X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideshow Spock
    valar morghulis
    • Mar 8, 2005

"I Am Your Father", David Prowse documentary

Stumbled across this streaming on Netflix, haven't seen it mentioned here..

It's definitely worth a watch. They actually re-shoot the end ROTJ scene where Luke removes Vader's mask, but this time they use Prowse.

Unfortunately, they don't have the rights to show us the end product, just some shots of them putting the scene together..
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

thanks for the heads up. I started watching but then Netflix glitched and I could not get the movie to start again. will try again later

Comment

• fallensaviour
      Talkative Member
      • Aug 28, 2006

Just watched it today.I was really looking forward to seeing the recut scene ,that was the only real let down.
      “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

For me, costume actors vary according to the demands of the role. Some definitely bring more of a craft to the part than others. I thought Anthony Daniels was pretty relevant to his portrayal of C3PO because of the demands of selling the robotic movements. But when I think of Vader, I think of James Earl Jones. Without his sinister inflections, you don't have that villain. I met David Prowse and I get the celebration of his participation in the film. But if I'm being honest and looking past simple fandom, I really think Jones is the heart of that character.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I watched the film as well and thought it well done. Even though Prowse was a total knob to me and my wife, i did feel empathy for the guy while watching it.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Klosterheim
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 23, 2013

I watched parts of a different documentary on Netflix.

Prowse was in it too.

It is called Elstree 1976.

I'll try to check the other one out.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

I have been watching it in parts. I find some of what they are saying rather biased towards the story the director is trying to tell, which I guess all documentary's tend to do. Prowse kind of comes off as a dip****, at least so far

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I've told this story before, but David Prowse came to the comic shop I worked at, and did two appearances there on two separate occasions. I was essentially his gopher all day, so I got to spend quite a bit of time with him. While he wasn't the most warm and cuddly person I ever met, he was courteous and talkative.

At the time I wasn't aware of his Hammer work, because I know I probably would have asked him more about THAT than I did Star Wars. I think he appreciated that I did ask him about some of his other jobs, including working with Chris Reeve to get him into shape for Superman.

I'll have to check this documentary out. Even in 1997, he was very vocal about getting screwed out of being the face of Vader/Anakin...and I tend to agree with him.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• apes3978
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  Even in 1997, he was very vocal about getting screwed out of being the face of Vader/Anakin...and I tend to agree with him.
                  Same here...

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                    valar morghulis
                    • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                    I have been watching it in parts. I find some of what they are saying rather biased towards the story the director is trying to tell, which I guess all documentary's tend to do. Prowse kind of comes off as a dip****, at least so far
                    Huh. At no point of the docu did I feel he was coming off that way.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎