X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

"Epic" "Emotional"

These descriptors applied to the upcoming solo Batman film by the newly placed Director doesn't fill me with a lot of hope.
    So...Lego Batman is directing the new live-action Batman movie? Where's the other words to describe it? "Darkness. Complete darkness. The absence of light."

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      So...Lego Batman is directing the new live-action Batman movie? Where's the other words to describe it? "Darkness. Complete darkness. The absence of light."
      Feels like it, I tells ya!

Originally posted by Hedji
      Problem is, Batman has so much varying source material. He really means different things to different people, from different generations.
      Agreed... but they need to keep Batman and Superman consistent with their most basic elements and those elements (aside from "heroism") should be at odds for dramatic purposes... and they couldn't even do that in the past few movies... most notably the movie that they both appeared in together.

In BvS, they had the World's Greatest Detective fall prey to Lex Luthor's tricks even more than Superman did. Batman is supposed to have a constant chip on his shoulder that he overcomes because he's smart enough to be humbled by truths that Superman is too full of ego and entitlement to see. Superman's weakness is his simple, farmboy way of looking at things, causing him to rush to judgement too quickly to prevent possible mistakes. I could go on, but hopefully, now that I got some of you posters thinking (not just Hedji) you can connect the dots with what I'm getting at.

I'm not looking for miracles as far as "character authenticity"... I'm just looking for better "character consistency" as well as character archetypes that don't overlap with other, cancelling out the traditional character clashes that make for great entertainment, and that have come so naturally to the DCU's most beloved characters.

The reason why we love Timm and Dini so much is that their work reflects that they "get" this mindset.... and the reason we want WB to utilize their work, is because they've already done the heavy lifting in such a sweeping way.

I mean, the Timmverse DCAU got to the point where the characters were so well-developed from working with them in so many different scenarios with so many shifting variables, and learning from them like GOOD WRITERS DO....

In other words: if Timm/Dini's DCAU archetypes were portrayed onscreen, they could draw stellar character consistency with Supes, Bats, WW, Flash, etc and not just their own inter-personal relationships, but they'd also benefit from relationships with other Timmverse DCU characters that don't necessarily even have to show up on the big screen.
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Matt Reeves is back onboard.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎