Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Starroid Raiders Dagon
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 28, 2013

So impressed with all these choices for toys. Really impressive.
    Lords of Light Action figures based on the Kirby art for me as well!

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Sweet. Mother. Of. Pearl.

They get all my money. I don't think I ever listened to an Iron Maiden song, yet I want their "Eddie" figure.

And FINALLY Brett, Parker, and Lambert. I squeeeed when I saw Jones the Cat!

Plus everything everyone else said. Lords of Light! Shogun! Aye carumba, Super7 just won ToyFair!

(The only thing I don't care for is animated style ALIEN figures. Doesn't seem to translate well.)

Comment

• Timothy2251
        Jerks beef with Ten Bears
        • Mar 15, 2008

Shogun Warrior ReAction Figures? Yep. Buyin' the whole set. Especially Dragun, as that guy was the first Shogun Warrior I ever had, followed by Godzilla.
        "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• J.B.
          Guild Navigator
          • Jun 23, 2010

Robotech Valkyries.
          You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Godzilla
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 3, 2002

For me, I think they won toyfair.
            Mortui Vivos Docent
            The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• ZMOQ
              Museum Super Collector
              • Jun 1, 2010

*Sigh* Oh, that's too bad that Funko/Super7 Reaction got the license to put out classic Apes figures. Based on the prototypes in the pics, and Funko's reputation with previous Reaction figs, all we get is 5 POA junk. Even toys at the Dollar Tree, or Big Lots have better artic. for one dollar.

It's really unfortunate that the latest Cornelius, Dr. Zaius etc. are limited to swing their arms back and forth and goosestepping. Can't properly sit down, or pose like a 1983-era Gi Joe. What a waste. I just don't see the appeal of these figs. If they want to be "retro" how 'bout 1983-retro and not 1977-retro?

Since Funko/Super7 have the license for now, that blocks other companies from doing a better job making Apes in that scale.

Far better were the 2001 Medicom/Kubrick Planet of the Apes figs. 8 POA, with the charm of LEGO (but bigger), packed with accessories and backdrops (enough to re-create the movies) and best yet- you could get 4 figs in a pack for about $14.99.

Like these:

http://apemania.com/MEDICOM.htm

Comment

• Iron Mego
                Wake Up Heavy
                • Jan 31, 2010

Funko is no longer involved in the ReAction line.
                Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
                  Career Member
                  • Sep 5, 2005

Originally posted by ZMOQ
                  Since Funko/Super7 have the license for now, that blocks other companies from doing a better job making Apes in that scale.
                  As Iron Mego pointed out, Super7 ended the d&d agreement with Funko - and I speculate in part because Funko was not hitting the design requirements. Did you look at the hard copy sculpts of the Apes that are on display? They are great on IMO, clearly showing the difference between the original concept of ReAction and what went wrong by partnering with a company that had what was perhaps a differing vision.

Also, many licenses are now split up based on design (articulation being one) rather than just scale. If a company were willing to produce POTA in a 3&3/4 Joe style, the license can be carved out. As an example, there are Predator figures with the type of articulation you discuss on display at Toy Fair right now, and Super7 has a five points of articulation Predator design in their display on that same showroom floor. The same with Alien and Aliens, I believe.

The S7 ReAction Apes hard copies:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQsroH_h...ianflynn&hl=en

Comment

• phil
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 11, 2007

I wonder how many stores will carry these new Super 7 figures.

Comment

• ZMOQ
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Jun 1, 2010

Originally posted by darkmonkeygod
                      As Iron Mego pointed out, Super7 ended the d&d agreement with Funko - and I speculate in part because Funko was not hitting the design requirements. Did you look at the hard copy sculpts of the Apes that are on display? They are great on IMO, clearly showing the difference between the original concept of ReAction and what went wrong by partnering with a company that had what was perhaps a differing vision.

Also, many licenses are now split up based on design (articulation being one) rather than just scale. If a company were willing to produce POTA in a 3&3/4 Joe style, the license can be carved out. As an example, there are Predator figures with the type of articulation you discuss on display at Toy Fair right now, and Super7 has a five points of articulation Predator design in their display on that same showroom floor. The same with Alien and Aliens, I believe.

The S7 ReAction Apes hard copies:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQsroH_h...ianflynn&hl=en
                      Shannon, Yes, I've seen the photos of the hard (resin?) copies of the Apes figures on the Toyark site. The Instagram link you posted has a better view. The heads are very well-sculpted. Impressive, actually. But the bodies... I'm not seeing any difference between the new Apes and all of the Funko Reaction garbage that came before it. Seems to me that whether Super7 or Funko or both are making these, it's all the same. 5 POA crap that's worse than real 70's era figures.

All of a sudden, I remember having some MEGO Micronauts. About 1978, when the Marvel comic came out. Even those were better. I get the impression that Funko/Super7/both are trying to emulate the Kenner Star Wars figures. But, at the time, Kenner got the license for cheap because nobody knew how big Star Wars was going to be. So, the figs were made on-the-cheap and somehow imprinted on a whole generation of kids, while superior figures of that era (Micronauts) have only a cult following now.

I can't imagine two different companies making 3.75-4 inch figures with differing articulation levels at the same time. One, or the other would scream, "Unfair competition!". It would be like ZICA, who has the Captain Action license, making some truly good 4" figs with modern articulation for $20, and then Super7 comes along, gets the SAME license and then cranks out a 3.75" Captain Action with 5 POA for $14.99. Something's gotta give. And side by side, consumers couldn't help but notice how crappy one of them is (hint: not ZICA). Super7 could say, "ours is cheaper" but since the target audience is action figure-loving adults, and not kids.... the $5 difference becomes moot, but the quality difference just screams out loud.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                        Persistent Member
                        • Apr 28, 2013

Originally posted by phil
                        I wonder how many stores will carry these new Super 7 figures.
                        I wondered this too, as the ReAction figures were on discount in the stores I visited. These are so much better but not sure if stores will take that chance, again?

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

I prefer retro looking toys and I really like the Kenner 5 POA look and style. Funko never really got it, in my opinion. They had too many questionable licenses and phoned in sculpts. I think Super7 does absolutely amazing work in the style and scale.
                          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• phil
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by Starroid Raiders Dagon
                            I wondered this too, as the ReAction figures were on discount in the stores I visited. These are so much better but not sure if stores will take that chance, again?
                            I was thinking the same thing. Barnes and Noble had a good commitment to some of the Reaction lines but stores like Target and Walmart were more hit and miss. I don't know how well Toys R Us did with them. I'm afraid a lot of retail stores will pass on these new figures. I know they will be available online but I'm old fashioned and like to see and hold what I buy.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                              Wake Up Heavy
                              • Jan 31, 2010

Shannon, Yes, I've seen the photos of the hard (resin?) copies of the Apes figures on the Toyark site. The Instagram link you posted has a better view. The heads are very well-sculpted. Impressive, actually. But the bodies... I'm not seeing any difference between the new Apes and all of the Funko Reaction garbage that came before it. Seems to me that whether Super7 or Funko or both are making these, it's all the same. 5 POA crap that's worse than real 70's era figures.

All of a sudden, I remember having some MEGO Micronauts. About 1978, when the Marvel comic came out. Even those were better. I get the impression that Funko/Super7/both are trying to emulate the Kenner Star Wars figures. But, at the time, Kenner got the license for cheap because nobody knew how big Star Wars was going to be. So, the figs were made on-the-cheap and somehow imprinted on a whole generation of kids, while superior figures of that era (Micronauts) have only a cult following now.

I can't imagine two different companies making 3.75-4 inch figures with differing articulation levels at the same time. One, or the other would scream, "Unfair competition!". It would be like ZICA, who has the Captain Action license, making some truly good 4" figs with modern articulation for $20, and then Super7 comes along, gets the SAME license and then cranks out a 3.75" Captain Action with 5 POA for $14.99. Something's gotta give. And side by side, consumers couldn't help but notice how crappy one of them is (hint: not ZICA). Super7 could say, "ours is cheaper" but since the target audience is action figure-loving adults, and not kids.... the $5 difference becomes moot, but the quality difference just screams out loud.
                              Have you seen or held any of the 3 3/4 figures that Super7 has produced on their own? There's a huge difference in quality. I have the first unpainted release of the MOTU figures they are making, and they are far superior to anything Funko put out. The sculpts are fantastic, the bodies are heavier, sturdier and better constructed. There's really no comparison.

If it's simply that you don't care for the old school 5 POA, then there's not going to be any convincing you that these will be better figures.
                              Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• darkmonkeygod
                                Career Member
                                • Sep 5, 2005

Seems to me that whether Super7 or Funko or both are making these, it's all the same. 5 POA crap that's worse than real 70's era figures.
                                What do you think about the design quality of Super7's 3.75 MOTU vs, say, the FunkoxSuper7 Nightmare Before Christmas figures?

Oh, Micronauts are fantastic, and were released in the states before Star Wars came out. The design and engineering are a marvel and I'm quite the fan. While a bit more complicated than I'm making it out, Takara's Microman draws directly from their license of Hasbro's 12 GI Joe for the Nippon market and in their turn inspired Hasbro'd design of their 3.75 inch Joes (as well as numerous Mego lines before them).

Yes, Kenner emulated the far cheaper Fisher-Price style of figure, limiting the articulation even more by removing the ball joint at the neck and, yes, they made a fortune doing so - in turn kicking off the long running trend of 3.75 inch figures that Super7 is tapping (or attempting to tap) into the nostalgia for with ReAction. I'm sure you know the genesis for the reaction line was Kenner's unproduced Alien line all based on the same buck as Star Wars. "1980" is pretty much the rallying cry behind this stuff, and it seems that is very much not for you.

I can't imagine two different companies making 3.75-4 inch figures with differing articulation levels at the same time.
                                There are quite a number of licenses that are split up across multiple categories that aren't simply scale. If a producer doesn't hold a master license for a property, then only a clear prohibition in contract would prevent the availability of a differently articulated / detailed version. I suspect, but have no direct knowledge, that the simplified design and articulation - clear market limiters - may give S7 and edge in procuring a license.

Ultimately, I don't believe Super7 is keeping anyone from creating POTA figures in the style of mid-eighties Joes. I don't think the market is there at the price point they would ring in at. That said, I sure would try to find a way to afford them should any company take the dare.

Oh yeah, do we know each other IRL? I don't recognize your user name right now.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎