Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: after 13 plus years...

Austin isn't wrong on this and neither is Dwayne. It's all situational. It's also something I never really had to deal with. I've terminated associates for a variety of reasons, but once an employee makes a two week notice official and in writing the employer is obligated to honor that timeframe or pay the associate forward for time scheduled until the end of the notice term. I know that's Ohio law, but I think it's universal.
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by megowgsh View Post
    No matter how they handled the situation there would be problems. They chose the path they felt would cause the fewest "ripples in the water".

It's not easy being the boss. Maybe that's why most people never become one.
    Trust me, they caused more ripples and lost more respect of the employees still there.
    Planet Earth is Blue

Quote Originally Posted by megowgsh View Post
    Why does everything have to be discussed in "absolutes" with you?!
    Because I'm a simpleton...or maybe just naive. I don't believe in pre-emptive discipline. That's probably why I've been burned a few times by other people. But I have a very clear view of what I think is right and wrong. I know there are bad employees out there...I've had to deal with them myself when it's deserved, but I refuse to punish good people "just in case" they turn out to be bad. I think it's wrong.

Images
    I think it very much depends on the field in which you work. I work in the medical field and teach at a university and both areas typically see notices in terms of months with 1 to 6 months being common. That's based on the responsibilities that have to be transitioned, a new job usually means a move across country, and moving happens once classes are done (during winter/ summer breaks). I think I have seen only 3 transitions go badly in my years in this field. When they do go badly, that stigma will follow you around forever.

I just left last Friday a horrible situation at a job I had been at for about 8.5 years. Not only did I work on clinical cases until nearly 5pm on my last day, but I also have multiple projects with people at my old job that I will continue to work on now that I'm gone. I gave a months notice due to crappy circumstances and that was considered fast.
    Mortui Vivos Docent
    The Dead Teach the Living

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Axe View Post
    Austin isn't wrong on this and neither is Dwayne. It's all situational. It's also something I never really had to deal with. I've terminated associates for a variety of reasons, but once an employee makes a two week notice official and in writing the employer is obligated to honor that timeframe or pay the associate forward for time scheduled until the end of the notice term. I know that's Ohio law, but I think it's universal.
    There is no requirement under Federal Law **although I'm sure there are state exceptions**

http://www.workplacefairness.org/final-pay#2

2. If I give my employer a two-week notice of the date of my termination, can my employer fire me before the end of those two weeks and not pay me?

Yes. Most employees, unless under a contractual agreement, are employees at will and can be terminated at any time. Generally, companies will honor the two-week notice and pay the employee for the last two weeks even if the employer does not allow the employee to work during that time period. However, there is no federal law which requires the employer to pay employees or even allow them to work during that two-week notice period.
    Last edited by megomania; Feb 19, '17 at 1:23 PM.

Images
    The so called "Corporate" mentality has infested small business' Been that way for at least the last 10 years or so...At least it has here in New York. Don't know about other parts of the country.
    "When not too many people can see we're all the same
    And because of all their tears,
    Their eyes can't hope to see
    The beauty that surrounds them
    Isn't it a pity".

- "Isn't It A Pity"
    By George Harrison

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list:
    Good Traders List - Page 80 - Mego Talk

Images
    Companies expect their employees to be loyal, respectful and dedicated to them, but do not give their employees those same courtesies. Unfortunately, many businesses believe they are doing you a favor just by giving you a job, while at the same time paying you barely enough to keep you coming back every day.

Images
    I hope you are enjoying your new gig starting up. I just full filled my two week notice and even have a week off until I start at my new job. It's a good way of recharging and putting my old workplace behind and preparing and studying for the new tasks at hand.