X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZMOQ
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jun 1, 2010

"Pirates of the Caribbean" figures based on ride attraction not movie

Just got back from Disney World in Florida.

I was on the treasure hunt in Adventureland, and it (of course) sent me to the Pirate's Bazaar gift shop several times to hunt for clues. Then I saw THIS for sale!

Had to get it, of course. $16.99 for all six of them. My first love is the Pirates ride attraction at Disneyland, not so much Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow, who, I think, has a little too much media overexposure.

I'd think these should also be available now at Downtown Disney in Anaheim, although I'm not planning a trip there for this year.

Something like this makes me dream of a whole series of 4" Pirates figurines, based on the ride... so I can build a miniature ride mock-up, featuring "Dunking the Mayor in the town's well", "We wants the Redhead auction scene", "Drunken pirates shoot at each other perched on cannons and crates of dynamite", "Jailed pirates try to coax key from a dog".

And yep, these are 4" figures. Perfectly compatible with the whole slew of modern, poseable 3.5"-4" skeletons that are sold today through Amazon, Boss Fight Studio and Rakuten.
  • GlobalObserver
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 12, 2004

I loved the MPC model kits when I was a kid.

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

Nice souvenir pick up at Disney, always loved that ride attraction and those model kits are great,
      makes me want to search for them now.

Comment

• ZMOQ
        Museum Super Collector
        • Jun 1, 2010

Originally posted by tjacwave50
        Nice souvenir pick up at Disney, always loved that ride attraction and those model kits are great,
        makes me want to search for them now.
        They're VERY pricey these days, even partially built ones. Even the *empty boxes* sell! A year or two ago, I was poking around ebay, and I might have gotten "Hoist High..." for $56, because the seller misspelled "Caribbean" and the kit did not show up in searches. LOL. Unfortunately, I let the opportunity pass.

I had several of the kits when I was a kid. "Hoist High the Jolly Roger", "Fate of the Mutineers". My bro was the one who got the best of the kits- "Dead Man's Raft". I remember that the instruction sheet came with a diagram about how you could arrange the built-up kits to make your own mini-attraction ride. It also had a cool badge/belt buckle of the famous "talking skull" at the beginning of the ride. We disposed of the model kits decades ago, sadly.

I think prices are high these days because the kits had never been reissued. Probably a licensing issue with Disney.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎