X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Uhhhhmmm...WHY??!!??

I've posted in the past of the sheer stupidity of speculators in the comic collecting circles. This is one of those things that makes me say Uhhhhmmm...WHY??!!??

It's an F'n Scooby Doo comic...give me a break with this idiocy. It can't be because of the Hanna Barbera DC revival. If it is, then there is truly a "Sucker born every minute."

• MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

The market evolves. It is a 40 year old Bronze Age #1. It's older now than Fantastic Four #1 was when that issue of Scooby Doo was published, and is as old now as Action Comics #1 was when that issue came out. Different generations have different things they remember fondly and are willing to pay for to recapture those memories. It's all a matter of perspective and preference. I wouldn't pay it, but then I would pay a million plus for an Action #1 either even if I had the means to do so, so it's to each their own and I try not to criticize the collecting habits of others because my habits are just as suspect to someone who doesn't share my bias and experiences.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Blue Meanie
      Banned
      • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by MRP
      The market evolves. It is a 40 year old Bronze Age #1. It's older now than Fantastic Four #1 was when that issue of Scooby Doo was published, and is as old now as Action Comics #1 was when that issue came out. Different generations have different things they remember fondly and are willing to pay for to recapture those memories. It's all a matter of perspective and preference. I wouldn't pay it, but then I would pay a million plus for an Action #1 either even if I had the means to do so, so it's to each their own and I try not to criticize the collecting habits of others because my habits are just as suspect to someone who doesn't share my bias and experiences.

-M
      This is NOT someone that is collecting cause it reminds them of their childhood. I'm sorry...there is no way that is happening in this case. If, by any slightest chance it is, someone needs to take this "Collector" to a room and explain to them "How" to collect. You don't throw that kind of money at a book that is a common book and can probably be found in any antique mall strip for about $1 or less. Collecting at first was always about, especially when it comes to comics, getting as many of the issues as possible no matter what the condition was. It was about the story. Going through my collection right now and cringing at some of the back issues that I have that are basically VG's at best. I bought them because I wanted to READ them. This auction I posted is about pure speculation and nothing more. It's inconceivable that someone would throw $145 at a Scooby Doo book because it reminded them of their childhood.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
        This is NOT someone that is collecting cause it reminds them of their childhood. I'm sorry...there is no way that is happening in this case. If, by any slightest chance it is, someone needs to take this "Collector" to a room and explain to them "How" to collect. You don't throw that kind of money at a book that is a common book and can probably be found in any antique mall strip for about $1 or less. Collecting at first was always about, especially when it comes to comics, getting as many of the issues as possible no matter what the condition was. It was about the story. Going through my collection right now and cringing at some of the back issues that I have that are basically VG's at best. I bought them because I wanted to READ them. This auction I posted is about pure speculation and nothing more. It's inconceivable that someone would throw $145 at a Scooby Doo book because it reminded them of their childhood.
        And how exactly do you know this? Who are you to determine what something is worth to someone else? You probably wouldn't pay $$$$ for a sealed model kit and then open and build it either.
        And your comment about explaining to them "how" to collect reeks of arrogance. Sorry. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to collect. My dad thinks toy collecting is stupid. He wouldn't pay $1 for a mint carded Iron Man because he could care less. To him, it's just a toy and might as well be garbage. At the end of the day it's whatever makes that person happy, which is nobody else's business.

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

I would guess it's a huge Scooby-Doo fan more so than sentimentality.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
            Banned
            • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
            And how exactly do you know this? Who are you to determine what something is worth to someone else? You probably wouldn't pay $$$$ for a sealed model kit and then open and build it either.
            And your comment about explaining to them "how" to collect reeks of arrogance. Sorry. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to collect. My dad thinks toy collecting is stupid. He wouldn't pay $1 for a mint carded Iron Man because he could care less. To him, it's just a toy and might as well be garbage. At the end of the day it's whatever makes that person happy, which is nobody else's business.
            It's not arrogance it's common sense. It's a Scooby Doo book. It's not FF 1 or Spidey 1. If you want to relive a memory that's all fine and dandy...but be sensible about it. Take a poll of people here that are comic READERS/collectors and I guarantee you that NOBODY would pay that kind of scratch for that book. Hell, they wouldn't pay it for some of the books they are looking for to fill holes in their collection. That's a fact and not fiction. I have no problem with you buying a model kit and opening it and building it. I would do the same thing in your shoes...but that Scooby book is pure speculation and nothing more. If you can't see that then I need some rose colored glasses to see what you guys are seeing...cause I just don't buy it.

Comment

• MRP
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2016

Yet people here do it for carded Megos all the time when you could get one in far worse condition and play with it for much less. For years I saw them cheap at tag sales and what have you, and then I didn't because the market changed. The market is always evolving. For someone who discovered Scooby Doo in say the 90s or 2000s who is just getting their first job or their first job that provides disposable income who loved Scooby as a kid, this is a book from the depths of time as it came out before they were born and it's a #1. We don't know and you're making assumptions as to who bought it and why. Is the person who bought it wrong for doing so? Do they love Scooby Doo and collecting the wrong way? That's up to them to decide, not you. If it was worth it to them, good on them. If it's not worth it to you, don't buy it. But don't be judgmental and tell them they collect wrong. There is no one right way to collect. There are thousands of right ways. For me, I think completionism is stupid. Only get the pieces or issues you like, don't buy something you don't really like because you need to complete a set with a few things you do. I think that only supports subpar products when I only want to support the quality pieces I like, and encourages companies to hack out pieces they know will sell because completionists have to have them rather than because it is a good piece. But that only works for me, not someone else, and if they want to compete a set, more power to them, but I am not going to do it. So your right way of collecting is different than mine. So what. We're both fueled by our love of things we want to have, we just go about it differently.

-M
              "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                Banned
                • Jun 23, 2001

So is this sentimentality??!!??

It's a crappy reprint...you'd pay that much for a crappy reprint??!!??

Comment

• WannabeMego
                  Made in the USA
                  • May 2, 2003

Those who 'Play' the Speculation Game usually get Burned.

I honestly do not care what other people pay for a book, as long as any irrationality/speculation does not impact what I'm trying to buy/need.

Kudos to the Seller.
                  Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DETECTIVE-CO...p2047675.l2557

Apparently so would a lot of people. Every graded copy sold for between $150-200, and an Adam West signed copy went for $2500. Pretty good for a crappy reprint.

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

We go way back BM... and I surely like you more than you like me (which I think is "not at all")... but I say this as a long-time Mego brother.... I've gone from reading your posts and getting amped up, to reading your posts and saying to myself: "Is BM being light-heartedly hyperbolic, or is he a straight-out comicbook fascist?"

C'mon man, give peace (and reprints) a chance
                      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• MRP
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2016

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DETECTIVE-CO...p2047675.l2557

By that logic, why would anyone buy this...

it's just a (to borrow your words) a crappy (collection of) reprints, so why would anyone waste their money on it? You'd pay that much for reprints?

Unless you own the original art for a comic, whatever you own is a mass produced reproduction of that art-whether its a 1st print or 21st print, the "original" gloppy or a trade collection, they're all reprints made form an original piece, so why pay premium prices for any comic, none of them are originals or unique, they are basically the equivalent of prints made of a piece of art not pieces of art themselves.

But people spend money on things they like or want whether it makes sense to someone else or not.

Also if a reprint/reproduction can't be bought for sentimentality (which seems to be your argument), why would any Mego fan by any of the Re-Mego stuff, I mean it's just reproductions so sentimentality can't be behind people's willingness to spend money on it right?

-M
                        Last edited by MRP; Feb 12, '17, 7:42 PM.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                          Banned
                          • Jun 23, 2001

There's a big difference in spending 15 - 25 for a re-mego and $150 for a really bad reprint of a Batman story that you could get in a DC archive with 5 other stories for $50. They're not the same.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Why does this get you so bent out of shape? No one buy your Scooby Doo books? It really shouldn't bother you so much, but it does time and time again.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                              Banned
                              • Jun 23, 2001

It bothers me because it's ruining the industry/hobby/reading. One feeds the other. Speculators feed Marvel/DC/Image etc. by all of those companies making variant covers, blowing up the universes, and more just so that it feeds right back to the speculators buying and selling. It's like a vicious circle. Speculation affects everything in the comic book industry. I personally am tired of being fed crap from these companies. It all starts with speculation in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎