X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Pod Stallions 51: Sci-Fi Sitcoms

Episode 51 has Jason and Brian discussing the world of (mostly short lived) Sci-Fi sitcoms, we touch on everything from the shows that predate us like "My Living Doll" to the best our childhood had to offer like "Quark", "Holmes and Yo-Yo" and the 70s phenomenon that was "Mork and Mindy".

We speak about such highs such as "Red Dwarf" and "Futurama" but also have fun with the lows like "Homeboys in Outer Space".

It's a tight 65 minutes of deep sitcom nerdery, buckle your space belts, gather all your shabdibs, we're using the Source.

Plenty more content on the PodStallions Facebook page!

PODSTALLIONS ON ITUNES
    PODSTALLIONS RSS FEED

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Another Friday saved!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Falstaff13
      Persistent Member
      • May 28, 2008

Once again, I really enjoyed this. I know you were focusing on SF sitcoms, but I kept thinking of shows like Captain Nice and Mr. Terrific (and even the Batman show itself), so maybe a follow up based on super hero comedies could also be done. I did think of one you didn't discuss, though I would not call it quality by any real stretch--the British Come Back, Mrs. Noah, starring Mollie Sugden and basically amounting to "Mrs. Slocombe in Space." This was the same kind of familiar joke set up as Are You Being Served?, but (of course) on a space station, and I think it ran a year.

I also thought when you did it how there are some sitcoms that veer into science fiction over their time. Three came to mind while I was listening:
      1. Gilligan's Island, which got more and more fantastic with the inventions included, and it definitely went that route with the ruin films (including robots playing the Globetrotters). This makes me think now not only of the Gilligan's Planet animated spinoff but also of Bob Denver in the live-action Saturday morning show Far Out Space Nuts.
      2. Family Matters, which made nerdy Urkel into a super genius who could transform his personality through a machine and who even invented a time machine late in the show's run.
      3. The Monkees, which often offered advanced technology and mad scientists in its plots.

Thanks again for triggering these memories.
      Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
      Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Bantha5
        Museum Super Collector
        • May 2, 2013

Always makes my day a little brighter when I see a new one in my feed. A.L.F. was mentioned and also the cartoon, if I remember correctly the cartoon was much funnier than the show. Haven't seen it in years, but I wonder if it holds up.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Ah, Red Dwarf.

I vaguely recall "Quark" with Richard Benjamin.
          Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 25, '17, 4:18 PM.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            Ah, Red Dwarf.

I vaguely recall "Quark" with Richard Benjamin.
            Every Quark is on youtube, I have been torturing my wife with them. I am in nostaglia overload, she leans over to me occasionally and whispers "thissss ssssuckssss".
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

^Heh. I get the eyeroll, a huff, and then a sleeping wife on the couch.

I really enjoyed this show, even though I have never watched several of these, and a few I'd never heard of! I do remember Small Wonder. It's so awful I feel bad about picking on it, like the show inherently can't help itself but be horrible.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Small Wonder is excruciating, like "what were they thinking?" One can't even enjoy it as a lazy attempt at camp.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  Small Wonder is excruciating, like "what were they thinking?" One can't even enjoy it as a lazy attempt at camp.
                  The entire family's acting is miserable, the father's mugging alone makes me want to never stop punching him.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

There was another show, "Out of This World", that was pretty much the same thing... only the little girl was half alien instead of a robot. It was only slightly less terrible.

For a recent example of a good sci-fi sitcom, I have been digging "People of Earth" on TBS. It is a pretty dry sense of humor, The aliens are great.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎