They would've been perfect for the Roddenberry Vault.
                  I finally broke down and bought the Roddenberry Vault, already aware it was going to be a little disappointing. It's great material, don't get me wrong, but they completely botched the transfers of the film footage in addition to other things. It's not in 1080p (though the included episodes are, which we generally already own), but in poorly-mastered standard definition 480p...and on top of that, they screwed up the aspect ratio! Things look slightly stretched to the observant eye, which is just inexcusable.

So to break it down:

- high initial price point, assumedly due to including all those redundant episodes (the price has since gone down considerably probably because it's been a poor seller)
                  - NO blooper reel material
                  - some of the lost footage is only viewable as part of the documentaries, and not separately
                  - amateurish transfer of the lost footage (combtooth/interlacing effect and choppy frames in the footage shown during the documentaries)
                  - botched aspect ratio on the lost footage
                  - footage has not been cleaned of scratches/debris or color corrected (I don't mind this so much, but it would be nice to have seen it properly restored)
                  - NOT in 1080p (except for the episodes themselves, which people aren't buying this set for) despite being sold on a Blu-ray disc

I hate to sound like a complainer, but geeze...what a botch job. They worked on this for ten years...TEN YEARS. And this is the end result? Ouch. I've said before, it's like somebody making you the best birthday cake ever, but then explaining that the frosting is made out of of dog crap.

I really want to blame CBS and Paramount for this mess in addition to all their other mis-steps last year, but honestly I think it was probably the Okudas, Rod Roddenberry and the crew who were supposed to restore this stuff that dropped the ball. They had one job...

Anyway, getting a little off-topic here. The original point was that at present the Star Trek bloopers are still a thing mainly only available on VHS...which is why I have 3 VHS tapes of bloopers.

--SKot
                  Last edited by SKotK; Mar 28, '17, 6:37 PM.
                  Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

Okay, I thought I was the only one disappointed with the layout and formatting of that set. I'm glad I got it for less than $20 around Christmas, because it is a bit of a letdown.

Comment

• Mongoose1983
                      Career Member
                      • May 14, 2010

I have about 40 VHS tapes, and I believe about 30 beta ones. Some collectibles, some recordings. And I have a Hi-Fi VHS and a Toshiba Beta machine.
                      www.tamiyaclub.com/member.asp?id=23692

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎