Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

I had a situation once where my sister left a terrible job...her boss was a complete ***. At the last minute she refused to let her take a vacation day to attend my wedding, even though she had put in for it two months in advance and it was approved.

Comment

• knight errant00
      8 Inch Action Figure
      • Nov 15, 2005

It's happened to me before. Take the money, run, and set up lunch with the folks you wanted to say good bye to. If you haven't moved up the start date on the new position yet, enjoy some downtime.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Congrats on the new job, but yeah, that kind of says it all about your former employer. Better to get out of THAT place!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• megomania
          Persistent Member
          • Jan 2, 2010

Congrats on the new job - I'm sure it was the right thing to do.

It sucks how they treated you but sadly that's how HR works...I got laid off 2 years ago after nearly 8 years at the company and they gave me 30 minutes to pack up my personal belongings and leave the building.

-Chris

Comment

• SKotK
            Career Member
            • Mar 11, 2014

When a company shows no loyalty to their employees, how do they ever expect employees to show loyalty to their company? You gave them 13 years of your life and a courtesy exit notice, and they gave you the boot. Nice.

Just curious, what was their reasoning for showing you the door rather than letting you work out your days? Did they give any indication?

--SKot
            Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Godzilla
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 3, 2002

Living well is the best revenge. Congrats on the new gig and enjoy it!
              Mortui Vivos Docent
              The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by SKotK
                When a company shows no loyalty to their employees, how do they ever expect employees to show loyalty to their company? You gave them 13 years of your life and a courtesy exit notice, and they gave you the boot. Nice.

Just curious, what was their reasoning for showing you the door rather than letting you work out your days? Did they give any indication?

--SKot
                They said that's what is done in management positions. That was it. Not two words from my department head.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• SKotK
                  Career Member
                  • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                  They said that's what is done in management positions. That was it. Not two words from my department head.
                  Well. I guess that's modern corporate America for you.

It's hard not to get political about this one.

--SKot
                  Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                    I had the new job before I turned in my notice, former positions was at a public gardens in central florida and I really didn't think they would do me like that, I did send my exit interview form home so I could shoot it back to the HR person and President, so they had a nice read. New job is a big step up in pay at a college here in FLA. I cleaned out my stuff last weekend as I thought just maybe they would pull something like this. The department head is very petty and arrogant and my immediate supervisor is incompetent and I am not sure why he is there. He knows nothing about horticulture.
                    What's the best way to grow Jamaica Blue Mountain?

sigpic

Comment

• LadyZod
                      Superman's Gal Pal
                      • Jan 27, 2007

I'm disappointed on how your former place treated you; as a disposable cup. Most place treat their employees that way, unfortunately.

I am happy to hear you're in a better paying position. You deserve it.

Tell the the old management to take a leap into the lily pads.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                      Check out my art:
                      Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                      Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Hector
                        What's the best way to grow Jamaica Blue Mountain?
                        You have to check with Tommy Chong.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• megowgsh
                          Customego HoF Curator
                          • Nov 19, 2003

As a business owner once an employee tells me they are moving on, I show them the door.

Not because I am a jerk of a boss or a jerk of a person, but once a person has made their mind up to move on, their mind is on their new job and not on the job I am paying them for.

You took a new job for a reason. Move on if you think the grass is greener and be glad they paid your severance.

Your employer owes you nothing more than the salary they paid you for your work. And, it sounds like they did that.

Put yourself in their shoes for a minute and ask yourself if you'd want a disgruntled employee to continue to work for you while they have this other job lined up. Why would I want that person to continue to work for me and tell other employees about their new job and how good it will be and how bad it is here working for me? That is one problem I as an employer do not need.

There are two sides to this story people. I hope I was able to shed light on the side of the employer.

Austin
                          Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• TomStrong
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 22, 2011

Originally posted by megowgsh
                            As a business owner once an employee tells me they are moving on, I show them the door.

Not because I am a jerk of a boss or a jerk of a person, but once a person has made their mind up to move on, their mind is on their new job and not on the job I am paying them for.

You took a new job for a reason. Move on if you think the grass is greener and be glad they paid your severance.

Your employer owes you nothing more than the salary they paid you for your work. And, it sounds like they did that.

Put yourself in their shoes for a minute and ask yourself if you'd want a disgruntled employee to continue to work for you while they have this other job lined up. Why would I want that person to continue to work for me and tell other employees about their new job and how good it will be and how bad it is here working for me? That is one problem I as an employer do not need.

There are two sides to this story people. I hope I was able to shed light on the side of the employer.

Austin
                            Indeed you did.

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

Congratulations on the new job, Joe. Just remember: everything ends badly, otherwise, it wouldn't end. Best to focus on the new opportunity in front of you.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                                Hi Ernie!!!
                                • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by megowgsh

Austin
                                And now my former employer had to deal with the fallout of the badwill they demonstrated by going about this the way they did. The place was not some cutthroat insurance sales place or whatever, it was supposed to be all touchy feely and nice. Its all good and I'm moving on to what should be a new challenge and a better working environment. The bump in pay and perks doesn't hurt either.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎