X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Beauty and the Beast stomps BVS opening weekend record

My wife wanted to see this Friday so I went fully expecting to find a new way to get some winks while pretending to watch a movie. So many shows were sold out later in the evening so we caught a 6:30 viewing (which ended up being packed out as well). This turned out to be a film of two halves for me. The first half was okay but very much color-by-the-numbers with the '91 classic. Emma Watson gave her standard performance of facial expressions without pulling from anything that made me feel like she was into the character. So about the time I was ready to give up on this movie, Emma and the beast began to find a chemistry that gave the film new life and the story went up about ten notches and I was hooked in the rest of the way. I ended up liking the film and as it turns out allot of people checked it out this weekend. Enough to blow the doors off the March opening record held by BVS. That right there makes it a classic for me. Domestically its pulling in $174 million while worldwide the tally is $350 million. Impressive.

MONDAY UPDATE with Beauty and the Beast actuals: She’s even more beautiful today, that Belle. Disney is reporting that its behemoth Beauty and the Beast came in at an international box office cume of $182.3M for the weekend. That’s $2.3M over the Sunday estimate. Combined with domestic‘s $174.8M debut frame, the global launch welcomed $357.1M […]
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

my wife took our daughters to a matinee today. I passed. i'll check it out when it hits TV

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Saw it with Cindy and Dani and enjoyed it quite a bit. They loved it. Great production with a strong cast and nice effects work, and it fleshed out the original animated film while not contradicting it either. Nice balancing act.

Cindy and Dani saw it again yesterday...TWICE! A Girl Scout troop outing and then out with my sister. They all love it!

I'm glad this is kicking BvS' butt...and for me to say that tells you how wrong-headed that film is!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• 4NDR01D
        Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
        • Jan 22, 2008

Saw a matinee this afternoon. Some miscommunication with our friends about where to meet up meant that we were among the last to enter the theatre, and you guessed it, we got the worst seats. Front row.
        Still really enjoyed it. Very true to the original cartoon movie.

Comment

• apes3978
          Permanent Member
          • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          I'm glad this is kicking BvS' butt...and for me to say that tells you how wrong-headed that film is
          I guess i'm out of the loop: What is "BVS"?
          Last edited by apes3978; Mar 20, '17, 2:49 PM.

Comment

• Brown Bear
            Still Old School
            • Feb 14, 2008

Batman vs Superman I assume.
            Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

I'll watch it on Redbox...
              sigpic

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 13, 2016

I really enjoyed the movie, it didn't stray too far from the animated storyline but gave some more depth to the characters.
                I still think they shouldve gotten Angela Lansbury to reprise her role (she's still alive, right?) but otherwise really liked the cast.
                Biggest plot twist is that Dan Stevens (from Legion) played the Beast! He did fine but it was awkward to see him in Colonial era clothing.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I think it would have been lovely to have some narration by Lansbury.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                    Career Member
                    • Aug 29, 2007

We had decided to let a week or two pass so the crowds would die down, but now I've read and listened to a few not-so-great reviews, so, I don't know. Is there a cartoon short before it?

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 13, 2016

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      Even Celine Dion came back to sing the closing song! My mom was the one who caught that since she had a heap of Celine Dion cassettes in the 90s.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

So, the "boycotts" didn't work I take it?
                        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                          Persistent Member
                          • Sep 3, 2009

no dog in this hunt but okay so if im reading this right
                          and im not sure i am
                          Zack Snyder’s superhero epic generated $170.1 million in the U.S., with another $254 million worldwide, giving it the biggest superhero opening ever.

beauty & the beast took 8 million more in the usa opening weekend than bvs ,but 74 million less than bvs worldwide opening weekend
                          not sure that qualifies as having your "doors blown off "but your milage may vary

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            Perfectly stated. Although I haven't seen the film yet, my daughter loved it.

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Werewolf
                              So, the "boycotts" didn't work I take it?
                              I love when sensibility wins and people vote with their wallets.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎