Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you ever follow the story-line and characters defined by the toy company?

Did you ever follow the story-line and characters defined by the toy company?

I rarely ever did, if at all.

My RAH GI Joes turned into a Megaforce-inspired fighting force. Micronauts, Crystar, and Tron figures intermingled with each other in in their own 'universe', where Baron Karza wasn't Baron Karza but some other tyrant of my own design. Other World, Dragon Riders of the Styx, Clash of the Titans and AD&D figures took on their own adventures that were inspired by the movies Krull and the Dark Crystal. And I gave them all different names from what the toy manufacturer named them. The Mego Black Hole and Buck Rogers good guys (all with different names of my choosing) used the Super Joe Rocket Command Center as their own base to fight off an army of robot invaders (Acroyears!) lead by their evil robot master (Shogun Warriors die cast Mazinga!)..
    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

The mail away Flexi disc record for Super Powers really helped me know the Kirby characters like Darkseid and Steppenwolf, since I wasn't really familiar with them through the comics. So, yeah, that was my continuity guide for play.
    SELL ME YOUR LOOSE MINTY WONDER WOMAN!

Images
    I kept to the official names and scenarios of my figures, but crossovers were common. For instance, IG-88 engaged Maximillian in epic droid slugfests regularly, and my Draconian Guard often served in the Empire's stormtrooper ranks as a mercenary.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_T7BhcH-_Lqw/Rph52zHLjQI/AAAAAAAAAWY/IRQJUp3saOs/s200/Hulk.jpg

Looking for the following Mego "Comic Action Heroes" accessories: Penguin's umbrella and Green Goblin's satchel/shoulder bag.
    And one Mego Comic Activator (working or non working).

My He-man, Blackstar, and MOTU knockoffs often had adventures together in whatever I could come up with. Sometimes it was Eternia based with some characters filling in for others I didn't have. Rocklords would serve under the leadership of Stonedar and Rokkan as spies. Most of my fortresses were cardboard cutouts that I drew.

Images
    I followed the storylines, but sometimes added figures from other lines. At one point toward the end of my toy-playing days, some of the GI Joe: RAH figures had joined the Super Powers as a new team of Teen Figures. I even drafted a Targetmaster Transformer as the resident robot character!

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Images
    For me the Mego commercials really inspired me to want those figures, but I was pretty much an "independent director" when it came to creating my own adventures. My imagination was off the wall, so they got good use. I will add I never used the company name as a tag line when discussing them as a child either. I wouldn't exactly say that was a colloquialism amongst my friends. No one thought of themselves as "collectors" so the company name served really no purpose in a conversation. It would be like calling GI Joes " Hasbros" or Big Jim's "Mattels". So, for me, the Mego label did not come into play until I was an adult and some distinction had to be made between figure lines we played with as kids. What did I call them back in the day? If they were comic characters I called them superheroes, or the primary character name. But no matter the company name, I loved the commercials for all those popular figure lines, because it sparked my own imagination for a unique adventure.
    It's not how hard you hit, but how hard you can be hit and still move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Figuremod73 View Post
    My He-man, Blackstar, and MOTU knockoffs often had adventures together in whatever I could come up with. Sometimes it was Eternia based with some characters filling in for others I didn't have. Rocklords would serve under the leadership of Stonedar and Rokkan as spies. Most of my fortresses were cardboard cutouts that I drew.
    It was hard for me to mix those figures you mentioned with the 3.75" figures. I tried keep them all the same sized. So I, like you, intermingled my He-Man, Blackstar, KOs (along with some Power Lords and Sectaur figures) to create my own adventures independent of the toy manufacturer story-lines. I was the director of my 'movies', per se.
    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Images
    I never really considered it before, but I guess I did follow the storylines, for the most part.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Blog Entries
    Definitely when it came to the superheroes, mostly because I was an avid Super Friends viewer. Same thing with Star Trek, it was like you could act out your own show.

Stuff like Big Jim, GI Joe, that was much more free form. I made it up as i went along, I couldn't read well at the time, so the comics they came with didn't really influence me.

I don't think the Micronauts comic affected my play with them at all, even though I enjoyed it regularly.

Images
    Clothes and accessories were swapped, and new characters were created. I used to love a good "knockoff", because it was like a whole new character to play with that was unencumbered by any storyline. Darkon from Super Joe became the alien captain of the Enterprise, my Metalman figure was a new hero for Star Wars and GI Joe, etc. Basically, if the toys were in scale, they were fair game to get drafted into service.