X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Kong Skull Island Reivews - No Spoilers

Haven't read the trades, but a big rave wave is occurring.

Exchange I had with a long-time genre critic I trust said it's better than Godzilla in just about every way, and expects an embarrassed Peter Jackson to announce a big non-Tolkien project due to the ridicule his Kong is going to take.
  • Sideshow Spock
    valar morghulis
    • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by hedrap
    Exchange I had with a long-time genre critic I trust said it's better than Godzilla in just about every way, and expects an embarrassed Peter Jackson to announce a big non-Tolkien project due to the ridicule his Kong is going to take.
    Not really sure what the point is in taking a shot at Jackson's Kong, which was both a critical and financial success. Say what you will about Jack Black and Co, but Naomi Watts and Kong were incredible. I found the climax to be so freaking sad and unsettling that I have never been able to watch those parts again.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

The reviews read pretty much how I was taking in the trailers. Looks like a fun ride. I'm likely not going to put much emphasis on the original Kong movies (either three) for this film. Everyone has their favorites with those, but this seems to be stoking the old flames from the Japanese team-ups. So for me its apples and oranges to tie that in with the beauty and beast fable. Same character but different wheelhouse in it's ambitions. This feels 100% like a kid ride so I'm taking my inner child and leaving the rest behind.

Comment

• phil
        Persistent Member
        • May 11, 2007

I'm just expecting an entertaining pop corn movie. If it succeeds on that level I'm fine with it. The 1933 film is one of all time favorite movies and I liked the Peter Jackson film. The Jackson film was way too long but Naomi Watts' performance and the effects for Kong were both excellent. I am happy people are saying the new movie is better than the recent Godzilla which I didn't like.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

I'll catch it on home video.

THIS is the one I'm looking forward to

https://www.amazon.com/Ape-3-D-Blu-r...Ape+blu+Ray+3D

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

I'm hoping this one will make me forget Jackson's version. That was so OTT, it became a cartoon.
            And Kong should have been more than just a big gorilla, he needs to be more like a kind of missing link.
            Looking forward to this new version a lot!
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

I was never really a King Kong fan to begin with.

I just don't think a giant ANY animal is particularly interesting .

Now Godzilla is a different story --- he's a giant MONSTER

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Saw it tonight.
                Great! There are some genuinely spectacular and jaw-dropping moments in this movie as Kong battles the denizens of Skull Island and the human protagonists.
                It's definitely a thrill ride and one of the most straight up enjoyable movies I've seen in a while.
                Make sure you stay until after the credits for an epilogue which sets up the epic monster brawl we're all anticipating.
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• YoungOnce
                  Career Member
                  • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                  Saw it tonight.
                  Great! There are some genuinely spectacular and jaw-dropping moments in this movie as Kong battles the denizens of Skull Island and the human protagonists.
                  It's definitely a thrill ride and one of the most straight up enjoyable movies I've seen in a while.
                  Make sure you stay until after the credits for an epilogue which sets up the epic monster brawl we're all anticipating.
                  Crap. I didn't know there was a post-credit scene. We left. Grrrrr....

As far as the movie... Fun popcorn ride, great set pieces. Just good to be in the world of Kong.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 20, 2011

Young, did you and Bruce above you see the 2D or 3D version of the film? I'm torn as far as which route to go and pretty much anymore, you almost have to see these things first weekend out or they get replaced the NEXT weekend by the next big 3D flick....
                    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• The Batman Professor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 15, 2010

Just got back from 3-D - LOVED IT.

NOTE: stay for the end credits scene - BUT DO NOT READ THE END CREDITS!!!
                      sigpicSWEAR TO ME!

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

I'm glad you guys liked it, because I'm reading some mixed reviews online.

But I'm trusting you guys...
                        sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                          Young, did you and Bruce above you see the 2D or 3D version of the film? I'm torn as far as which route to go and pretty much anymore, you almost have to see these things first weekend out or they get replaced the NEXT weekend by the next big 3D flick....
                          I went for the 2D showing... although I might go and see it again in 3D, as there seem to be a lot of sequences which would look pretty spectacular in 3D.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• phil
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 11, 2007

I saw it in 2D this afternoon and enjoyed it. It was much better than I expected.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                              Career Member
                              • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                              I went for the 2D showing... although I might go and see it again in 3D, as there seem to be a lot of sequences which would look pretty spectacular in 3D.
                              Yeah... 2D for us too. But I could see a lot of scenes that were made for 3D. I'm not crazy about 3D in general, but this might be a good one for it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎