X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Hector
    True. However...in the case of Dr Strange's Ancient One..it's a secondary character. Does anyone really cared or knew who Tilda Swindon (outside the hierarchy thespian circle) was? No doubt great actress...Academy Award winner at that...but she's not exactly box office,
    She was cast in the role to get away from the Tibetan roots of the ancient one, which would have totally offended China. It was a move to insure world wide box office success, nothing more.

In the same way Scarjo will help sell a property based on an anime the majority of the world hasn't heard of but "Oh Black Widow!"
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

But I did say even in a fantastical universe...Mars just doesn't click.

Amazons are human-like who can blend. Krypton is far away, no light reflection, the planet would've been near invisible to our telescopes, surrounded in complete darkness. Men dressed a bats? Heck, I see that everyday on the streets...lots of strange people in the Bay Area, lol.

But Mars?

It's right here...

I don't see J'onn J'onz anywhere...

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by MRP
        I always thought in one of their many reboots DC should have made J'onn the Roswell alien who came to earth from Mars at a time when there was water and there was a disaster involving fire (some kind of solar flare, the explosive destruction of the celestial body that resulted in the asteroid belt?) that that desiccated the planet making it the waterless world we know (hence the fire aversion). His escape ship lost in hyperspace until it crashes in the New Mexico desert in 1948 and he is kept under wraps until he escapes and uses his shapechaning powers to blend in until the age of heroes occurs and he can come out into the open...but that's just me

-M
        Man, that's perfect! Way better than the original lame origins. And there lies the problem...Martian Manhunter has had some many changes and different starts from scratch origin storylines...all stemming from the new information we keep discovering and gathering from Mars...as fantastical as comic books are...it still gets in the way. Sci-fi and fantasy still need a tad of logic here and there for all of it to work.
        sigpic

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

Eh there are enough hollow earth theories, I could go with a hollow Mars theory too why we don't see anything on the surface and that's even before you get into time travel or the fact Martians have invisibility powers.

You would just need to connect it to some pop/mass culture touchstones like the face on Mars or the old belief in the lines as canals and with some current science theory like there once was water on Mars to create a back story with enough verisimilitude for it to work for movie audiences.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

Man, that's perfect! Way better than the original lame origins. And there lies the problem...Martian Manhunter has had some many changes and different starts from scratch origin storylines...all stemming from the new information we keep discovering and gathering from Mars...as fantastical as comic books are...it still gets in the way. Sci-fi and fantasy still need a tad of logic here and there for all of it to work.
            A lot of that was inspired by reading the Martian Manhunter American Secrets 3 issue prestige mini-series DC did back in the 90s I believe. It is perhaps my favorite Martian Manhunter story even if it was an Elseworlds type deal.

-M
            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 13, 2016

[QUOTE=
              I didn't get your last Diana/Wonder Woman sentence. What did you mean?[/QUOTE]

My first name is Diana, I sign my name at the end of most of posts as "Diana, the Re-rooter" but since we are talking about the Goddess herself...I tell people I was named after her but it's a total lie. My parents were never into comics :( She watches the movies now and did make me a kick *** Kingdom Come armored WW costume for a comic con, but all the posers there thought I was Hawk Girl. The 5 people who did know who I was were really impressed. But yeah, I'm just a wannabe Wonder Woman :P

Diana, The Re-rooter, not the Super Hero

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

To get back on topic though. I haven't liked any of the DC cinematic efforts in years, but Wonder Woman has me hopeful. It will be the first I have seen in the theatres since Man of Steel, and I hope it will be the first in a long time that doesn't leave me feeling I lost a couple hours of my life I will never get back the way the last few did when I watched them a home on blue-ray/DVD.

-M

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                  She was cast in the role to get away from the Tibetan roots of the ancient one, which would have totally offended China. It was a move to insure world wide box office success, nothing more.

In the same way Scarjo will help sell a property based on an anime the majority of the world hasn't heard of but "Oh Black Widow!"
                  Ok, I'll give you those...it makes sense...but not on Mars and J'onn J'onz...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by MRP
                    A lot of that was inspired by reading the Martian Manhunter American Secrets 3 issue prestige mini-series DC did back in the 90s I believe. It is perhaps my favorite Martian Manhunter story even if it was an Elseworlds type deal.

-M
                    That's the one DC should pick, stick with that one...and I'd gladly accept and welcome J'onn J'onz into the JL, ha...
                    sigpic

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 13, 2016

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Mars is just too real, huh? Is that the reason why he is so boring?
                      Martian Manhunter just screams "missed opportunity" to me as far as writing is concerned.
                      He's an alien! Who like saw his whole family murdered (or something like that)! He's a friggin shape shifter! How can NO ONE find a decent storyline for him with those building blocks? Give that to a 7th grader to write a short story about and I bet it would be awesome.

Diana, the Re-rooter, and mostly humanoid

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by MRP
                        Eh there are enough hollow earth theories, I could go with a hollow Mars theory too why we don't see anything on the surface and that's even before you get into time travel or the fact Martians have invisibility powers.

You would just need to connect it to some pop/mass culture touchstones like the face on Mars or the old belief in the lines as canals and with some current science theory like there once was water on Mars to create a back story with enough verisimilitude for it to work for movie audiences.

-M
                        That is not bad either!

I just HATED that stupid Martian Manhunter origin story used in the TV show Supergirl...stupid...like the show itself.

As much as I hate Smallville, and mainly because Tom Welling never wore the Superman suit until a decade later in the last friggin episode for all of ten seconds...in a long obscure shot at that...it was still an Einstein production compared to that Maiden of Fluff, ehem, I mean, Maiden of Steel show, lol...
                        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                          I only see a little hollow square, Brian...
                          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by The Re-Rooter
                            My first name is Diana, I sign my name at the end of most of posts as "Diana, the Re-rooter" but since we are talking about the Goddess herself...I tell people I was named after her but it's a total lie. My parents were never into comics :( She watches the movies now and did make me a kick *** Kingdom Come armored WW costume for a comic con, but all the posers there thought I was Hawk Girl. The 5 people who did know who I was were really impressed. But yeah, I'm just a wannabe Wonder Woman :P

Diana, The Re-rooter, not the Super Hero
                            Oh, I see, ha!

Well, you are now officially OUR Wonder Woman...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by The Re-Rooter
                              HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Mars is just too real, huh? Is that the reason why he is so boring?
                              Martian Manhunter just screams "missed opportunity" to me as far as writing is concerned.
                              He's an alien! Who like saw his whole family murdered (or something like that)! He's a friggin shape shifter! How can NO ONE find a decent storyline for him with those building blocks? Give that to a 7th grader to write a short story about and I bet it would be awesome.

Diana, the Re-rooter, and mostly humanoid
                              Get rid of the Mars scenario altogether. He was created when the whole Martian invading Earth stories were in vogue. War of the Worlds was very popular, especially the Orson Wells 30s radio broadcast, and the 1953 movie adaptation. But it just doesn't work nowadays.

Rename him Planet X Manhunter or something...

sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                                Hi Ernie!!!
                                • Feb 15, 2004

That's the one DC should pick, stick with that one...and I'd gladly accept and welcome J'onn J'onz into the JL, ha...
                                Its also been retconned that J'onn was displaced in time by Dr. Erdel's teleporter, his race dead for thousands of years. Perhaps that will make you happy. A Martian is no more far fetched than a guy with a magic ring or a guy who is struck by lightning and chemicals to give him super speed. Its a freaking comic book, why even bother applying Earth Prime logic to it?
                                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎