Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FTC Mego Box vs. Original Mego Box (w/pics)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScottA
    Original Member
    • Jun 25, 2001

FTC Mego Box vs. Original Mego Box (w/pics)

I had to order some parts for the MM exclusive and added a boxed Robin. Here are side-by-side shots of the FTC Mego boxed Robin against an original Mego boxed Robin. I tried to line up the bottoms in each shot for reference.

This picture is straight our of the box my order was placed in. I did not mess with the FTC box in any way. You can tell it's a hair shorter than an original Mego box and the window lines do not line up.

This next picture is the figures and inserts removed. Nothing more.

This one shows there are 4 holes to attach the figure to the insert. I have no idea if this was the plan or not.

In this one I actually messed with the FTC Robin.

This final one is him back in the box after I futzed with him for a minute. I think he looks pretty good.

My takeaway is I think it's more the insert than the actual box. The vertical distance of the insert above his head is greater in the FTC box than the Mego. That forces the figure down farther in the box thus pushing his feet out of the bottom. In the last pick his knees are indeed bent just slightly. You hay have to bend them more with a figure that wears hero boots since their ankles won't bend like Robins or Jokers. You could also try and re-fold the head of the insert to give you more room. Of course if the insert was perfect you probably wouldn't see his hairline.

BUT - overall I like him and will get more as I can. Are they perfect - no. But not many toys are nowadays.
    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH
  • Riderfan
    Megos are cool
    • Feb 14, 2012

Certainly a lot better than what many of us were thinking-thanks for this review!

Oh so close to being bang on though, eh?

K
    I've come here to chew bubblegum & kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum

(Rowdy Roddy Piper in 'They Live' 1988)

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Thusly, I'm wondering how these FTC boxes might be with a shorter figure like Penguin and a tweaked or new insert. Hmmmm......
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        Thusly, I'm wondering how these FTC boxes might be with a shorter figure like Penguin and a tweaked or new insert. Hmmmm......
        It would be funny if you just traded a height issue for a depth issue with the "fat body"...

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

Scott, thanks for the pictures. You are a good man for posting these. And not for nothing, that Mego boxed Robin is an incredible piece.

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

FTC does more to create problems for themselves by posting lousy photos than any company I have ever seen. I sometimes get the impression they have a 10 year old setting up shots. I would like to see if this spacing holds true for Batman and a few of the others where the knees are severely bent. Thanks though for posting this one. I really appreciate it. It just makes me shake my head though why FTC doesn't wake up and post several themselves to explain this nonsense. They sure have no IQ when it comes to presentation.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

I wonder if the changes FTC made were intentional to distinguish their boxes from originals? Notice FTC added a white highlight on Robin's name, absent from the original. There's really no other reason to make such an aesthetic change.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ Seems like the modern DC logo and lack of a Mego one would be enough of a tell for them.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• warlock664
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by MIB41
                  FTC does more to create problems for themselves by posting lousy photos than any company I have ever seen. I sometimes get the impression they have a 10 year old setting up shots. I would like to see if this spacing holds true for Batman and a few of the others where the knees are severely bent.
                  That's very true.
                  Check out FTC's website: it seems they've updated their boxed hero pics with less extreme "bent knee" photos (with the exception of Batgirl):

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by warlock664
                    That's very true.
                    Check out FTC's website: it seems they've updated their boxed hero pics with less extreme "bent knee" photos (with the exception of Batgirl):

http://figurestoycompany.com/newproducts.aspx
                    Thanks for the link! Nice to see someone took new shots. Looks like Green Arrow needs a little tinkering but RC Batman looks good enough. Like the Robin artwork. Looks like the actual artwork Mego emulated on theirs.

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics, Scott.

Now, looking at FTC's new pics:

Hmm. Without being too mean, I'll say that they still don't do what they're supposed to do, and that is present well. Considering it's just the packaging, could they cut their losses and try again? It seems to me the costs of box printing would be less than figure production. This is really hard to defend. They still either have to twist to one side or crouch slightly to look even close to presentable.

Comment

• Gumby01
                        • Dec 7, 2015

I agree with you on that it doesn't present well. I'm going to skip these unless they correct them. Seriously, how hard is it to copy the dimensions of a box (including the clear window and insert) that was made 40+ years ago? If the manufacturers screwed them up, then FTC should of insisted on a re-do. Also, thank you to everyone that posted pics of these for us to review.

Comment

• megalomaniac001
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 24, 2009

The difference Kind of reminds me of the diamond marvel boxes

Comment

• tiinacat
                            Museum Patron
                            • Feb 4, 2015

Same exact size. Only difference is Diamond ones don't have insert just plane boring brown cardboard.

Comment

• Ninersphan1
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 27, 2009

Hmm don't know whether to be happy or sad about this. Happy, cause it looks like all I have to do is trim and refold the insert and the figure will fit well, or sad, because now I'll be dropping a boatload of cash.

Thank you though for definitively clearing it up.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎