X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

RIP Bernie Wrightson

So sad to hear this news. Such a "Gentle Giant" of a man. Had the pleasure and honor of meeting this LEGEND a few times over the years of going to conventions. His talents will be sorely missed. RIP Bernie...your impact on the comic book industry will be felt for generations to come:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03...n-passed-away/
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

One of my favorite Wrightson creations:

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

One of the greatest horror artists of all time...may he rest in peace.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

Awwww, damn. Man, as far as reading and collecting comics, this one hits and hits hard. I've been collecting Berni's stuff for years and have had several really great conversations with the man. He was a master of his trade who never took that trade too seriously or let his ego get the better of him and he always, always, always had time for people who just wanted to talk to him about whatever. I remember having a conversation with him a few years back about the differences between dogs and cats as pets and the pros and cons thereof and it was like I was talking to an old friend about it. Berni's is a soul who will be greatly missed by anyone who met him and had a chance to get to know him, no matter how peripherally. I know he's been suffering for the past few years, so I'm glad that that suffering has been laid to rest and he has gone in to join the better angels around us. Peace, love and condolences to his family, his friends and his many, many fans worldwide. Your talents and personality shall be missed, good sir, but never, ever forgotten...
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

Wow, what a day for losing legends. We lost Chuck Berry earlier today, and now Bernie. I'm at a loss for words.

Rest well gentle sir.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I knew he was ill and could probably never draw again, but this was still somewhat unexpected. One of the legends of the comics medium, with no hyperbole. He was the real deal and earned that title. RIP.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

Sad news indeed. One of my favourite artists. R.I.P.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

I can't overstate the profound effect his art had on me. I wish I could've met him. He is interviewed in the Just Desserts documentary from Red Shirt Pictures for his graphic novel adaptation of Creepshow. He seemed so humble, kind, and soft spoken... a real gentle soul. When I was 10, I saw his adaptation in the JC Penney book department; Creepshow was my first VHS I ever rented because of Bernie Wrightson.

It is being reprinted this year. Do yourself a favor and preorder a brand new mint copy for yourself. It'll be the best 12 bucks you'll ever spend. https://www.amazon.com/Creepshow-Ste...rnie+wrightson

Rest in Peace, Mr. Wrightson.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                  One eyed, wonder
                  • Dec 17, 2009

Love his work greatly. True talent for us horror fans. After his health problems in the 90s, we all were lucky to have him around for as long as we did. Rest well Bernie, and thanks for everything. :(

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Damn, he's been one of my favourites since I was a teenager. Very sad to hear, he was an amazing talent.

Comment

• rche
                      channeling Bob Wills
                      • Mar 26, 2008

RIP Bernie, and thanks for all the visual treats.

Comment

• johnnystorm
                        Hot Child in the City
                        • Jul 3, 2008

Truly a master of comic art. Met him a few times at cons, and always found him gracious. A huge loss to the industry.
                        RIP, Bernie.

Comment

• comicmike
                          Persistent Member
                          • Sep 22, 2009

Toronto Comic Con's announcer asked for a moment of silence today at the end of today's event to show respect for Bernie: It was a very respectful gesture for all in attendance to share.

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

It kind of ticks me off that none of the mainstream news outlets have mentioned his passing. There is no shortage of articles about Chuck Berry however. That always seems to be the case. If Bernie were an actor, musician, or athlete the media would be interested. An artist...not so much, even though he did far more good in his life than many of the people that DO make the news.

Comment

• jacoblb
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 7, 2009

Very sad. Bernie was a true talent. I met him along with Steve Niles and Tim Bradstreet and count myself fortunate to have gotten so many books signed. I shared pictures of the trio back when I had a MySpace page, which doesn't seem as long ago as it was.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎