X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timothy2251
    Jerks beef with Ten Bears
    • Mar 15, 2008

Best paint for CTV Gold Boots?

I'm looking to get some paint to rework some of the CTV Gold Boots I recently received. looking to make them all brown and all white, but I need suggestions as to what's the best paint to use. Preferably something that won't chip or scratch.

Any advice would be welcome! Thanks in advance!
    "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."
  • dr_cyclops
    One eyed, wonder
    • Dec 17, 2009

I heard Automotive vinyl paint. Never tried it myself.

Comment

• Timothy2251
      • Mar 15, 2008

Worth a shot - thanks, Doctor!
      "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 13, 2016

The Last CTV boots I worked with were plastic, I'm assuming these are also a light weight plastic.
        If that is the case, this is what I recommend:
        First use a primer. This way the paint will stick. It does not always like to stick to plastic. I use Liquitex matte primer/sealer, it wasn't that expensive and works awesome.
        When trying to change the color of something, I give it a base white coat using watered down acrylic paint. They have all brands and prices, but the stuff from Walmart actually isn't that bad. I prefer Liquitex but use the cheap stuff when I run out.
        Now you can paint them! Acrylic paints work great, and I prefer them if I don't want the shine of a paint that isn't oil-based. It is also pretty forgiving. I don't have super steady hands so I sometimes have to go back and fix my mistakes. The more a paint is watered down the less issues you will have with brush strokes. May require a couple extra layers, but overall look is way nice.
        Make sure to seal the paint (the same primer works for that, too!) once you are happy with it. This helps to prevent chipping.
        Hope this helps!

Diana, the Re-rooter (who paints sometimes too )

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 13, 2016

Wrong wording- do NOT go with an oil-based paint! Go with a WATER based paint. Some oil-based paints can leave a "greasy" look.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
            Moderation Engineer
            • Aug 14, 2003

CTVT plastics can be really tricky to paint. My results have been mixed. I like Diana's suggestions, but I would add a scuffing routine. Super fine sand paper, a Mr. Clean dry eraser, a dishwashing pad - anything to break the sheen on the plastic and help adherence.

Comment

• The Re-Rooter
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 13, 2016

Great advice! That can be especially helpful if the mold lines are not very clean, which is pretty common with boots.

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
              CTVT plastics can be really tricky to paint. My results have been mixed. I like Diana's suggestions, but I would add a scuffing routine. Super fine sand paper, a Mr. Clean dry eraser, a dishwashing pad - anything to break the sheen on the plastic and help adherence.

Comment

• Timothy2251
                • Mar 15, 2008

Thanks for the advice, Re-Rooter and EMCE Hammer! Much appreciated! I'll keep everyone posted!

Comment

• TRDouble
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jul 10, 2012

Ah! Finally found a thread related to what I want.

Instead of painting a CTVT boot, would dying be an option? No one seems to make a brown glove and I was curious about buying white gloves and dying them brown.

Same with maybe dying a pair of boots red (not sure if I can find the style I want in white though).

Or is painting the boot the best option?

Thanks!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

What kind of white glove? The plastic ones will only tint, if at all. If you mean the vinyl '66-style plug-in boots and gloves, those should be dyeable.

I think you could use automotive vinyl spray paint on them, too.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MegoMam
                      • Dec 21, 2015

Spray on Plasti-Dip

Comment

• TRDouble
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        What kind of white glove? The plastic ones will only tint, if at all. If you mean the vinyl '66-style plug-in boots and gloves, those should be dyeable.

I think you could use automotive vinyl spray paint on them, too.
                        I was thinking the '66 style gloves. Thanks!

Comment

• TRDouble
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by MegoMam
                          Spray on Plasti-Dip
                          I will look into that too. Thanks!

Comment

• BATMAN89
                            Mego obsessed!!!
                            • Jul 20, 2010

Originally posted by MegoMam
                            Spray on Plasti-Dip
                            I was just opening this thread to suggest the exact same thing!
                            Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
                            My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Does Plasti-dip bond or just make a coating? I've never used it.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎