X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

Best Kong move ever. No debate.

Thankfully not another drab remake of the original. Fun new characters, great Kong, no dumb dance scenes, explains everything without having to hit you over the head with it. Just amazing.

Not sure what some of the complaints here are about. Cause they cut some monster scenes from the trailers? Anyway, really solid movie. Nice setup for the future. Haven't walked out of a movie this pumped in ages. And certainly never walked out of a Kong movie pumped about anything.

Well, I was pumped when Peter Jackson's Kong was over, but only pumped in the sense that I'd been locked in a theater for what felt like 10 hours watching one of the worst movies I'd ever seen. But still, not the same.

GO SEE THIS FLICK! Fun from start to finish.

Comment

• Godzilla
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 3, 2002

The fam went and saw it yesterday and everyone loved it. My wife gasped at a number of the deaths. Excellent stuff! My kids couldn't quit talking about the post credits scene.
      Mortui Vivos Docent
      The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by ODBJBG
        Best Kong move ever. No debate.
        1933 King Kong is still king in my book. I still get more chills and thrills from that stop-motion animated Kong vs biplanes sequence atop the Empire State Building...than the fancy CGI of the latest Kong movie, and don't get me wrong, I really liked Kong: Skull Island...my second favorite Kong flick...better than the 76 version, better than King Kong Lives, and certainly better than Jackson's version.

King Kong 1933 has the tragic factor though...so in a way, I somehow agree with you too as well. Kong: Skull Island is indeed better in many aspects, as this Kong kicks arze and wins, plus it's tons of fun...unlike its somber 1933 counterpart. So if we are judging that way, then I agree with you. But in terms of drama, originality, historical importance, influence...and imagine movie goers back then watching that film for the very first time, it just had to be mind-blowing to them...King Kong was ahead of its time. The original is unmatched.

Kong: Skull Island is a brand new Ferrari. The original King Kong is a 1933 Alpha Romeo...

I also dig King Kong vs Godzilla...it's not a perfect movie, but fun nevertheless. Only seen King Kong Escapes once as a kid...now I'm going to look for it again...I'm a sucker for Japanese giant monster movies, as we all are here, I'm sure, lol.

But in my book, the original King Kong is still King...with Kong: Skull Island, a worthy successor...

Last edited by Hector; Mar 22, '17, 2:36 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• ODBJBG
          Permanent Member
          • May 15, 2009

I wasn't really counting the original. And while I actually do prefer it to the original, I think certain cinema has to be viewed in a vacuum and the original RKO film, much like the original Gojira, has to be viewed that way. It's unfair to compare them to modern filmmaking, though I suppose that is true for most eras of films. Putting aside FX, style and such for film changes every 20-30 years making some comparisons difficult.

But in the nutshell, Kong:Skull Island is pretty stellar and to me was a cut above most stuff that usually has the Kong name attached.

Though I do find King Kong Escapes quite fun. Toho and Rankin-Bass at their wildest and wackiest!

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

I know i'm very late to the party but I finally just seen Kong:Skull Island

I think it was pretty dang good.

I'm surprised I really like Kong's new origin story made specifically so he can eventually fight Godzilla-- as a matter of fact I like this movie more than Godzilla 14 .

Loved having Skull Island inhabited with some huge normal animals aka the Water Buffalo … It makes Kong fit in better.

Sometimes I get a little sick of Samuel Jackson (only because he's in EVERYTHING) but I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked him in this.

Also love how the natives (instead of being savage) are kinda like Tibetan Monk-ish

I give Kong:Skull Island 4 of 5 stars … I was entertained

Comment

• Megotastrophe
              Permanent Member
              • Jun 29, 2018

He liked it! Hey Mikey!
              I saw it a couple times on HBO. it's good. It still makes me wonder about every Kong movie including the original. So these people went and found Dinosaurs and brought back Kong? I wanna see a young explorer named Hammond sneaking some dino eggs back for his theme park...
              Plus since Kongs are natural Kaiju fighters...can we see one in Pac Rim3? Maybe trained in Krav Maga? Kung Fu?

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎