Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

It's good. The end hits an absurdity that's hard for me to take, even in a giant monster movie.

I give them credit for trying to blend Kong, Apocalypse Now and Predator. It doesn't always work, but it's makes for an interesting movie.

Comment

• ODBJBG
      Permanent Member
      • May 15, 2009

I plan on seeing it tomorrow and will probably pop in with my thoughts... But I just wanted to add that I found Jackson's Kong one of the worst movies in recent memory. How that didn't win all the Razzies I'll never know. It was painfully long, played homage to Mighty Joe Young more than Kong and included some ridiculous scenes like the one where he ice skates with Naomi Watts. I'm hopeful that this movie brings some interest to the franchise because I thought Jackson nearly killed the Kong name with his venture. I love the look of this Kong too, making him look like, well King Kong and not just a generic gorilla.

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

Kong himself is awesome in every scene.

There's a point where they insert a scene for more Kong screen time and it makes you feel if they dropped the characters and just went into Nat Geo: Skull Island, it could be the most amazing film of the year.

Comment

• Goblin19
          Talkative Member
          • May 2, 2002

Entertaining, but not great. It's kind of a mash up of Jurassic World and the last Godzilla movie. It was fun, but low on character, high on spectacle.

Comment

• madmarva
            Talkative Member
            • Jul 7, 2007

Ape action and the other monsters are great. It's a fun movie. Kind of wasted a great cast. Goodman and Jackson's charisma is there, but their characters are caricatures. Hiddleston is bland. Brie Larson knows how to wear a wife-beater, but is given nothing interesting to do. John C. Riley made me laugh.

Movie reminded me a bit of The Land that Time Forgot from the mid 1970s as well as Predator and of course the Apocalypse Now imagery and Heart of Darkness allusions.

I wish it was better, but I still had a lot of fun watching it. It's worth seeing for the Kong action and the post-credit scene is exciting. I liked it better than the recent Godzilla restart.

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

^Land That Time Forgot is a good call.

SPOILERS AHOY

Something greatly changed during shooting. There's a distinct tonal shift with Goodman's demise and then time continuity starts getting wonky. You have scenes from the trailers and BTS videos that are nowhere to be seen. For example, one trailer shows the tree ants and another video shows the natives canoing the survivors down river. Plus, there's a time lapse that's missing a night sequence.

Then you have the insane ending. How does Kong rip that tongue out and not crush her in the process? There's suspension of disbelief, but that requires the story to hold to basic rules like physics, unless they are purposely dismissing physics as the Matrix and superhero movies do.

I think they revamped from middle second-act, (Kong Graveyard) onward so it wasn't three white people, (Hiddelston, Larson, Goodman) who only survived. It feels like the soldiers were to die in the graveyard, and the scientists by the ants. Riley would then man the turret and subsequently die saving Larson during the end fight. Kong also kills the Head Skull with that propeller hit, because as it splits him in two they cut hard. And Hiddleston takes a powder which is really odd since he was supposed to be the lead.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

So this is set in 1973, correct?

Then that's a juvenile Kong...he's going to be much bigger by the time he clashes with Godzilla (if it's set in the present), I'm pretty sure...

Oh wait, I see a problem with that theory...

The following could be spoilers. I have not seen the movie, but I know of some of the establishing plot.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS........

OK, the Skullcrawlers were the reason all of Kong's family are gone. But if that was the case...it means Kong's parents were still about the same size as the Skullcrawlers...so there goes my theory of Kong getting bigger by aging. So it would have to be something else...for Kong cannot possible tackle a Godzilla three times his size. Perhaps Kong gets bigger by the same principle Godzilla did? A nuclear subplot all over again? We shall see...

END OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS...
                Last edited by Hector; Mar 17, '17, 4:02 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

They do point out in the movie that Kong is "still growing". So by the time he meets Big G, he should be about the right size.
                  Whether that's just going to be a result of his natural growth cycle or if he gets irradiated, or even experimented on by Monarch remains to be seen.
                  Last edited by Bruce Banner; Mar 17, '17, 5:22 PM.
                  PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• mego maniac mark
                    Career Member
                    • Aug 3, 2010

I saw it last week and thought it was lots of fun with great scenery and CGI. Go see it and just have fun.
                    As far as Kong growing, I don't remember....

SPOIlERS AHEAD:

In the beginning after the planes crashed and the hand to hand battle , Kong is revealed, but just his hands and Face. He seems large to me but I never thought when he is totally revealed that he had grown and it's 30 years later. I suppose he could have grown since he is now older. Or was that one of his parents? I doubt that.
                    If they are going to come out with Godzilla 2 prior to the Vs. Movie , perhaps Kong makes a cameo at some point to explain future growth in whatever way they can.
                    mego's befo ho's

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Saw Kong this afternoon...what a fun movie. John C Reilly was a riot, lol.

Applause from the crowd at the end...well deserved.
                      sigpic

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 13, 2016

Originally posted by Hector
                        Saw Kong this afternoon...what a fun movie. John C Reilly was a riot, lol.

Applause from the crowd at the end...well deserved.
                        I've enjoyed reading this thread, thanks for all of your thoughts/reviews!
                        I somehow completely missed this movie entirely, I just saw it on the marquee a couple of nights ago when we went to go see Beauty and the Beast. I do enjoy a good action packed monster movie so I will have to go see this one!

Comment

• drquest
                          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                          • Apr 17, 2012

I took my son and 7 of his friends to see Kong yesterday and I really enjoyed it a lot and they did too.
                          Danny(Drquest)
                          Captain Action HQ
                          Retro shirts and stuff
                          More retro shirts
                          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• apes3978
                            Permanent Member
                            • Nov 19, 2005

I want to see this too, although I'll probably see it when it comes out on DVD...

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                              Invincible Ironing Man
                              • Feb 28, 2008

I liked it a lot, though it could have been better.
                              All the scenes with people are really expendable. Bland characters, no development, and I never cared about any of them except the pilot. Hiddleston sleepwalks through most of it.

On the up side, the scenes with Kong are fantastic, I love his "look", they nailed it 1933 style, and he steals every scene he is in. His opponents are a bit uninspired, but the King himself keeps you watching.

The script is a bit shaky, so is the continuity, that could have been better.

For me, this is the perfect "warm-up" for what's to come.
                              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• drquest
                                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                                • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                                I liked it a lot, though it could have been better.
                                All the scenes with people are really expendable. Bland characters, no development, and I never cared about any of them except the pilot. Hiddleston sleepwalks through most of it.

On the up side, the scenes with Kong are fantastic, I love his "look", they nailed it 1933 style, and he steals every scene he is in. His opponents are a bit uninspired, but the King himself keeps you watching.

The script is a bit shaky, so is the continuity, that could have been better.

For me, this is the perfect "warm-up" for what's to come.
                                I think there's a better "story" on the editing room floor. Goodman's character was just "poof", and I was surprised by that.
                                Danny(Drquest)
                                Captain Action HQ
                                Retro shirts and stuff
                                More retro shirts
                                Stuff For Sale

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡