X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WannabeMego
    Made in the USA
    • May 2, 2003

Iron Fist [DO NO ENTER: Spoiler Warning]

Finished Watching the Series (FYI: These Series start 3 AM EST on the Release Date) ...

Leaving this as a Place Holder to Discuss the Series...Will Post My Opinions Shortly
    Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

Dude there already is a thread on Iron Fist.

And you started that thread also.

Comment

• WannabeMego
      Made in the USA
      • May 2, 2003

I've been an avid Iron Fist Reader going back to the Early 80's when it was an easy series to find a complete run of as Back Issues at your Local Comic Book Store, if you were lucky enough to have one near you

Anyway...

I'm not one of those that was hell bent on the whole 'Iron Fist should be Asian' argument...but I can see/understand a story element that would have been intriguing had they leveraged that angle.

...so...

To be Honest...I think it was the weakest of all the Marvel 'Netflix' Series and thought it could have been much better, but it also wasn't God-Awful Horrible...it was kinda off...

The Editing was HORRIBLE!!! There were WAY TOO MANY Scenes where I could actually see the setup before the shot...like a pause before 'Action', and that threw off everything after that for me.

Throughout the entire show and for each of the Characters, there was No 'Art' in any of the Martial Arts...it was more Bad Street Fighting and the choreography was just sooo lame!

Danny Rand (Finn Jones) was too much of a Naive Hippie for my taste and would have preferred if he spoke more from a position of 'Honor'/Authority...there was a very, very brief moment of that in the Dojo and that was about it.

Another thing that really bothered me was the fact that people, who should know better, just walk right into the Dojo and onto the Mat/Floor with their Shoes & Sneakers!!! ...and even the Sensai doesn't say anything!!!

Enjoyed the Colleen Wing (Jessica Henwick) Character and think it should definitely be explored with greater detail (i.e Daughters of the Dragon).

I got the feeling that even though Hellcat (Patricia 'Trish' Walker) was played by Rachael Taylor in 'Jessica Jones', they are kinda setting up Nurse Claire Temple (Rosario Dawson) to possibly play that Character as one of the 'Daughters of the Dragon'...

Series and Character development dragged....though I did enjoy the setup of 'The Hand' and The 'Mitchum Family', I am concerned that they might come close to creating a line within 'The Hand' halves of Japanese (Bushido Moral Manipulators) vs. Chinese (Kung Fu Drug Lords)...I hope not.

...and I was surprised that I wasn't really bothered that he doesn't wear a 'costume' or that it ended with no clear tie-in to 'The Defenders' or any of the other Characters/Series.

Overall...IMHO...the Series was just 'OK' with a lot of possible potential.

Interested in Comments from Others who have finished Watching the Series.
      Last edited by WannabeMego; Mar 28, '17, 7:53 AM.

Comment

• WannabeMego
        Made in the USA
        • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
        Dude there already is a thread on Iron Fist. And you started that thread also.
        DUDE...Yeah I know that...I'm trying to follow Proper Forum/Posting Etiquette.

It is/was for the Trailer and an Open Discussion for Folks who haven't seen it yet and don't want it to be ruined by Spoilers.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

I really liked it!

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
            learning all the time
            • Sep 15, 2010

I'm torn between my expectations and my... now greatly lowered expectations.
            As a generic show about generic characters I'm not invested in, it was pretty good.
            But as a show about Marvel's Iron Fist, it was a preposterously misguided and utterly dull disappointment.
            Hilariously miscast and poorly conceived, it was hard to believe that this ever got greenlighted.
            On the heels of Dr. Strange (a character full of weird mystical supernatural etc) Marvel Netflix decides to bring Iron Fist to the small screen and instead of trying something daring by embracing the character's violent and mystical nature, they...
            strip him of any and all kinds of physical menace or presence, practically neuter his mystical powers, and have him walk around office buildings in a suit with white sneakers. Seriously. Not even yellow sneakers.
            Is this the Iron Fist anyone asked for?
            A scruffy haired, corporate nine to fiver, with a desk and a computer who says things like "thanks" and "dude?"
            What an inconceivably lame and lackluster iteration.
            I suppose this "imagining" served the purpose of grounding the char in the NY of the other netflix shows, maybe even brought Danny down a notch to better fit his flawed cohorts, but I could've come up with a dozen more interesting ways to do it.
            And now Mr. Buck is in charge of The Inhumans?
            Say it aint so!
            There were some good things here: Madame Gao, Colleen (even her fight scenes were better than his!), the immortal Harold, even Ward's antics... You know your show's in trouble when the most interesting parts don't involve your title character!
            I was on board after the first few eps, but by around ep 7 or 8 I just kept on shaking my head and saying,
            "Why do Iron Fist at all if you're going to change him so much he's not even recognizable? Why did Daredevil's fight choreography absolutely blow this away? Don't they have somebody in charge of these shows to oversee them? How in God's name could anyone see this guy as Danny Rand? He has all the physicality of a puppy dog."
            I was soooooooooo excited for this show and I'm soooooooooooo disappointed.
            Instead of a modern arthouse, 70's drive-in, kung fu/western with dazzling fight scenes and a compelling backstory we got a show about some rich surfer dude who does yoga and some weird Meacham family.
            Yawn.
            First mis-step for Marvel Netflix, but it's a doozy.
            Like I said, it's a pretty good show.
            But it's a horrible Iron Fist.
            ********DUMP THE BUCK '17**********

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

SPOILERS WELL NOT REALLY BECAUSE I'M NOT THAT FAR IN BUT WHATEVER.

I kind of bailed after the fifith show. I couldn't bear the assassins he had to face, cartoony dialogue and lame fight scenes.

Worst off, it was directed by RZA, the man who I'd trust to add a real (AND SUPER NEEDED) Shaw Brothers feel to this thing.

I'll probably go back and finish it during my recovery period but man, it's a tough watch and I'm such an easy mark too.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• clemso
                Talkative Member
                • Aug 8, 2001

I've finished the series and I think Iron Fist is the weakest so far. DD is streets ahead, Luke Cage was great, especially Cotton Mouth. Jessica Jones I also enjoyed, but Iron Fist was just ok. I found Colleen Wing's performance far more engaging than Danny Rand. Madam Gao kept saying that Danny Rand acts like a child and i think his temper tantrums were some times a little over the top at times for the top Warrior of Kun Lunn.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                  valar morghulis
                  • Mar 8, 2005

I just finished E6, and honestly I find it only modestly below par of the other series. Cage fell apart for me in the second half of its season, and even DD and JJ had their ups and downs.

But specifically, what's hurting this for me is that Danny is such a dope. He's tough to take.

Also tough to take? The 10 year old Apple monitors being used in all the Rand offices

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                    valar morghulis
                    • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by clemso
                    I found Colleen Wing's performance far more engaging than Danny Rand.
                    Agreed.. and I just realized that the actress is also one of the Game of Thrones Sand Snakes!

53ab553ecdbb360cd1bebc269f5842ae.jpg

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Haven't started watching it yet...maybe I just won't...
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Ok, I'll watch one episode tonight...let's see what happens, lol...
                        sigpic

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                          valar morghulis
                          • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                          Agreed.. and I just realized that the actress is also one of the Game of Thrones Sand Snakes!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20397[/ATTACH]
                          And Iron Fist is another GoT alum.. Loras Tyrell!

Loras-Tyrell-image-loras-tyrell-36735828-1140-641.jpg

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                            valar morghulis
                            • Mar 8, 2005

I read an interview with Finn Jones.. he said he only trained for martial arts for three weeks before the show started filming. He also said that because of the tight filming schedule, sometimes he only "learned" the various fights choreography 15 minutes before they filmed!

It shows.

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Ok, four episodes watched so far.

Finn Jones is likable enough, but he can't fight worth a craap...as you said, it shows.

Jessica Henwick (Colleen Wing) can't fight either...slow as molasses. Hell, all the fight scenes suck.

For awesome martial arts...look no further than into the Badlands...now that's great choreography, plus a lot of the actors are real martial artists.

Whomever had the final casting decisions should be fired immediately...what a mess.

I mean...isn't what Iron Fist is all about? Martial arts?

Oh boy...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎