X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
    agreed. keeping the successful TV series out of the movie verse if just plain dumb. hell, it would cross advertise and promote. WB is really missing the big picture on the cinematic universe
    There's been some hints that what derailed the Flash movie was the sucess of Gustin and the newer guy working under Johns who, IIRC, has an animation background. His job is be the grand unifier of sorts, and you can see a lot of changes and brakes being pulled after Johns brought him in.

I think those two see the big picture, but are running into movie resistance. That would also explain Affleck wanting out. He, Snyder and Ayers were the ones to kill the original post-Nolan idea of a giant DCU spanning film/TV. WB obviously sees success with DCWU as they keep adding new pilots. Perfect way to send Snyder, Affleck, Leto, etc...off would be with a Crisis announcement at SDCC. That would be a surefire way to steal some of Marvel's Inifinity thunder.

A Crisis project...Film v TV. Mo-Cap George Reeves vs Stamp Zod. Adam West v Nicholson. etc... That would absolve WB of all sins.

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
      Half joking, half serious----WB/DC should scrap whatever they have done so far regarding their superhero properties (be a nice tax write off) and get in touch with MARVEL Studios to run the cinematic arm of the DC Universe. At least then consumers would (perhaps) get interpretations of the characters they've always wanted to see and WB/DC might actually start seeing bigger box office shares...
      If I was at WB, I'd write up a plan for this. And I'm not joking AT ALL.

Get Disney behind a (give or take) 6 year/10 film plan of MCU creatives re-crafting current DCCU lackings while building this newly honed DCCU behemoth culminating with a Marvel Vs. DC film.

This is not a "crazy" idea... precedence w/Spider-Man Civil War and decades long DC/Marvel comicbook crossovers prove that.

WB should bite that bullet now, before that window is lost for a great business opportunity with maximum returns.
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

agreed. keeping the successful TV series out of the movie verse if just plain dumb. hell, it would cross advertise and promote. WB is really missing the big picture on the cinematic universe
        Totally AGREE!!
        sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by huedell
          If I was at WB, I'd write up a plan for this. And I'm not joking AT ALL.

Get Disney behind a (give or take) 6 year/10 film plan of MCU creatives re-crafting current DCCU lackings while building this newly honed DCCU behemoth culminating with a Marvel Vs. DC film.

This is not a "crazy" idea... precedence w/Spider-Man Civil War and decades long DC/Marvel comicbook crossovers prove that.

WB should bite that bullet now, before that window is lost for a great business opportunity with maximum returns.
          As I said, I was actually half-serious about the scenario and a MARVEL vs. DC movie would likely bag both companies and their parents some mighty big bucks, but I can't see Warner Bros. willing to swallow THAT much of their pride. Corporate types, for as smart as some of them are, don't seem to be able to see past making a quick buck (with the possible exception of the suits behind the MCU who were willing to gamble on a slow buildup of the MCU.)
          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

I think maybe the difference with the MCU is that Marvel created their own studio so they had total control. unfortunately it was after they had already licensed out Spiderman, Fantastic Four and Xmen

Comment

• emeraldknight47
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 20, 2011

I think maybe the difference with the MCU is that Marvel created their own studio so they had total control. unfortunately it was after they had already licensed out Spiderman, Fantastic Four and Xmen
              And Disney has made SO much money off their own properties, Marvel's properties and, of course, STAR WARS, that it seems like they could basically approach the other studios who hold the characters' right and basically just buy them back at this point, especially the FF. How can you truly have a complete MCU without Marvel's First Family?
              sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• huedell
                Museum Ball Eater
                • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                And Disney has made SO much money off their own properties, Marvel's properties and, of course, STAR WARS, that it seems like they could basically approach the other studios who hold the characters' right and basically just buy them back at this point, especially the FF. How can you truly have a complete MCU without Marvel's First Family?
                I could be misinterpreting the landscape... but it appears both money AND power play a part in making Disney an entity that wields power that the other studios could never achieve, and therefore could never throw around as Disney could.

Add to that, the aforementioned element that I have brought up repetitively in previous threads on the movie biz: The fact that getting deals go through primarily is about "investors seeing minimum risk for maximum return"... and, really, what moron doesn't think this is a good investment?

The fact you brought up WB's ego? Well, it is my humble opinion that this is the ONLY rational reason why we haven't heard rumblings of this yet... because I believe this Marvel Vs. DC plan is a concept that has been bandied about privately for a good amount of time already, and maybe this power play by Affleck's hand could reveal if I'm right.... or not
                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

So Matt Reeves signed to direct...and WB does not mention Affleck in the press release...

Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that Matt Reeves (“Dawn of the Planet of the Apes,” “Cloverfield”) has been set to direct “The Batman.” Reeves will also serve as a producer on the new standalone action adventure centering on one of DC’s most enduringly popular Super Heroes. The announcement was made by Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Content Officer, Warner Bros. Pictures Group.

Emmerich stated, “We are thrilled to have Matt Reeves taking the helm of Batman, the crown jewel of our DC slate. Matt’s deep roots in genre films and his evolution into an emotional world-building director make him the perfect filmmaker to guide the Dark Knight through this next journey.”

Matt Reeves noted, “I have loved the Batman story since I was a child. He is such an iconic and compelling character, and one that resonates with me deeply. I am incredibly honored and excited to be working with Warner Bros. to bring an epic and emotional new take on the Caped Crusader to the big screen.”
                  Batman was created by Bob Kane with Bill Finger.

“The Batman” will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                    That 80's guy
                    • Jul 27, 2011

It would be nice if they did what I've wanted for years and give Bruce Timm and company a chance at live action. That would be to awesome to ever happen though.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^AGREED. Should have happened two decades ago.

They should at least give the story to Timm, Dini and Burnett to develop.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

"Epic" "Emotional"

These descriptors applied to the upcoming solo Batman film by the newly placed Director doesn't fill me with a lot of hope.

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

How about "Fun"? or maybe "Delightful"?

Comment

• huedell
                            Museum Ball Eater
                            • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
                            How about "Fun"? or maybe "Delightful"?
                            I was looking for "Fun" and "Inspirational"... or possibly "Uplifting".... so we're really close on that one

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 20, 2011

I'd be happy with "fun, inspiring and faithful to the source material."

Comment

• Hedji
                                Citizen of Gotham
                                • Nov 17, 2012

^I like your thinking. Problem is, Batman has so much varying source material. He really means different things to different people, from different generations. For many, the video games are the source material. For others, it's Neal Adams/Denny O'Neil. Or Jim Lee. Then you have old farts like me who go back to '66 and SuperFriends.

I think the WB team probably aims for a hybrid of where they generate most of their Bat-revenue, and I'll bet anything a lot of it is from the video games. Not that there's anything wrong with video games, but that's not my personal vision of Batman.

How the deuce do you please everyone? (I haven't seen it, but it sounds like the Lego Batman tried to address that very question, with varying degrees of success).

I'd just be happy to see Batman smile once in a while. Smiling it the new brooding. It's way cool.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎