X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I met the Flash of Two Worlds

...or two shows, at least. I had planned on skipping nearby Lexington Comic Con this year, because the whole family is making a weekend of Heroes Con in Charlotte this June. But when I saw John Wesley Shipp was going to be a guest. I caved. I'm not much of an autograph hound, but the Flash is one of my favorite characters, and Shipp has played both Barry Allen and Jay Garrick and I really enjoy both shows, so I just had to get his John Hancock on a photo!

So my son Andrew and myself made a B-line for Shipp's table when we arrived yesterday, ahead of the crowd. I'm usually pretty tongue-tied when I meet celebrities, not knowing what to say, and not wanting to be obnoxious. But this time, I thought of the perfect thing to say. He introduced himself as John, just a like a normal person would, and put his hand out. I introduced myself and Andrew, and told him that when Cindy (Andrew's mother) and I were first beginning to date in high school, she called while the "Flash Forward" episode of his original series was on. I answered that call, to which my Dad commented "It must be serious if he's willing to miss the Flash!". Shipp got a genuine laugh out of it, and said he was glad he was there to be ignored and help out.

One of the nicest celebrities I met, and it's such a good feeling when your heroes don't let you down.

Chris
    sigpic
  • Godzilla
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 3, 2002

Very cool! I really enjoyed the original Flash TV show.
    Mortui Vivos Docent
    The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Great pic! Glad to see the younger generation appreciating old school shows. Shipp looks fantastic, nice to hear he's a cool dude in person.

Again, great photo...
      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Your boy is getting tall...he already passed both you and Shipp...

sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, no kidding! I forgot to mention he said Andrew would make a good Wally West! He also liked my Flash jacket, and said he had one just like it!

Oh, and Andrew was raised on that Flash DVD set, long before the new show came on. Of all the comic-to-tv live-action shows before his time, that's his favorite. He just about wore the discs out!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
            Moderation Engineer
            • Aug 14, 2003

Awesome story! I remember watching Shipp on Guiding Light with my grandma and I thought he was cool even then. I've never met him but he's always come across as a genuinely nice person to me.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

That's terrific, thanks for sharing.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

I met John a couple years back at Screaming Tiki Con in Niles Ohio...he was incredibly warm and friendly...and most of all sincere. Definitely one of the nicest celebrities I've ever met.

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  it's such a good feeling when your heroes don't let you down.
                  So true. Very happy for you, Chris! Great pic!

Comment

• johnnystorm
                    Hot Child in the City
                    • Jul 3, 2008

Very cool, sir! Very cool indeed!

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

What a great story! Very nice picture of you and your son with Da MAN! I agree too. He would make the perfect KidFlash! Thanks for sharing Chris.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 20, 2011

Very cool, Chris, thanks for sharing! I'll bet the did get a hoot out of your story. Celebrities, being just like all the rest of us, likely enjoy hearing stories like that rather than having people drool all over them or totally geek out. Glad to hear he's a genuinely nice dude, too.
                        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎