X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Shocking reply from BBTS

I received the new 1/6 scale Scars of Dracula figure yesterday, and UPS damaged the box and figure. So I took a photo and emailed BBTS and their reply absolutely floored me.

I was told they factor in damage that may occur during shipping and as long as it's only 20% damaged you're just supposed to live with it. Mind you, this figure cost $250 with shipping. And this is how it arrived:

Damage.jpg

Only after complaining did they say they'd make an "exception" in my case and accept a return. Mind you I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars with them over the years and never made a single complaint.

Unbeliveable. I have never EVER heard of a company pre-factoring damage into something when they sell it.
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Did you talk to the manager ?

Maybe you were talking somebody that just didn't care and was trying to screw you around.

I never heard of any company with a policy like that.

It doesn't even sound legal

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I think they were right to give you a return but I bet that you would be shocked about the nightmare that some of their clientele probably are.

When we originally sold the Canuck figure I got some valid "damaged in shipping returns" peppered with some "No matter how many figures you send, it will never be perfect enough" emails that made me pale.

That policy isn't there for people like you.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
        I think they were right to give you a return but I bet that you would be shocked about the nightmare that some of their clientele probably are.

When we originally sold the Canuck figure I got some valid "damaged in shipping returns" peppered with some "No matter how many figures you send, it will never be perfect enough" emails that made me pale.

That policy isn't there for people like you.
        Yeah, I can appreciate that...but that's why I provided them with a photo of the damage. This was clearly not a case of a minor ding, nor was it a $25 figure. They finally did send me a return label though, so it all worked out...this time.

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
          Yeah, I can appreciate that...but that's why I provided them with a photo of the damage. This was clearly not a case of a minor ding, nor was it a $25 figure. They finally did send me a return label though, so it all worked out...this time.
          Like i said, you deserve an exchange, especially on a $200 item. I'm sure because you don't return stuff often or ever was important to this as well.

I also have been staring at that dracula all afternoon.

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

It's funny how their FAQ completely dances around the issue of damage due to shipping. I could be wrong, but was it BBTS that used to have a tiered shipping program where you could pay a bit more for guaranteed mint, or am I thinking Entertainment Earth?

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Hedji
              It's funny how their FAQ completely dances around the issue of damage due to shipping. I could be wrong, but was it BBTS that used to have a tiered shipping program where you could pay a bit more for guaranteed mint, or am I thinking Entertainment Earth?
              EE has a "Not Mint" section where you can buy damaged stuff. I do it all the time, to be frank it's usually unnoticeable wear.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
                EE has a "Not Mint" section where you can buy damaged stuff. I do it all the time, to be frank it's usually unnoticeable wear.
                I have bought that stuff too, I have never gotten anything with any noticeable damage to the package

Comment

• ODBJBG
                  Permanent Member
                  • May 15, 2009

To be fair, that's not really damaged is it? I mean, it sucks, especially on an expensive item like that... But it looks like it amounts to one corner of the box being a bit bent. I can see why they weren't in a rush to do any sort of return. If the figure itself was damaged, that'd be one thing.

I get that there's plenty of anal MOC people out there as well, but I suspect the 20% is mostly a line to cover the fact that they aren't going to guarantee mint packages all the time.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                    To be fair, that's not really damaged is it? I mean, it sucks, especially on an expensive item like that... But it looks like it amounts to one corner of the box being a bit bent. I can see why they weren't in a rush to do any sort of return. If the figure itself was damaged, that'd be one thing.

I get that there's plenty of anal MOC people out there as well, but I suspect the 20% is mostly a line to cover the fact that they aren't going to guarantee mint packages all the time.
                    Agreed. I order from Sideshow/Hot Toys a lot...many boxes arrive with little bent corners on boxes and stuff...slight scratches, etc...but as long as the figure/statue itself is fine...I don't trip much.

Any pictures of the damaged figure itself?
                    sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by ODBJBG

Yeah, it's damaged. When it's your $250 then you can decide what is and what is not an acceptable level of damage. Would you buy a brand new car with 20% body damage and be happy? I mean, the engine's fine right?

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
                        Agreed. I order from Sideshow/Hot Toys a lot...many boxes arrive with little bent corners on boxes and stuff...slight scratches, etc...but as long as the figure/statue itself is fine...I don't trip much.

Any pictures of the damaged figure itself?
                        The figure itself is probably fine. I will never know because I didn't open it. Doesn't matter. The amount of damage to the box is unacceptable to me, and that's all that matters.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

^ I agree. I'll use books as another example. I buy books often, mostly in hardcover. Amazon and Barnes & Noble do not know how to competently ship books, particularly heavier hardcover ones. (Which is a shame because they've become the norm over other booksellers who did know how to ship properly.)

I take care of my books and expect to receive them in very good condition--no crushed spines, bent corners, torn jackets. Money is money and you can bet I exchange ones that have been shipped or handled improperly.
                          Last edited by PNGwynne; Mar 22, '17, 4:55 PM.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                            Permanent Member
                            • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by enyawd72
                            Yeah, it's damaged. When it's your $250 then you can decide what is and what is not an acceptable level of damage. Would you buy a brand new car with 20% body damage and be happy? I mean, the engine's fine right?
                            No, because that's not a comparable argument. Body damage to a car is not anywhere near equivalent to a slightly bent corner on a package made of PAPER.

Like I said, you're complaining about damage but the figure isn't damaged. The packaging was, but it's not BBTS fault. Clearly the postal service beat the box up.

If the shipping box was pristine but the interior packaging was damaged, I'd see more reason to complain, because you'd know that BBTS were the culprits, but in this case they're clearly not at fault. The item was packaged well and arrived without damage to the item.

If you're someone who buys things purely for the package, you need to specify that when ordering and look into paying extra to insure you get perfect condition boxes. But again, in this instance, not much BBTS could do as they clearly packed the item well. But at least then you'd have a more reasonable grounds for return.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

The seller bears the burden of proof, so to speak. They are working with a shipper to provide a product. The customer's expectation is to receive a proper product. The onus is not on a customer with reasonable expectations. If that item is a $250 collectible, then vendors should know that packaging is important as well. This is not 1980, and that box is not slightly scuffed.

That said, vendors should charge accordingly for shipping.
                              Last edited by PNGwynne; Mar 22, '17, 5:06 PM.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎