Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MPC Pirates of the Caribbean are BACK!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by enyawd72 View Post
    Here is the first promo shot of the first kit..."Hex Marks the Spot" formerly known as "Dead Man's Raft"

Attachment 20344
    OMG, it's the "Dead Man's Raft"! Dammit, I always envied my brother because *he* got that kit, while I ended up with "Hoist High the Jolly Roger". Of course it was 1973 or 1974, so neither of us were able to do a really good job painting them.

I can't believe that I'd waited over 40 years to get my chance again! Where are these being sold?

Quote Originally Posted by enyawd72 View Post
    Here is the first promo shot of the first kit..."Hex Marks the Spot" formerly known as "Dead Man's Raft"

Attachment 20344
    Awesome. I still have my original (completed) Dead Man's Raft model kit. What I liked so much about this one (as a kid) was the "spring" action of the skeleton jumping out of the box. Was this one part of the Disneyland Pirates of the Caribbean dark ride or just made up by the model kit company?

Barnabas Collins

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas Collins View Post
    Awesome. I still have my original (completed) Dead Man's Raft model kit. What I liked so much about this one (as a kid) was the "spring" action of the skeleton jumping out of the box. Was this one part of the Disneyland Pirates of the Caribbean dark ride or just made up by the model kit company?

Barnabas Collins
    Made up by the model kit company (MPC). There is an equivalent scene on the Pirates ride, with a skeleton manning a ship's steering wheel, but no skeleton springing up with a dagger hitting a map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCVskIbJg_E&t=659s

See 4:02. This is the Tokyo version, and the video is closer-up than what you can see on the US ride.

Just got back from Tokyo myself. One week ago, I was riding Pirates at Tokyo Disneyland. What's truly astonishing about it is the way that the boats come within 6 feet of the animatronic figures. You could almost reach out and touch the treasure yourself. You can see the faces and a level of detail there that you can't see here.

That wouldn't fly in the US- you know that some dumb American would jump off the boat and run over to the skeletons and pirates and Disney would have to call security and shut the ride down. Apparently the Japanese just don't do such stupid things.

Images
    Thank you very much for this great news! I always wanted to have them, but I never got them (neither the Haunted Mansion ones). I already made a pre-order.

Quote Originally Posted by ribefex View Post
    Thank you very much for this great news! I always wanted to have them, but I never got them (neither the Haunted Mansion ones). I already made a pre-order.
    You are very welcome! I'm so happy that these are finally coming out for a whole new generation to build and have fun without spending a fortune.

Images
    Thanks again, enyawd72. When I was a kid I spent many hours, days... watching their ads on WARREN magazines. There is so much magic in model kits from that era!
    Do you think they can also reproduce the art boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by ribefex View Post
    Thanks again, enyawd72. When I was a kid I spent many hours, days... watching their ads on WARREN magazines. There is so much magic in model kits from that era!
    Do you think they can also reproduce the art boxes?
    No...unfortunately all association with Disney and Pirates of the Caribbean has been removed. The original painted box art has been replaced with photography and even the names of the kits will be changed...BUT the models themselves are the same at least.

Images
    If that has been the price to re-produce them, then I have no complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMOQ View Post
    Made up by the model kit company (MPC). There is an equivalent scene on the Pirates ride, with a skeleton manning a ship's steering wheel, but no skeleton springing up with a dagger hitting a map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCVskIbJg_E&t=659s

See 4:02. This is the Tokyo version, and the video is closer-up than what you can see on the US ride.

Just got back from Tokyo myself. One week ago, I was riding Pirates at Tokyo Disneyland. What's truly astonishing about it is the way that the boats come within 6 feet of the animatronic figures. You could almost reach out and touch the treasure yourself. You can see the faces and a level of detail there that you can't see here.

That wouldn't fly in the US- you know that some dumb American would jump off the boat and run over to the skeletons and pirates and Disney would have to call security and shut the ride down. Apparently the Japanese just don't do such stupid things.
    Hi. Thanks for the reply and info. I never knew all this.

Barnabas Collins

awesome!!
    My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Donít you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!