Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever order from comic books those plastic military men?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZMOQ
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jun 1, 2010

Oh yeah! Who can forget that exciting Russ Heath artwork advertising "132 Roman soldiers" for, like $1.98? The battle looked fantastic, and kids, of course, didn't notice the fine print:

*shown below is an imaginary battle scene

I loved Romans, so I scraped together my $1.98. When the packaged arrived, it was a tiny cardboard box, smaller than the boxes of checks you get from the bank. Something was wrong, I thought. I opened up the box and there were 132 Roman soldiers alright, as flat as a stamped animal cracker. The "chariots" had the horses, chariot and driver all molded as a single piece, and the horsemen as well as the chariots weren't even in-scale with the foot soldiers.

The catapults were a joke. They technically worked, and you could use them to launch the (included) hollow soft plastic balls.

There's a blog that shows all of the wonderful (lol) stuff that came in the box.

Here's the original ad from the back of the comic books: Certainly colourful enough! Full of action and promise for the young reader...

Comment

• dr_cyclops
      One eyed, wonder
      • Dec 17, 2009

In the book 'Mail Order Mysteries', it says these sets were made by the same company that made Cracker Jack prizes.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 12, 2016

I remember all these ads, and it is annoying expecting to get a set of figures along the lines of your traditional 3d figures, only to end up with flat pieces of plastic. But I guess what can you expect for under $2.

On a side note, how about the ads where you sold stuff and they had all these prizes you could choose from...fishing sets, gas powered cars, etc...how many people actually sold any of the products they mentioned?...
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎