Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spyweb007
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 18, 2006

Apes is a great choice for this scale, would have made for some great playsets back in the day, and there are plenty of characters to collect as well as soldier apes for army building.

Comment

• phil
      Persistent Member
      • May 11, 2007

I was thinking the Taylor figure might make a good base for a Tarzan custom.

Comment

• Spyweb007
        Persistent Member
        • Apr 18, 2006

It would be nice if the Reaction line did not limit themselves to Star Wars type articulation. Kenner did Indiana Jones figures with Knee articulation so they could ride horses and that would work great with the Apes figures. Mego Comic Action type crouched figures might work well with the apes figures also giving the figures more ape like posture. And of course, Kenner's Super Powers also had knee articulation. I do like a lot of the Funko figures that where released and get the retro look they are going for, just not sure that one style of articulation works as well for every character or line. Either way, I can't wait for the Apes, Masters of the Universe, Shogun Warriors and more. Just picked up a Funko Predator Saturday and set him on the shelf battling Funko Capt. Kirk. Being able to mix all these lines together is the biggest selling point to me.

Comment

• phil
          Persistent Member
          • May 11, 2007

I agree that being able to mix the lines is a lot of fun and a big part of the appeal. Much like the original MEGO figures.

Comment

• tmthor
            God of Knock-offs
            • Nov 29, 2005

Originally posted by phil
            I wonder how many stores will carry these new Super 7 figures.
            High end collectible stores and comic stores that can get $25-30 each for them
            (I am joking but that is the only ones who have them around me)
            Last edited by tmthor; Feb 20, '17, 9:48 PM.

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

I may get some of the apes!
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• tmthor
                God of Knock-offs
                • Nov 29, 2005

I really hope they make an effort to get these into regular stores and not only sell them online and in specialty shops.

Comment

• toysrus
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 23, 2007

When exactly will the POTA line be released? How much per figure?
                  Thank you

Comment

• ODBJBG
                    Permanent Member
                    • May 15, 2009

Can't say when they'll be released, but if the Super 7 Reaction price holds they should be $15 a pop.

Comment

• tmthor
                      God of Knock-offs
                      • Nov 29, 2005

$15 ea $90 for a set of 6

Comment

• greensavage2000
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 9, 2013

I'm not really into the reaction style, sorry, though I got the appeal. Shogun Warriors might get me depending on how they look. I'm definitely interested. Is there any photos out there yet?

Comment

• Iron Mego
                          Wake Up Heavy
                          • Jan 31, 2010

Just the prototypes linked in this thread.
                          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• ZMOQ
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Jun 1, 2010

Originally posted by darkmonkeygod
                            What do you think about the design quality of Super7's 3.75 MOTU vs, say, the FunkoxSuper7 Nightmare Before Christmas figures?

Oh, Micronauts are fantastic, and were released in the states before Star Wars came out. The design and engineering are a marvel and I'm quite the fan. While a bit more complicated than I'm making it out, Takara's Microman draws directly from their license of Hasbro's 12 GI Joe for the Nippon market and in their turn inspired Hasbro'd design of their 3.75 inch Joes (as well as numerous Mego lines before them).

Yes, Kenner emulated the far cheaper Fisher-Price style of figure, limiting the articulation even more by removing the ball joint at the neck and, yes, they made a fortune doing so - in turn kicking off the long running trend of 3.75 inch figures that Super7 is tapping (or attempting to tap) into the nostalgia for with ReAction. I'm sure you know the genesis for the reaction line was Kenner's unproduced Alien line all based on the same buck as Star Wars. "1980" is pretty much the rallying cry behind this stuff, and it seems that is very much not for you.

There are quite a number of licenses that are split up across multiple categories that aren't simply scale. If a producer doesn't hold a master license for a property, then only a clear prohibition in contract would prevent the availability of a differently articulated / detailed version. I suspect, but have no direct knowledge, that the simplified design and articulation - clear market limiters - may give S7 and edge in procuring a license.

Ultimately, I don't believe Super7 is keeping anyone from creating POTA figures in the style of mid-eighties Joes. I don't think the market is there at the price point they would ring in at. That said, I sure would try to find a way to afford them should any company take the dare.

Oh yeah, do we know each other IRL? I don't recognize your user name right now.
                            We've "met" on UniversalMonsterArmy when you helped me with identifying the Imperial Toys/Brabo Spooky Kooky boxes.

I think I'm beginning to see where we diverge on POTA Reaction. I just realized it. You guys were talking about the QUALITY of the sculpts, while I'm mostly seeing the frustrating (and needless) limitation of 5 POA. Come to think of it, the earlier Funko Reaction stuff had soft details and questionable character likeness. So it is true that the latest Super7 is superior in detail and character resemblance, and they do deserve some kudos for that.

I think you and Iron Mego are right- 5 POA is not for me, no matter how much I love the franchise. I'd accept zero POA for things like 1/32 scale miniatures, or static figurines, but for a $15 action figure- just no. I think it's a shame and a disappointment... I've loved POTA since 1973, and I really wish I could drop some dough on Cornelius, Dr. Zaius, Gen. Ursus, Taylor, Brent, Mendez, etc. if only they had the range of movement that was the norm in 1983 (Gi Joe ARAH) and not pretending to be cheap-*** wonky Kenner from 1977. If only ZICA can make a bid on POTA. One can always dream, huh?

1:18 is not truly my preferred scale, but I can be convinced to part with my money if something genuinely jaw-dropping comes along. My current 1:18 love is from indie toy company Boss Fight Studio. For $19.99, you can get a figure with 26 (or more) POA, and loaded with accessories. Their only theme right now is Greek Mythology, but they have more planned. So, if I'm going to toss my money around for 1:18, it will be BFS, not Reaction.

Comment

• jacoblb
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 7, 2009

I like these, not sure I'll ever get any though as I have to draw the line and keep my toy buying habits mainly down to reMego and Lego. But cool stuff indeed. Never thought I'd see Go Nagai and other things at this scale.

Comment

• spockoda
                                Museum Super Collector
                                • Jan 14, 2018

I am definitely interested in the Planet Of The Apes figures as I tend to lean more towards science fiction franchises in my collecting and I would buy the Shogun Warriors for nostalgia reasons. Although nostalgia is 90% of my collecting anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎