Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LordMudd
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 22, 2011

Yvonne Craig licensed her likeness. Anyone wishing to use it needed her permission. This only applied to the TV Batgirl, as well as Marta from Star Trek. Even just the idea of licensing ones likeness did not even exist in the industry when Lugosi did Dracula. He could have become very rich given the amount of merchandising done. Ferrigno needed a much better agent, he got royally screwed. Images of characters created by artists, including characters like R2D2 and C3PO, fall under 'intellectual property.' This is where heirs are being able to reclaim 'losses' in most cases. It usually does not apply to an actor portraying a character the actor did not create.

CCC.

Comment

• supes
      For the love of Mego's!
      • Jan 19, 2004

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      Dan Greenfield has been covering this line heavily on 13th Dimension, and he seems confident we'll know about Series 2 soon. I hope he's right.

Your Batcave of information on Funko’s line of action figures.

Chris
      Funko senior designer Reis O’Brien has left a comment confirming that there will be a Wave 2 — and that it will be out this summer.

For the love of Mego's

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

Sad that the most classic era of TV and movies... you know, that era where we didn't have the Internet to thin out the pool in a major way... were operating in a way that everybody was fine with before merchandising really took off.

That said: It hit the scene WAY before the Internet actually emerged... I mean, one only has to look at the whole Schneider/Wopat Dukes Of Hazzard strike to see the impact of that battle way underway at that point.

Despite the idea of the actors being "exploited" being a reasonable take, its hard not to see the view that the studios put up the money and the actors initially sign away their likenesses for 0-x amount of dollars, and that should be the end of it.

As pointed out, that isn't going to happen in 2018 because everyone is in the know... but the fact that studios had to retroactively suffer for something they had no direct hand in, still feels weird. Its the same for comicbook artists and writers whose forefathers were in a similar situation and almost single-handedly saved by Neal Adams campaigns.

Am I happy that Adams was successful? I suppose. But I feel there's much more value in what he achieved going forward than the rewards that were granted to those in the past.

That said: there IS a certain amount of guilt that I'm sure modern comicbook writers/artists would feel living the secure life while watching the creators of Superman go destitute just because they had the misfortune of living in a different era.

Its almost like out of guilt, the retro-contract re-workings had to be addressed before modern artists lobbied for their own "ownership"/royalties.
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• toothaction
          Career Member
          • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by supes
          Funko senior designer Reis O’Brien has left a comment confirming that there will be a Wave 2 — and that it will be out this summer.
          Any further word out there? News, good or bad, would be most welcome.
          >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

^I kept hearing the line isn't dead, but it's lack of any kind of presence at SDCC tells me otherwise.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

I may have my facts wrong, but I'd heard that Reis O'Brien was at Comic Con, not representing Funko. He seems to have disassociated himself with the Batman 66 line completely.

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

Is there anything still being produced for '66?

Lego, Mattel 6", FTC, BR box set, comics, animated movies, Hot Wheels, Funko...all done. Is Hallmark it?

I think the license went dormant with West's passing.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                  Permanent Member
                  • May 15, 2009

Is FTC done? It wasn't that long ago they did the henchman sets was it? I know there's not much more for them to do, but they might still have something in the pipeline.

I heard a random rumor that Super7 was actually looking into finishing out Wave 2 from Funko, but I don't know if there's any validity to it.

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

I thought FTC was done. Who did Funko make that FTC hasn't? Bookworm?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

FTC did Bookworm in wave three, I think. I thought FTC was done with Batman'66 in relation to their license and had moved on to Wonder Woman '77.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        FTC did Bookworm in wave three, I think. I thought FTC was done with Batman'66 in relation to their license and had moved on to Wonder Woman '77.
                        It looks like the 66 Batman line is completed, I hope not because there's still more arch criminals that can be done,
                        maybe an email to FTC asking if the line is finished.

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

Diamond is still making busts...I think they have Bruce, Dick and Alfred coming out this year. Moebius is down to their last model with Batgirl.

But I think the license is pretty much played out by now. There was so much all at once, but good grief what an awesome run. More stuff than I ever dreamed we'd see in a lifetime.

Six different toy lines...busts, statues, maquettes, model kits...what a feast!

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

Tweeterhead is still making statues.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

Funko is making 66 Pop Pez dispensers.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                                Hi Ernie!!!
                                • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                                series 4 actually with Tut, Freeze and Alfred
                                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎