X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmthor
    God of Knock-offs
    • Nov 29, 2005

Looks like the 3 3/4" to 4" figure scale is dead

Scanning the Toyfair pics It looks like for the most part general release figures (except for Star Wars and a couple others) are in the 6"-8" scale now and most of the 3 3/4" to 4" are just for limited collector and on line sales. Now i did hear from a buddy in the industry that said he has heard buyers complain about how can they market the smaller figures that seem to be almost as much (in cost) as the larger ones ....the value to customers tends twords the larger scale figures as a better value and more bang for your buck. So just wondering what you all feel is the smaller scale dead or do you think this is just a temporary lull.
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Where do you get the idea that the scale is dead? There are tons of new 3 3/4 figures coming out. Star Wars, Masters of the Universe, Hellboy, Alien, Toxic Avenger, Shogun, Planet of the Apes, The Worst, Creepshow...that seems pretty good to me.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I'd honestly say it's making a comeback if anything else. With Funko making it into Big Box store retail, we're going to see more of these on the shelves than we have for years, save for Star Wars and The CORPS!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

I was walking around toy fair yesterday and was amazed at the amount of 3 3/4" figures that were announced. Funko even had a little set of Twin Peaks figures.
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• tmthor
          God of Knock-offs
          • Nov 29, 2005

I understand that however Most of the super 7 figures are not going to be at Walmart or Target they MIGHT be at TRU but most of what I see is a shift at the retailers to the larger figures. From what I hear is most of the retailers want the larger scale figures as a value point the larger figure next to a 3 3/4" or 4" figure the larger figure seems like the better value since lately they almost cost the same. I remember reading somewhere that they do almost cost the same to produce once you get into super articulation which is why the Star Wars went to 5 POA. I DO think Star wars will continue for a while in the format And of course lines like the Corps will and some others will to but it seems that the 3 3/4 - 4" scale is becoming the specialty market as opposed to the larger scales. Kind of what happened in the 90's where 5"+ scale was king for quite a while until the Star Wars figures came back. I do know many people prefer the larger scale size due to better detailing and posability. I know many people and collectors who wish the 6" and larger scales would come back at the standard size. IDK maybe I am missing it but i feel that as a whole the standard 3 3/4" mass market lines are slowly going away. Then again I also think that as a whole as less Brick and mortar stores around I do see toy departments shrinking and that may be part of it.
          Last edited by tmthor; Feb 21, '17, 7:33 AM.

Comment

• Spyweb007
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 18, 2006

Doesn't Hasbro still do 3.75" Marvel figures based on the movies and cartoons? What about DC, I have seen some figures here and there at stores, but not really paying attention to whether or not they are current or just left over peg warmers.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Funko certainly has scaled back but the output seems better quality and the majority of the licenses are more bankable than their ReAction days.

I'd certainly not call the format dead, it won't be the grand scale mass market release it was but seeing as many of those ReAction lines sold poorly, that's probably a good call.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• tmthor
                God of Knock-offs
                • Nov 29, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                Funko certainly has scaled back but the output seems better quality and the majority of the licenses are more bankable than their ReAction days.

I'd certainly not call the format dead, it won't be the grand scale mass market release it was but seeing as many of those ReAction lines sold poorly, that's probably a good call.
                TY. I might have worded the thread better as a question

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Funko taking their time and not filling shelves with either nice (Universal Monsters) or truly horrendous (Biff Tannen) figures is a good thing in my mind. There are too many other companies doing "retro" right and not confusing it with "bootleg Happy Meal toy".

Everything I saw at Toy Fair this year looked really nice!

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Spyweb007
                    Persistent Member
                    • Apr 18, 2006

I think the Reaction Figure output may have suffered a little from the switch going from Funko back to Super7. I like the lines they have shown at Toy Fair but looking at the unfinished and unpainted products makes me think they had to scramble to show as much as they did. I do think the new Reaction Figure lines look a bit better planned out, not as many single figures and more complete sets from each license to collect. Can't wait to see the Apes figures on the shelf.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                      Often invisible
                      • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      Everything I saw at Toy Fair this year looked really nice!

Chris
                      I got to see these figures close up and they looked great! The '66 Batman figures looked amazing, the Planet of the Apes photos were great, He-Man looked great, and the Twin Peaks were a shock! They showed Laura Palmer wrapped in plastic (really more of a paperweight than action figure) Agent Cooper, the Log Lady, and Bob. If they make The Arm, I'll flip my wig!
                      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• tmthor
                        God of Knock-offs
                        • Nov 29, 2005

Originally posted by Spyweb007
                        I think the Reaction Figure output may have suffered a little from the switch going from Funko back to Super7. I like the lines they have shown at Toy Fair but looking at the unfinished and unpainted products makes me think they had to scramble to show as much as they did. I do think the new Reaction Figure lines look a bit better planned out, not as many single figures and more complete sets from each license to collect. Can't wait to see the Apes figures on the shelf.
                        I think your right about the set concept because i think they will be sold mostly as sets and most will not hit the shelves as they will probably not be ordered by retailers

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎