Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant He-Man

Images

Giant He-Man

Mattel's take on jumbo retro figures.

Mattel solves one of the biggest issues I had with the jumbo Gentle Giant SW figures. They are glossy, like the original figures, unlike the dull matte look of Gentle Giant's figures. Another improvement is the figures are made out of a sturdy hard plastic and not the soft squishy hollow vinyl of GG's figures.

He-Man has all the articulation, accessories and action feature of the original figure. Yes, he does have the twist waist punching action and his half of the Power Sword does snap together with Skeletor's half. A major change is the legs are now strung with an elastic cord instead of a rubber band. The legs also have two little notches added in each which snap into clips in the pelvis to keep the legs locked into place for display. You will also notice some breaks in the sculpt that kind of looks like added articulation, like at the wrists. It's not. It's just how the pieces were molded and fitted together.

giantheman.JPG

The figure is a bit softer in detail than the early MOTU figures. The detail level is closer to the later vintage hard head figures or 2000 Commemorative reissues. The head sculpt, on He-Man, is noticeably a bit off and does look more like the Commemorative figure than the eight or twelve back soft head original one. My guess is these are probably digital up scales of the Commemorative figures.

They do come on retro MOTU card backs in the style of the original eight back cards. But they are not the same. There are only seven figures on the back of the card and not the same ones from the eight back. The cards are not resealable.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    Skeletor is even closer to the original figure than He-Man.

giantskeletor.JPG
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

He looks awesome!

Images
    Yeah, they did a really nice job on these.

Oh, I forgot to mention, they did change the sculpt of He-Man's left hand slightly. His little finger is not as spread apart. This little change makes the shield super easy to snap on and off. The shield front is painted and doesn't have the cardboard insert like the original.

Images
    Those are cool

Images
    Beautiful figures. Wish I could afford them.

Images
    cool info! thanks for sharing!

Cool, it looks like Mattel did a better job on these than GG did on the giant SW figures.

Yeah, they're really nice...I have Skeletor and Beast Man. Unfortunately Mattel only made six. I wish they'd finished off the 8 back. I desperately wanted Mer-Man, and they could've easily done Faker if they didn't want to spend the money on tooling a jumbo Teela.

Images
    Doing Zodac over a popular A-list character like Mer-Man was definitely a mistake. Not making Teela was also a huge bummer for me.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Mar 11, '17 at 1:58 PM. Reason: typos